It was determined that the horse was probably poled :no:

rwh
Dec. 29, 2009, 08:52 PM
This has been discussed in depth.

It was determined that the horse was probably poled :no:

What does "poled" mean?

jse
Dec. 29, 2009, 09:13 PM
It's not necessarily poled. We have free jumped a 2 year old Cassini stallion in our training and he has this same TYPE of reaction. It's nowhere near the EXACT same reaction but he umm...jumped out of the end jump of the jump shoot from a standstill and cleared it. The jumps here are much smaller than the ones in the OP video, but you get the point.

See here:
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=FQbMlLQ8aEE

What does "poled" mean?
"Poling" is when someone stands by a jump as a horse goes over it and lifts the pole to their feet as they jump, making them scared to hit the jump and in the end they jump higher. Some horses are just naturally careful. If our mare hits a rail the jump after is AMAZING and we have never so much as lifted a pole to her legs.

mortebella
Dec. 30, 2009, 08:44 AM
My understanding of "poling" has always been a bit more drastic than that. I suppose there's more than one way to do it, and just spooking the horse by making the jump suddenly get larger at the last second might be one. And, I've never actually seen it done either, so I suppose I don't know all that much about it. But I've always heard it described as the practice of whacking the horse's legs with a pole as he jumps to make him think all jumps "bite," and therefore, whenever jumping he needs to make darn sure he doesn't get anywhere close to the thing. :(

WorthTheWait95
Dec. 30, 2009, 09:05 AM
When I've seen it done (not from personal experience but watching some folks school at their farms in FLA) people use a bamboo pole and rap the horses legs with it in the air so they think the jump 'bit' them. It's light and fairly flimsy and will break if the horse takes it with them by accident.

I've owned a few horses that were poled in the past by previous owners (probably badly) and it's a PITA. They were already careful and scopey naturally, it seems all the poling did was install a dirty stop and make them not want to go near any jump that any one was standing even remotely close to.

gooselover
Dec. 30, 2009, 11:28 PM
Back in the 60's and 70's at the barn I was at, this was a common practice with the owner/trainer of the barn I was at. I was a young girl and didn't think twice about it at the time. However, as I got older and thinking back, there were alot of the horses that were stoppers and I wondered if it was because of this practice.:no:

Individualblue07
Dec. 31, 2009, 12:33 PM
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=URPI-bakXV8

those horses are nice jumpers too. Its a shame that when people see a horse these days that can jump so well... its automatically thought of polling. especially since people are known to do dirty things just to get that extra edge... :no:

SaturdayNightLive
Dec. 31, 2009, 01:52 PM
So far as I know, it's common practice for horses to be poled before they are presented at inspections in Europe. It's probably not allowed, strictly speaking, but it does go on. The horse in the first video just screams "I've been poled!" to me, as it leaps over its shoulder in an exaggerated effort to avoid the top rail. It's a nice horse, but its jumping style looks artificial.