PDA

View Full Version : Jerre Frankhouser

ponei
Dec. 29, 2009, 03:44 PM
Has/does anybody ride with him?

I made a post a while ago looking for H/J trainer suggestions and I am interested in Jerre.
What is he/his lessons like?
Is he difficult to contact/set up lessons with?
Any ideas on lesson prices?

Before I call and try to set up a lesson or whatever I was just hoping to maybe find some people who know him and could fill me in a little bit. :)

hellerkm
Dec. 29, 2009, 04:44 PM
I don't know much but will tell you what i do know. Two weeks ago at a local horse show we ran into him, my mom took a lesson with him a few years back, just one. She likes and respects him and was very impressed that he remembered her at the horse show.
A few of his kids rode in classes with my daughter, they were good little riders and very respectful. He was polite and good with the kids.
I have only ever heard good things about him, and he is well respected among the trainers I know.

KBEquine
Dec. 29, 2009, 06:01 PM
I've not personally ridden with Jerre, but his students have good skills, the ones I know enjoy their lessons, and a friend who has begun to ride a horse which came out of his barn is in awe of the horse's training.

I really don't know him personally, but I don't think you'll hear a bad word about him.

ponei
Dec. 29, 2009, 06:05 PM
Thank you! :)
I appreciate your inputs.

meupatdoes
Dec. 29, 2009, 07:43 PM
I clinic-ed with him once when I was living in Lititz, PA.

He was nice to ride for.

I remember he said, "Every horse has his own pace he likes to jump out of, so we just need to find that pace and stick with it."

c'est moi
Dec. 29, 2009, 08:06 PM
I've only heard good things about him. He coaches the F&M IHSA team, and they always do very well at the shows. I don't think he's that difficult to contact. I'm not sure about his prices, but I'd be surprised if he was outrageously expensive. He stewards a lot at the IHSA shows--seems like a nice guy, and a successful trainer!

stfatpony
Dec. 29, 2009, 09:03 PM
Jerre is a great guy and a great horseman. I have never heard a bad thing about him from either clients or other trainers, and that is not usual in this business! I can't imagine he would be hard to get a hold with. If you leave a message for him, he usually gets back in a timely manner and is always polite and well spoken.

gusbabe
Dec. 29, 2009, 09:34 PM
We board at Jerre's barn. My daughter has had lessons with him in the past. He is a very good trainer. He is not that difficult to contact. You can pm me for his number is you want it. Once you get a lesson time, the very best thing you can do is arrange everything else around it as rescheduling is tough. It seems to me that he prefers to work on the rider and not so much the horse. He does not say much, even in a lesson and what he does say is quietly spoken. Every word he says counts. Your equitation will be awesome if you ride with him for a while.
He helped my daughter when she had completely lost her confidence to jump with her previous trainer.
He chooses the shows he is going to which are generally big shows that last at least 4 days or more, frequently a week. Like Lexington, Vermont, Intermont, Nittany classic, He also does Blue Rock at Quentin. He is concentrating on his younger hunters more this year and will be attending Halcyon, Heritage, Swan Lake and having more day shows than he has had previously.
He charges 45.00 for a group lesson which lasts an hour, you can have 3 to 6 riders, not usually too many more than that in a lesson. The indoor is nice with new footing, the outdoor is huge with excellent footing. He has a great variety of jumps- rolltops, liverpools, lots of seasonal decorations, planks, colored poles, etc. The barn is amazing. Any horse boarded there receives phenomenal care.
He has had a few clinicians in this year that were really good.
You can pm me if you want more information.

ponei
Dec. 29, 2009, 10:05 PM
Thank you!! Very helpful. :)
I would really like to start riding with him and he seems to have a very,very positive reputation. :D

bascher
Dec. 30, 2009, 09:01 AM
I've only heard good things about him. He coaches the F&M IHSA team, and they always do very well at the shows. I don't think he's that difficult to contact. I'm not sure about his prices, but I'd be surprised if he was outrageously expensive. He stewards a lot at the IHSA shows--seems like a nice guy, and a successful trainer!

I am the co-captain of the F&M Equestrian Team :) and have been coached by him for the riding team for four years. Jerre is a wonderful trainer and very, very knowledgable. He is not hard to get ahold of at all! I would definitely recommend him; PM me if you would like!

Horsesrule
Nov. 14, 2010, 07:39 PM
I do ride with Jerre he is a great coach. Some people think he is scary but he is not he is actually really funny!:lol: He has a lot of really great horses at his barn, I have bought 2 with him!:):D his lessons are the best I have ridden with other trainer before and have never like any one more:)

Horsesrule
Nov. 14, 2010, 07:41 PM
hellerkm, I think you saw me at the horseshow with him. Or one of my friends.

BigDreams07
Nov. 14, 2010, 07:47 PM
Jerre is awesome! He's really nice and seems like a great trainer :) I don't ride with him but I did buy one of his horses and I show against his kids and they're all super nice as well. Said horse is wonderful :D I'd say go for it if you can ride with him!

MagicHillFarm
Nov. 14, 2010, 09:24 PM
Jerre can be a man of few words, but when he speaks it is certainly worth listening to. He is very kind to his people and horses alike, great sense of humor too. He is one of the few true horsemen still training around here today that is very hands on with his animals. He expects his students to learn the horsemanship properly as well as the riding which is awesome because you will come out of his barn as a very self sufficient horse person. Jerre is very honest and professional....one of the only trainers that you won't see obsessed with his cell phone either :winkgrin:

He always gives a lesson student who rides once a week on a school horse as much attention and respect as a client who owns multiple show horses in the barn. Good person, good trainer, good horseman......

Santa's Giant Elf
Nov. 15, 2010, 09:30 AM
Jerre and Phyllis are both awesome.

They are great with adults and kids, patient, kind, professional, ethical, high standards, and just NICE.

If you ship in, they don't care how often you come for lessons (I was shipping in twice a month) and they don't care if you show, or how often. I don't know if they have different rules for boarders.

They push you for improvement so subtly you don't realize how much you are improving. No screaming there.

Happy horses, happy riders.

One of the few in the business you've never heard a bad thing about.

I'm hoping to start riding again so I can resume lessons.

Ooops, just realized I'm signed in with the wrong name...this is MyGiantPony if you need to PM me for any other info.

bascher
Nov. 15, 2010, 10:00 AM
I know I posted back on this topic when it started last year, but Jerre was the coach of my undergrad college equestrian team until last year (his last year as coach was my senior year). I find him to be a really amazing trainer, very quiet but everything he says counts. Once you get to know him he has a really great sense of humor and is absolutely committed to making sure that all of his horses and riders succeed. IF you want more info, feel free to PM me.

MyGiantPony
Nov. 15, 2010, 12:03 PM
I know I posted back on this topic when it started last year,

LOL I NEVER catch it when an ancient post is resurrected. I thought this was new. :lol:

bascher
Nov. 15, 2010, 12:39 PM
LOL I NEVER catch it when an ancient post is resurrected. I thought this was new. :lol:

I saw the little arrow thing next to the title meaning I had posted in it before, but I couldn't for the life of me remember when that was! So I opened it and saw it was from 2009 :) I wouldn't normally look at the dates except that I happened to know I had posted before so I was curious!