PDA

View Full Version : Just Sent my entries for Thermal - Anyone Else?

Chef Jade
Dec. 29, 2009, 03:16 PM
OK, so after a CRAZY 2009, I actually have some downtime at work today and can't help but get excited for Thermal!

Who else is going? What weeks? What divisions?

I am going weeks 1 and 2, but my trainer is also going 5 and 6. I'll likely start the first day in the Low Am Jumpers, but hopefully will be doing the mediums within the first week. It will be my first time ever jumping 1.30, so I am nervous/excited. :eek: After 25 years of riding, there aren't a whole lot of "firsts" for me anymore.

JustJumpIt111
Dec. 29, 2009, 03:29 PM
I am going weeks 2 and 3, and weeks 5 and 6 :) I am taking my hunter Limo in either the younger A/A's or the Low A/O's, and then my equitation horse Newcastle in all of the 3'3" eq and medals. I might show my mare, Gracious Me, in the A/A's as well but she might be sold by then. I also might show a couple of sales horses :D

I'm excited, should be fun!

Tha Ridge
Dec. 29, 2009, 04:19 PM
Hey, is your Limo a little bay horse? Super fancy, really pretty to look at?

If so, I've ridden him a few times. :)

JustJumpIt111
Dec. 29, 2009, 07:33 PM
Hey, is your Limo a little bay horse? Super fancy, really pretty to look at?

If so, I've ridden him a few times. :)

Hey, maybe? He's a dark bay, about 16.2 hands. He's 7 years old, was with Don Stewart and then Karen Healey.

Tha Ridge
Dec. 29, 2009, 07:54 PM
Yep, that's him. :) I rode him a few times when he was with Robyn Stiegler. Really, really nice fellow - you are lucky to have him.

JustJumpIt111
Dec. 29, 2009, 07:56 PM
Yep, that's him. :) I rode him a few times when he was with Robyn Stiegler. Really, really nice fellow - you are lucky to have him.

I'm glad you liked him! He's a great boy :) Were you trying him, or just helping Robyn out?

Chef Jade
Dec. 29, 2009, 08:42 PM

You mean you were in the OC and didn't look me up! Shame! :no:
;)

JJI, I'll keep an eye out for you, but I rarely make it to hunterland. I hate how spread out that place is.

jolise
Dec. 30, 2009, 12:34 AM
When are entries due? I better get on that. And ChefJade, did you get the tent stalls---1 1/2 stalls?

tallygirl
Dec. 30, 2009, 12:45 AM
i have a friend that rode with karen healey for awhile.... shes just down the road from me :)

Peggy
Dec. 30, 2009, 01:17 AM
Entries due Jan 6. Tho the closest I may be getting is the horse and palm tree Christmas cookies that I made last week. Not showing but may get down to watch at some point.

Chef Jade
Dec. 30, 2009, 01:45 PM
When are entries due? I better get on that. And ChefJade, did you get the tent stalls---1 1/2 stalls?

Yes, you better! Entry blanks are in the tack room if you need them. Lisa and I are sharing a third stall. But we decided to also get a turnout, so I am sure Tiarra will be fine with 1 stall plus a turnout.

Cindeye
Dec. 30, 2009, 02:13 PM
Jealous! Derby Hill will be there for Weeks 4, 5 and 6. I haven't been riding enough this year to even think of showing, so no Thermal for me. Mrs. Brown is convinced I can get back in shape in time to show Jurassica, but I'm thinking there is no way in hell I can get back to show weight by then!

Ride hard. Have fun!

Sebastian
Dec. 30, 2009, 02:31 PM
Ah, I wish I could take Miss B...she's ready, but the pocket book is not--poop. :no:

If I get the job offer I'm hoping for in January, I will try to save up and make her debut at Memorial Day @ LAEC. Everyone cross your fingers!

Chef, I will be rooting for you and expect REGULAR and PROMPT updates of your progress... :yes:

Good luck to all that are going!
Seb :)

doublesstable
Dec. 30, 2009, 08:50 PM
I will be going; but only to watch... My goofy horse stepped on himself and I have given him some time off. I was planing to go to the LAEC Langer show in Jan... but we will see how the hoof looks. He's sound but I don't want to push it.

All my years of horses I have been lucky enough not to have had this type of thing happen.... It looks painfull.

My other horse is not ready yet. We need more time together.

Good luck to those of you riding and I hope you have great weather!!!!

mckenna310
Dec. 30, 2009, 11:38 PM
ugh i wish i was going. cant afford it though. pretty much everyone in my barn is going though. i want to go to watch the hunter derby!

PonyPenny
Dec. 31, 2009, 04:35 PM
Hey ChefJade, How many from your barn are going and are any of the new people going?

Chef Jade
Jan. 3, 2010, 12:24 AM
PP: I think there will be about 10 horses going for the first 2 weeks, less for the last 2. I thnk almost all the new horses are going, plus maybe some extras that are meeting up just at the show.

Cindeye - how ARE you? It has been forever, glad to know you are still lurking here.:yes:

Seb - I can't wait to see your gorgeous girl in action, crossing my fingers and jingling for that job! Hopefully PJ makes his debut this year, too.

Cindeye
Jan. 3, 2010, 12:57 AM
Hey Chef! Don't get on the BB nearly as much as I used to. Work has been crazy since Jan. '08. I'm at work at 5:30 am, and in theory, I should be heading out the door by 2:30, but theory has not met reality in quite some time!

I'll look for you @ Thermal if I get down the last couple of weeks to ride the bleachers ;)

JustJumpIt111
Jan. 10, 2010, 08:42 PM
Has anyone heard anything new about the facilities this year? It seems each year they improve on a few things.

Chef Jade
Jan. 11, 2010, 12:30 AM
Has anyone heard anything new about the facilities this year? It seems each year they improve on a few things.

Nope, haven't heard anything but a complete re-design would be nice! I can't stand the spectator seating is at the ends of the arenas instead of the sides in just about every arena...

Release First
Jan. 11, 2010, 12:55 AM
I heard at the meetings this weekend that the entries are up 10%. :D

JustJumpIt111
Jan. 13, 2010, 06:47 PM

Oh I'm glad! Last year the entries were pretty slim.

sptraining
Jan. 13, 2010, 07:38 PM

Well Arizona no longer qualifies for PCHA points so anyone looking for PCHA points will go to Thermal this year instead of Arizona. Plus Thermal is overall more expensive than Arizona. Sneaky if you ask me...

Last year Thermal was barren...

Chef Jade
Jan. 25, 2010, 02:40 PM
Bump! The horses left yesterday, and (knock on wood) the weather looks like it should be fine this first week.

Where is the NW contingent? They are being awfully quiet this year, are you guys staying home?

I am already freaking out about the remote possibility of jumping the water jump in the GP ring. I haven't done one in competition in 15 years and my mare never has, though she has never batted an eye at anything you put in front of her.

Sebastian
Jan. 25, 2010, 02:50 PM
I am already freaking out about the remote possibility of jumping the water jump in the GP ring. I haven't done one in competition in 15 years and my mare never has, though she has never batted an eye at anything you put in front of her.

Just grab mane!!! :winkgrin: (Some things never change).

Hoping to make a road trip out there next weekend. I'll call you if we do!

Seb :cool:

LovesHorses
Jan. 25, 2010, 03:20 PM
I work for Potcreek Meadow Farm in Seattle. We will bring down ten horses for wks 4 thru 6. I think most of the PNW usual suspects will also be attending. I'm excited!

Calvincrowe
Jan. 25, 2010, 04:31 PM
I know Oz is heading down. I assume, as LovesHorses said, the usual big barns are bringing down their folks.

I'll keep track online, since there's never going to be a day I'll get that much time off in a row to go show.

dags
Jan. 25, 2010, 04:37 PM

Up 10% over .... ???

If it's up 10% over last year's numbers, they still have a way to go.

Dun Ciarain
Jan. 25, 2010, 05:01 PM
Up 10% over .... ???

If it's up 10% over last year's numbers, they still have a way to go.

I heard they are up 10% over last year's number. So, down 30%?+/- and back up 10% off the bottom! It sure seems that there are going to be a bunch of unused rings at Thermal this year based on their first week schedule.

dags
Jan. 25, 2010, 05:08 PM
That's what I thought.

However, I do know of a few barns that were going early but cancelled due to rain and lack of schooling for the past month. Maybe it'll pick up week two....

JustJumpIt111
Jan. 25, 2010, 08:53 PM
Our barn is heading down this week to school/exercise the horses because it's been pouring here lately. So our barn will be there Week 1, but we are actually showing Weeks 2 and 3. And then again 5 and 6.

Chef Jade
Jan. 31, 2010, 11:11 PM
Week 1 completed, and the weather was fantastic. Hopefully it holds up!

It does seem a bit busier than last year, but I think a lot of people came early to get our of the rain/mud and weren't showing yet.

The highlight of day 1 was when my trainer introduced me to Leopoldo Palacios. I gushed like a teenager and told him I was a big fan, and that it was like meeting a celebrity. :o:lol: Then after all that flattery, he had the nerve to put that last jump in the jump-off course, which I had down. :(

Though I pretty much seemed to have an 8-fault show, it was probably my best week EVER! I moved up to the 1.30's and made it to the jump-off in the grand prix ring (where I had my 2 rails). My horse FLEW! It was both our first times jumping the 1.30 and it went better than expected. :yes:

There are some really spectacular horses and riders, and of course the canadians seem to be taking MORE than their fair share of the prizes. The Friday GP was BIG but the course fair and I think 8 qualified for the jump-off. Can't wait to see the WC Qualifier next week.

forward ride
Feb. 1, 2010, 04:32 PM
Awesome to hear, Chief Jade!

I'm headed out Week 5 to do the Low Jr/ Not necessarily Owners and I can't wait!! (Can't wait for the time off work too :)

I just hope it's less depressing than last year, which it sounds like it is :)

*jumper*
Feb. 1, 2010, 05:04 PM
I am sooo excited to be going week 5! I've been every year but haven't actually shown there so I'm more than ready to get in the ring. Unfortunately being in college means I can only do one week (and only 3 days of that :() but hopefully we'll make the best of it!

forward ride: I think I'm going to be in that division as well, so I'll see ya around!