PDA

View Full Version : Mountain Horse Active Winter Rider boot

JBCool
Dec. 29, 2009, 01:16 PM
Has anyone used these? I don't necessarily want them to ride in, just work around the farm (all day) and in snow. Are they waterproof? I know most folks on here usually vote for Mucks, but they don't fit me well and my feet have been getting cold in mine. I thought the MHs might be more fitted. Any thoughts? Thanks.

twinkle
Dec. 29, 2009, 06:26 PM
Have you looked at Sorel boots?

appychik
Dec. 29, 2009, 06:55 PM
I have them and LOVE them. Just got them this past fall. Very comfy... instant break in. I ride in them all the time and haven't had any issues with leg position or whatnot (and I'm always a mess whenever I first start to ride in new boots/tack/etc).

They are waterproof, but I haven't tried walking in puddles with them either. Seem fine to just be walking in the snow to retrieve a horse... not sure I'd want to ruin them by repeated doing lots of "horse chores" in them though.

So... if you're looking for something to do chores in, I second the Sorrels suggestion. And the Muck boots. I've got both of those too and they both are excellent for working in.

LARGEBORE
Dec. 29, 2009, 07:19 PM
My MH are very waterproof and very warm, excellent all around muck and barn boot and very rideable as well..

kookicat
Dec. 29, 2009, 07:25 PM
I keep looking at them, but I have too many pairs of boots as it is, so I've never bought them. I have tried them on a few times, and found them to be very comfy. :)

sweetpea
Dec. 30, 2009, 08:02 AM
Have love them , work and ride in them. Put rubber slip ons over them so when doing stalls so I can rinse before I go home -- 2nd year on same ones!!

Rhody Ram
Dec. 30, 2009, 08:27 AM
I got some really nice columbia boots for mucking at the outlets last year. Waterproof, WARM, and very tough. They were cheap, $35. A girl on my team has the MH horse boots and she loves them. She wears them everyday- they are waterproof and she says they're warm.

atouchofclass
Dec. 30, 2009, 08:33 AM
There is more info the the Mountain Horse website.

http://www.mountainhorseusa.net/winter_active_winter_rider.html

Dramapony_misty
Dec. 30, 2009, 12:12 PM
Have them, use them everyday, and LOVE THEM! They are great in that I can tuck my jeans into them so they don't get dirty, wet, and muddy doing the barn work. (granted I have some extra room as I am a slim calf and these are regular calf.)

The Actives are indeed waterproof up to where the zipper starts. While I wouldn't go standing around in puddles higher than that, the zippers tend to keep out the snow too so they are great for the snow.

They are so super warm. Me feet tend to be the first thing to get cold, but I haven't had that problem with these boots.

I like Sweetpea's idea about the rubbers. The only downside is that covers up the great traction the MH winter boot soles have.

JBCool
Dec. 30, 2009, 12:53 PM
Sounds like they might work ok if I keep the Mucks around for deep mud & such. Does anyone know how the foot sizes run? I have a really little foot (about a 6.5) and I'm not sure what I'd order since they come in whole sizes.

Dramapony-I'm planning to do the same thing with my jeans b/c I have to have the TINIEST calf & ankle in the world. But, hey, it helps us out in this case! :)

Dramapony_misty
Dec. 30, 2009, 01:12 PM
YAY! Join the little-leg club! :lol:

If you are typically a 6.5, I would size down to a 6. I'm a 7.5 and my size 7s still allow enough room to put on wool socks if needed.

Personal Champ
Dec. 30, 2009, 01:38 PM
I love mine - super warm and keep my feet dry.

Regarding the waterproof-ness - according to Mountain Horse, they are 100% waterproof UP TO THE ZIPPER. However, always being one to test limits :lol:, I have worn mine in some pretty wet conditions. My feet stayed dry slogging through the calf high mud near the drainage ditch when a friend's hat blew off and I chased it, I have also crossed puddles that were that high. Now, I've never stood stock still in them to see how long it would take to get soaked, but for average moving-through-slop barnwork, I have never had wet tootsies.

Be sure to get the dirt/mud off the zipper though before unzipping - I take a stiff brush to mine - not good to yank them down with 10 pounds of grit in there.

JBCool
Dec. 30, 2009, 06:35 PM
Dramapony: I'm just glad there is a little leg club. For a long time, I thought I was the only one!

Personal Champ: Thanks for test-soaking them for me! Can't say as I would deliberately stand in deep water or mud in them either, but some of our paddocks get really nasty at the gate after rain or snow.

Sounds like these things will work. I've just got to get a bunch of bills paid first and I'll see if there's enough of Dad's Christmas money left...