PDA

View Full Version : Introducing myself

minuspride
Dec. 29, 2009, 12:59 PM
Hello,
I'm an Arabian rider from Pennsylvania. I just lost my wonderful Arabian gelding in July and have been trying to move on.
I'm currently taking dressage lessons (newly switched to english from western) and love to trail ride. Until I find the right horse, I'm riding friend's horses from a wonderful grey reining Quarter Horse to a lovely Arabian/Appaloosa Dressage gelding.
Thanks and I look forward to learning and being a part of these forums I've heard so much about.
Lexi

Bank of Dad
Dec. 29, 2009, 01:18 PM
Hi, Lexi, welcome. I'm so sorry to hear about your horse. It takes a long time to get past that loss. Most of us here have been thru it.

minuspride
Dec. 29, 2009, 01:51 PM
Thank you so much!
I have found it is very hard, some days waking up to think oh, let's go for a trail ride today! Only to remember my sweet gelding isn't just a short drive away anymore.
By the way, love the quote at the bottom of your response. My cat thinks climbing up on the pillow and licking your cheek is an appropriate way to say wake up human, I'm HUNGRY!!

matryoshka
Jan. 1, 2010, 12:19 AM
Equihab has a sweet Arabian mare up for adoption. I think she's @14.1, maybe a bit taller. Black. She's currently being fostered out but the last time I checked is available to adopt.

I know you miss your boy, but if you are looking, she's a nice mare.

Contact MayS who posts to COTH, or look up www.equihab.com.

ponygrl25
Jan. 1, 2010, 10:02 AM
Welcome! Glad to have you here:cool:! So sorry to hear about your loss. It is so much harder to get over than most people think.:p It's also hard when you start to feel better and then everybody keeps openning it up again.

My name is Jen, and I have 2 horses and 3 bratty ponies. We mostly trail ride right now and are hoping to try team penning and I'm working on learning to rope. I've done dressage and quite a bit of jumping, too. Nothing like a little variety!!:D

Dalriada
Jan. 2, 2010, 09:08 AM
Welcome Minuspride

I too lost a couple of horses - both distance mounts in a tragic pasture accident back in 2007. It's tough without them but time does heal all. I get the occasional teariness talking about them but for the most part I have been able to move on. What helped was keeping busy riding a whole bunch of different horses, like you have been doing.

I took back my Arab/Appy distance horse from my mom and I know that sometimes I'm riding down the trail thinking "so and so would spook at that" or "love this trail" or "I'm on the wrong horse for this trail". However you do move on and explore new things and enjoy things differently.

How wonderful that you have found new interests to keep you interested in horses! You are right keep exploring and riding until you find the RIGHT individual.

I have learned to say "Things happen for a reason, you might not know what the reason is at the time but when the result happens you will know the original reason."

minuspride
Jan. 7, 2010, 12:00 PM
Thank you for the warm welcome!! I think I may check out the mare on equihab. I'm very casually looking for another and also very stuck on Arabians! I especially love black arabians...they are somewhat rare!
I love this forum so far and seem to already be learning a lot.
It is so hard to move on, because as Dalriada mentioned, I've ridden other people's horses and thought well, Pride wouldn't spook at that...and so on.
Ponygrl...good luck with the roping. I've never ever tried it but it seems like so much to do with your hands. Hopefully you have a very talented pony/horse!

matryoshka
Jan. 7, 2010, 08:22 PM
When I leased an Arabian for distance riding after finding a home for my bucking OTTB, I would think, "Gee, Butch would have bucked about that..." or "Wow, that was easy." Still, I loved that horse even though I gave up on him because I've got too many responsibilities to put myself at risk like that. The Arabian I leased is a great horse but got kicked and broke his splint bone and had to go live someplace quieter than my field.

And for all that riding other horses is easier for me than Butch, they are also less exciting. I've not enjoyed riding much since I gave up on Butch. It was the right thing to do, but I still miss him.

I've now got a great trail horse (another OTTB). He's too good a horse for me not to enjoy and has plenty of personality, and yet it isn't the same, the spark isn't there. He's the perfect trail horse except that he isn't completely sound (arthritic knee) and has to be kept to shorter distances without many hills. I figure it's like the song: "If you can't be with the one you love, love the one you are with." I'm trying. He sure is a good horse.

It's funny how some horses just grab us, even when they aren't necessarily the best horse for us or not completely safe. Sometimes I think I bond more strongly to the ones who make me work hard.

minuspride
Jan. 11, 2010, 09:53 AM
matryoshka...one good thing about riding different horses...experience!! It sounds like you were very wise to rehome your bucking OTTB, perhaps it was not meant to be, but that doesn't make his leaving any easier I imagine.
My pride made me work for it! When I first met and handled him I distinctly remember thinking what a jerk. I will never own a horse like this. EVER. He just needed his own personal person to connect with and he was good as gold after that :)