PDA

View Full Version : What do you wear for lower level jumpers?

Hunter Mom
Dec. 29, 2009, 10:17 AM
I am switching from hunters to jumpers, but will start at the lower end - 1.0 at the highest for now. We will do a lot of local shows, but want to play at a few rated, too. I have to admit - I haven't paid much attention to what folks wear in the jumper ring at those levels. Are polos acceptable, or should I wear a jacket? I assume a white saddle pad is fine.

Tegan
Dec. 29, 2009, 10:23 AM
Wear breeches and tall boots, but the shirt choice is up to you- either a polo, show shirt, or shirt and jacket. At that level, most people are probably wearing polos, they're definitely acceptable. White saddle pad is fine. I like ones with nice colored stitching on the outside and then a cute bonnet to match, but that's all personal preference.

If you're doing a classic, wear a shirt and jacket. Technically you should wear white breeches for classics, but at your level, don't worry about it.

You could show up with a bright pink shirt, neon green saddle pad, and sparkly bell boots and it wouldn't make a difference. You just don't want to be "that" person.

Hunter Mom
Dec. 29, 2009, 10:32 AM
You could show up with a bright pink shirt, neon green saddle pad, and sparkly bell boots and it wouldn't make a difference. You just don't want to be "that" person.

That would be quite a look with us - he's a very bright chestnut and I'm a not-quite-thin 40 year old! I'd have to provide eye bleach to the judge :lol:

SkipChange
Dec. 29, 2009, 11:17 AM
That would be quite a look with us - he's a very bright chestnut and I'm a not-quite-thin 40 year old! I'd have to provide eye bleach to the judge :lol:

:lol: some people might do it!
But I agree with Tegan, breeches and tall boots with polo or show shirt (with or without jacket). It just depends on what show it is, some shows you would never see a jumper in a jacket and some most people are wearing them. If it is cold, I say wear that show coat! It looks way better to me than a sweatshirt or other non-riding jacket.

caradino
Dec. 29, 2009, 11:30 AM
i just started in the jumpers this year too, but my instructor requires us to wear show coats, so i don't really have to think about what to wear!

but i agree with the other posters, wear a polor or show coat or whatever you want... as long as you're neat and tidy no one will care. :)

fordtraktor
Dec. 29, 2009, 11:52 AM
I agree with caradino's instructor -- I always wear a jacket even if I'm the only one. I think it is respectful, plus it looks better in pictures!

Giddy-up
Dec. 29, 2009, 11:52 AM
I've done the low jumpers at the A/AA shows here. The dress for the "regular" classes varies--some people wear polos & some wear their coats. But when we have the "classic", everybody wears their jacket & I'd say it's about 50/50 for wearing white v/s khaki breeches.

The horses wear dark polos or boots (if any) & I'd say most are wearing square pads. Usually white & maybe a colored trim around the edge.

Your "hunter" apparel will cross over just fine to the "jumper" ring & you can start adding your own stuff as you decide what you like. Jumperland isn't nearly as cookie cutter as hunterworld. Have fun! :cool:

Rockfish
Dec. 29, 2009, 12:06 PM
polo or sweater, weather dependant. Show shirt and jacket for classics. At some of the state level jumper shows I have fun and wear light pink or french blue breeches ;)

heartinrye
Dec. 29, 2009, 12:09 PM
I agree with caradino's instructor -- I always wear a jacket even if I'm the only one. I think it is respectful, plus it looks better in pictures!

Exactly why I wear one!! Plus, I paid a good chunk of change for all of them- I want to use them!

sansibar
Dec. 29, 2009, 12:19 PM
it depends on where you are showing, I know up here on weekends you must wear a show jacket in the jumpers, but in the week it is up to you what you wear. Just make sure you check what the shows say. :)

bigeq77
Dec. 29, 2009, 01:02 PM
i know that some people in my barn and around our circut wear a show shirt with a show coat but dont wear the choker and leave it and maybe there first button unbuttoned. i think it looks fine and probably gives you head more movement which you need in the jumper ring haha. i also like polos, but stick with neutral colors that dont wash out your skin, they look nicer in pictures :)

Tha Ridge
Dec. 29, 2009, 01:11 PM
Good advice so far, but I do have to say: no bonnet in the lower-levels. Just looks hokey, IMO.

Chef Jade
Dec. 29, 2009, 01:25 PM
I always wear polos. I think it looks more sporty, plus we have the perfect weather fot it. If cold, I wear a nice sweater with a blouse or ratcatcher underneath. I sometimes will put on a coat if I am showing in the GP ring for a regular class but of course always wear one for the classics.

LeeB10
Dec. 29, 2009, 01:56 PM
Minimally you should have a collared shirt with sleeves - a slim fitted polo shirt, breeches (colored is okay but keep it simple), tall boots - brown is okay in jumpers but black is usually what people wear, a belt because your shirt should be tucked in. For classics typically a navy coat, white collared shirted, and white breeches. It also depends on the show - some shows require jackets in every round for others the polos work. Find out before you go whether you need the jacket or not. And when it is 105 outside you will want to wear a polo. :)

fordtraktor
Dec. 29, 2009, 10:59 PM
Good advice so far, but I do have to say: no bonnet in the lower-levels. Just looks hokey, IMO.

Do you mean a fly bonnet? I use them for horses that need earplugs only. Not a question of style for me -- earplugs can be expensive, and the bonnet reminds me to take them out, something I have been known to forget a time or two....

heartinrye
Dec. 29, 2009, 11:01 PM
Do you mean a fly bonnet? I use them for horses that need earplugs only. Not a question of style for me -- earplugs can be expensive, and the bonnet reminds me to take them out, something I have been known to forget a time or two....

Exactly.

indygirl2560
Dec. 29, 2009, 11:22 PM
For low level jumpers, I wear tan breeches, tall boots, and a nice fitted polo with a belt. For the horse, I usually use a nice white pad with piping, boots, and sometimes an ear net depending on the horse(certain horses I ride are very sensitive to bugs and throw a fit without one on). If I'm going to the hunter or eq ring before/after my jumper classes, I just wear that attire for jumpers. Many people on the circuit wear nice polos and some wear show shirts and jackets; either looks fine IMO.

supershorty628
Dec. 30, 2009, 08:25 AM

Agreed!
I personally HATE the look of the jacket and show shirt sans collar and unbuttoned. If you're going to wear the jacket and show shirt anyway, do it properly. It just looks sloppy when it's undone.

Noctis
Dec. 30, 2009, 08:47 AM
I usually wear my normal tan/khaki britches (usually fullseats lol love me some extra grip!) and tall boots, and a ratcatcher or other collared shirt (oxford, polo etc depending on weather). Belt too. And GLOVES! The Heese usually have their normal bridle (figure 8, flash, regular), running martingale, boots all around, and a square pad with trim and monogramm. Nothing bright or loud, just clean and simple.

Giddy-up
Dec. 30, 2009, 09:32 AM
i know that some people in my barn and around our circut wear a show shirt with a show coat but dont wear the choker and leave it and maybe there first button unbuttoned.

As long as it's not a classic, I guess you are ok. You can be eliminated by the steward for not being dressed properly.

Rockfish
Dec. 30, 2009, 10:24 AM

Some horses need one, like mine, because he gets super annoyed to the point to not paying attention if a fly goes down his ear. It's a neccessity sometimes, not a fashion statement.

Lucassb
Dec. 30, 2009, 09:02 PM
Agreed!
I personally HATE the look of the jacket and show shirt sans collar and unbuttoned. If you're going to wear the jacket and show shirt anyway, do it properly. It just looks sloppy when it's undone.

Amen.

Hunter Mom
Dec. 30, 2009, 09:36 PM
It seems like if you're going to wear a shirt/jacket, why wouldn't you wear the choker? Personally, I look thinner in a jacket (it hides things much better than a polo!) so will probably wear them at the bigger shows. I just bought two new ones - one still unworn - so I'd love to get some miles out of them.

caradino
Dec. 31, 2009, 01:58 PM
It seems like if you're going to wear a shirt/jacket, why wouldn't you wear the choker?

agreed! whenever i see someone showing with an open collar i think "oh no! they forgot their choker! how embarassing!" i didn't realize it was a fashion statement for quite some time.

WorthTheWait95
Dec. 31, 2009, 04:36 PM
Some people find chokers to be very uncomfortable. I have a friend who literally feels like she is going to pass out with her chokers on. She turns white and gets shakey. She buys shirts too big so the choker is loose and still get claustrophobic.

She's a special case for sure but I can see how some people that maybe have thicker necks or something would be uncomfortable wearing one. It doesn't bother me to see people sans choker unless it's a classic or other formal class.