PDA

View Full Version : Aggressive Gelding! Any Ideas?

Captain's Mom
Dec. 29, 2009, 06:06 PM
My seven year old haffie gelding, Cappie, has started charging our fell pony gelding, Laddie. He has always been top man with our other horses but, recently, he seems to have focused most of his aggression toward Laddie. For example, Cappie will bolt from his lead to charge at poor Laddie. We do not know
when he was gelded but we bought him as a 4 yo gelding.
We would like to do trails together but with this huge issue, that idea is out of the question.
Please share suggestions or similar experiences.
Thank you!
Captain's Mom

Isabeau Z Solace
Dec. 29, 2009, 07:54 PM
Well, more details are needed.

BUT I expect any horse I have in hand, under saddle, etc. to do EXACTLY as I say. No charging your buddies, nipping your buddies, etc.

Once they are out in the field, you are out of luck. I have had horses that lived together for years have a disagreement one day and get pretty seriously injured. Or, I added a new gelding to a group, and one of a pair of former friends decided he liked the new guy a lot more. Started chasing his old buddy around the field with a look of murder in his eye!

You ought to be able to trail ride the horses together so long as they are obedient enough to stay out of the personal space of one another. If their dislike of one another overwhelms their obedience to the rider/handler, then you've got some more training to do. But do not expect them to be inches away from one another and still behave. A certain 'bubble of personal space' should be respected.

shawneeAcres
Dec. 29, 2009, 08:03 PM
Are their other horses in the mix, maybe mares??? Often you will see this type of agression when there are mares, rarely however, does it cross over to under saddle work. It is more of a teritorial thing and Under saddle the territory seems to not be there. However the fact you say he "bolts from his lead" is he then being lead when he does this? if so then PUT A LUNGE LINE WITH a CHAIN over his nose. When he does it, act like you are going to RIP HIS HEAD off for about 15 seconds, then go back to normal. If he tried again do the same thing. You will have to do this a few times, but when he realizes YOU are alpha not him, things will change quickly!

RugBug
Dec. 29, 2009, 11:01 PM
Didn't you post a while back about problems with the same horse?

If so, same advice.

ClassyRide
Dec. 30, 2009, 10:15 AM
...However the fact you say he "bolts from his lead" is he then being lead when he does this? if so then PUT A LUNGE LINE WITH a CHAIN over his nose. When he does it, act like you are going to RIP HIS HEAD off for about 15 seconds, then go back to normal. If he tried again do the same thing. You will have to do this a few times, but when he realizes YOU are alpha not him, things will change quickly!

This is the type of point I was going to make. We may not know the entire story based off of your description, but assuming it's a plain old dominance issue, then you need to give him CLEAR boundaries, telling him that when you're around, he MUST NOT charge the pony - it is unacceptable. And having a "come to jesus" meeting may be what is needed to get the point across to him - you know your boy better than we do, so make your "point" as emphatically as necessary, but no more than that.

When I brought my new mare home, my gelding charged her a couple of times in front of me. Those couple of times was all that was needed for him to get the point that it's not allowed - at least when I'm there. He's never tried it again.

Best of luck to you with your haffie boy.

Captain's Mom
Dec. 30, 2009, 12:07 PM
Thanks for all your responses, everyone. Cappie will have his come to Jesus moment with Laddie and I will let you know how it goes.

Captain's Mom

judybigredpony
Dec. 30, 2009, 04:25 PM
One word...Regumate

cooljenn77
Dec. 31, 2009, 03:30 PM
has anything in his enviroment changed? even something small? If he's never been this way before and to suddenly change something must be up. But i Agree on not letting him get away with it while your handling him ,he has to respect you always.

i wouldn't regumate him, unless you get his testosterone levels checked 1st.

Midge
Jan. 1, 2010, 10:23 AM
This is so out of left field, I hate to mention it, but I owned the best horse in the entire world, who suddenly started attacking his pony turnout partner, as in drawing blood, etc. At the same time, he was becoming a bit unpredictable under saddle.

It was alfalfa. Dr. Jekyll and Mr. Hyde. I inadvertantly had the chance to do a follow up experiment.

Alfalfa.