PDA

View Full Version : Proper Attire for Unrated Hunter Shows

KatherineC
Dec. 29, 2009, 07:53 AM
I am new to the hunter ponies and I will be taking my 9yo daughter to some unrated shows in the spring. Can someone advise me on the attire requirements? Got the brown tack covered but need to know about everything else. Thanks

Rockfish
Dec. 29, 2009, 08:08 AM
can't go wrong with tan breeches, navy jacket and white show shirt. Also don't forget the garters, brown, to match brown paddock boots.

Ty2003
Dec. 29, 2009, 08:17 AM
Hi there - I dress/prepare the same way whether the show is rated or unrated. The only difference for me is whether or not I braid (yes for rated, usually no for unrated - depends on the show). If your daughter is showing ponies, she should wear jodphurs with knee straps and pant straps, and paddock boots (DEFINITELY needs the knee straps - I really dislike jods with no straps - looks unfinished). Here's a good example of what this looks like put together: http://www.doversaddlery.com/product.asp?pn=X1-3516&ids=256025296

She should also wear a ratcatcher (show shirt - you can see the little girl in the photo above has one on), and a dark show jacket (unless she's wearing gray jods, then she could wear a gray jacket). Finish it with black gloves. She'll most likely have to wear an ASTM approved helmet - and the pony kids always look adorable with two braids with cute bows (but nothing TOO big - it's distracting). Other than that, just make sure everything is clean and well-fitted to the pony. The saddle pad should fit well (not too big - that also looks unfinished). Since it's unrated you probably won't need to braid, but be sure the mane and tail are neat and tidy.

That's all I can think of right now, although it's early so I may have left off something obvious :) If so, I'm sure someone else will pipe up with more info for you. Oh, one more thing - don't think you have to pay a lot for any of these show clothes. It's pretty easy to find good quality items at consignment shops or online because kids grow out of stuff so quickly. The only thing I wouldn't skimp on is the helmet - buy that new.

Have fun!

Ozone
Dec. 29, 2009, 08:52 AM
Dress your DD as if she was going to a rated show.

I would braid your pony to have the overall finished look of DD and pony.

Navy coat
White or light colored shirt
Breeches
Those garter thingies :)
Gloves
Cute hair do. I don't like show bows but cute braids would work!
Helmet of course. I would like to see anything but a plastic helmet (troxel's and the like) in shows.

Match your tack from saddle to breastplate.
And, the #1 is HAVE FUN!!!

Hunter Mom
Dec. 29, 2009, 09:14 AM
I agree with the others, but we're not big on bows. DD has short hair, but even if it were longer, we'd do hunter hair. Make sure she's clean & everything fits well, and that the pony and tack is clean and everything fits well. We don't braid for our local shows, but that's the only difference between those and a rated for us. If you don't have a "show" helmet, get a velvet cover so at least it isn't plastic glistening in the arena lights! Gloves and garters are musts, too.

Here's a photo of her at a recent, local show. The saddle isn't as dark as I'd like, but we're working on it!

http://i561.photobucket.com/albums/ss56/dbeitz/1262095696.jpg

Void
Dec. 29, 2009, 10:43 AM
I would do as the above mentioned.

KatherineC
Dec. 29, 2009, 12:32 PM
Thanks for the replies! Seems like we have much of it covered but will need to do some shopping as well.

Everythingbutwings
Dec. 29, 2009, 01:04 PM
Neat and tidy always works.

cajunbelle
Dec. 29, 2009, 01:07 PM
I wish rust breeches & dk green coats would come back into style, kids look great.. in those colors.:lol:

Sunnyhorse
Dec. 29, 2009, 06:29 PM
You could also call the show manager to find out the dress code for exhibitors at his/her shows. Although you can never go wrong with a jacket and ratcatcher, at most of the schooling shows in my area (St. Louis) riders wear polo shirts in warm weather and sweaters in the winter. Some people do wear ratcatchers and jackets, but by no means is it expected.

Dec. 29, 2009, 08:00 PM
You also want to think about how many shows you will be doing. If cost is an issue, I hate to see people run out and buy a whole show outfit for just one or two shows... especially with kids, who grow so fast.

When I was a young'un, I was always dressed from second-hand tack stores, and I got some great show clothes there for great prices. And when I outgrew them, we sold them back to the tack store consignment so we could get new ones :)

Noctis
Dec. 30, 2009, 07:49 AM
Definitely as all the above stated :) Look into some of the consignment shops, kids apparel REALLY holds its value because they never get too much wear out of it it seems like!

Silk
Dec. 30, 2009, 08:56 AM
1. NO grey or white or colored jods!
2. BROWN paddocks and garters.
3. Any color dark jacket is appropriate (navy, olive, brown, etc)
4. black gloves and black or brown helmet.
5. White ratcatcher is fine but if possible, coordinated with jacket is always good.

I do this for both rated and unrated shows. .

gottagrey
Dec. 30, 2009, 12:17 PM
Agree w/ prior posts only wanted to add that consignment shops can be your best friend! Brown OR Black gloves are appropriate and quite frankly I would opt for Brown if boots & Garters are brown (I'm a fan of brown gloves anyway from my days riding sidesaddle)

I would also advise not to get sucked in by the old "you must have Tailored Sportsman" pants/jods/breeches... that is simply not true and any beige/tan jods are fine as are rust if you can find them (and if they go w/ jacket).

Have fun and best of luck to you and your daughter this spring