PDA

View Full Version : Scott Wilson- Los Angeles Trainer died - WCAR

Release First
Dec. 29, 2009, 04:23 PM
FROM WCAR

CONDOLANCES AND SADDNESS

I am sad to report the death of our long time friend and horse trainer
Scott Wilson of Los Angeles.
He was in Big Bear on a skiing holiday and had trouble breathing yesterday.

He was a long time supporter of WCAR
and was in Spruce Meadows with us this last summer for our WCAR Teams.

I will keep you informed as I know details of the services.

Kathy Hobstetter

Kinsella
Dec. 29, 2009, 04:59 PM
My condolences to his family and friends...

Perfect Pony
Dec. 29, 2009, 05:26 PM
OMG I am so sorry, what a shock!

I worked as an assistant trainer for Scott when he was in Valley Center (at Edelbrock). I ran into him at Pebble Beach after not seeing him for 20 years, I am so glad I had the chance to talk to him again. It seemed like his life turned out really well, I am so sorry to hear it has ended so suddenly when he was still relatively young :(

Rockfish
Dec. 29, 2009, 07:13 PM
godspeed

JustJumpIt111
Dec. 29, 2009, 07:30 PM
That's horrible :( My mare was from him, didn't know him personally though.

Wanderluster
Dec. 29, 2009, 09:09 PM
:( Please keep his family and friends in your prayers.

Peggy
Jan. 1, 2010, 07:28 PM
Just got this info in an email from EquestriSol. There was a link to Alex's email in the email but wasn't sure about posting that here--will be happy to forward the email to anyone who didn't get it and who sends me an email (it's in my Profile)

Memorial Services for Scott Wilson

Sunday, January 3rd - 4:00pm

Our Lady of Malibu Church
3625 Winter Canyon Rd
Malibu, California 90265

On December 29th Scott Wilson passed away peacefully in his sleep while vacationing with family and friends in Big Bear California.

His life will be celebrated and his spirit remembered at a memorial service on Sunday, January 3rd at 4:00pm at Our Lady of Malibu Church which overlooks the bluffs and ocean that he loved so much. His son Alex looks forward to sharing this time with those who loved him.

A fund in his honor will be set up for donations, and the details will be provided as they are available. Please email Alex with your thoughts and questions.

MaryBethStark
Jan. 2, 2010, 11:45 AM
I was very sad to hear about this. I grew up in Milford, CT with Scott. I wish I could be there at his service to tell of some of the CRAZY times we had when we were kids. We are lucky to be alive. One story was Scott had a pony named Sweet Sue and he also had a pony I think named snooky that pulled a cart. We had an area of Eisenhower park that was called the "straight away" we would race our ponies flat out down this area. Scott let his friend Wayne drive snooky so we were all racing and I remember the cart breaking (the seat area where Wayne was sitting) and Snooky still flat our dragging the cart and Wayne's ass being dragged down the straight away. Sooo many funny Scott stories. One Sunday before any of us had a driver's license, we were all ready to go to this horse show where our friend Lynn's father was suppose to drive the horse trailer. We were all ready at the barn by 4:30 am. 5 am is approaching and we are getting nervous so Scott decides he will Call Mr. Floyd to "make sure he was awake" Bad Move. I remember the Horror look on Scott's face after him sayiing "Hello Mr. Floyd, just want to make sure you are up and ready" He then hung up the phone. Mr. Floyd in a very dry tone said "Scott, Don't you EVER call my house at this hour" I can still remember Scott's immitation of him to this day.

Does anyone know if the family plans anything for the East Coast? I know Scott had 2 sisters. Not sure where they live.

MB

lkurski1025
Jan. 2, 2010, 01:21 PM
I did not really know him. My thoughts and prayers are with his family.

Wanderluster
Jan. 2, 2010, 09:50 PM
I was very sad to hear about this. I grew up in Milford, CT with Scott. I wish I could be there at his service to tell of some of the CRAZY times we had when we were kids. We are lucky to be alive. One story was Scott had a pony named Sweet Sue and he also had a pony I think named snooky that pulled a cart. We had an area of Eisenhower park that was called the "straight away" we would race our ponies flat out down this area. Scott let his friend Wayne drive snooky so we were all racing and I remember the cart breaking (the seat area where Wayne was sitting) and Snooky still flat our dragging the cart and Wayne's ass being dragged down the straight away. Sooo many funny Scott stories. One Sunday before any of us had a driver's license, we were all ready to go to this horse show where our friend Lynn's father was suppose to drive the horse trailer. We were all ready at the barn by 4:30 am. 5 am is approaching and we are getting nervous so Scott decides he will Call Mr. Floyd to "make sure he was awake" Bad Move. I remember the Horror look on Scott's face after him sayiing "Hello Mr. Floyd, just want to make sure you are up and ready" He then hung up the phone. Mr. Floyd in a very dry tone said "Scott, Don't you EVER call my house at this hour" I can still remember Scott's immitation of him to this day.

Does anyone know if the family plans anything for the East Coast? I know Scott had 2 sisters. Not sure where they live.

MB

Maybe a note to Alex, funny stories and anecdotes would be appreciated. I'm sure that Scott would be grateful to know that he was admired and respected, but he would also laugh his butt off reminiscing about those stories. He was above all a great father entirely devoted to his son.

MaryBethStark
Jan. 2, 2010, 10:01 PM
I don't know Alex's email address but if he wants to contact me at marybethstark@gmail.com I can get tons of "Scott Stories" from the Milford Horse people. Also some have asked about a CT memorial.

If you have contact info please send it to me. I can not find any obiturary on line.

Peggy
Jan. 2, 2010, 10:22 PM
I don't know Alex's email address but if he wants to contact me at marybethstark@gmail.com I can get tons of "Scott Stories" from the Milford Horse people. Also some have asked about a CT memorial.

If you have contact info please send it to me. I can not find any obiturary on line.Just sent you an email with Alex's email from the communication I got yesterday.

My Scott story was his recounting the time he took his pony to one of his first (maybe his first) shows. They got a trailer but thought that the pony was supposed to go in backwards--with the manger to catch the poop and the nice big window in back for the pony to look at. It was a lot funnier when he told it...

I remember him playing on the beach with Alex at a party for a mutual friend. They looked so content together. This was years ago--Alex was maybe about 4-5 y.o. at the time.

Perfect Pony
Jan. 3, 2010, 12:37 PM
I was only 19 years old when I worked for Scott. I grew up very poor, and always had free horses, or free rides on horses no one ever wanted to ride. I had to "try out" for him on what was their most difficult horse, a newly imported 4 or 5 year old that was green broke. They then left me alone on their farm for several weeks while they went on the road, leaving me with several horses ranging from two greenies, to a retired AO jumper named The Victor, and one of the nicest hunters of the day (I believe her name was Emily Post?). I was in heaven never having the chance to ride such amazing horses!

When he got back he gave me a lesson on the greenie (I wish I remembered is name) and it was at the time the highlight of my life. They offered me a full time job, and he said things to me in that lesson that have stuck with me to this day, and had a very big impact on my riding and my life.

A car accident and financial issues sent me to other jobs and back to college, but I will always have a place in my heart for Scott and the opportunity that he gave me at that time in my life.

Wanderluster
Jan. 4, 2010, 12:20 AM
You will be happy to know that Scott's sisters gave him an amazing sendoff including entries in his journal that mentioned winning so many classes and record beating statistics.In that same journal he left many pages empty to fill with new horses and pets he was sure to acquire.He said so.. It was at times somber, bag pipes always evoke tears and uplifting as so many friends and colleagues were there to remember his soul. We left to a spirited rendition of Rhinestone Cowboy, it was about as darn perfect an honor as any man gets.