PDA

View Full Version : Retirement Board - Where To Advertise

LockeMeadows
Dec. 29, 2009, 04:04 AM
The new year is upon us and DH and I would like to get a few more retirement horses. We have several right now and really enjoy it. Where is the best place to advertise? The horses we have retired here are not from the area. They are from up-North where the owners desired a milder climate for their older partners. I would like to hit some publications that hit the North East esp. Right off the bat, we'll put an ad in COTH, but what other magazines should I look at?

M. O'Connor
Dec. 29, 2009, 06:49 AM
COTH, Plaid Horse, and Today's Equestrian should cover it, Rachel.

LWit317
Dec. 29, 2009, 08:27 AM
you could also try advertising on Equinesite.com which is a horse bulletin board similar to this only for people who live in New england! Where are you located?

MIKES MCS
Dec. 29, 2009, 09:47 AM
You also might do a mailing out to local tack shops in the area your marketing to. They really can be a great resource for persons looking for a place such as yours .. PM me for my mailing addy I'll be glad to post a brochure.

theoldgreymare
Dec. 29, 2009, 11:50 AM
You have a PM............

SMF11
Dec. 29, 2009, 12:29 PM
You could try the Pennysaver -- it hits WEstchester county (near NY) and my theory is that anyone paying $2 - 3,000 in board would be happy to pay a lot less for retirement. You could also try the pony club (e) mailing lists -- there is one for the NY/Upper CT region on yahoogroups.com.

I also board a few retirees, and I have found the best boarders come through word of mouth. I did have a friend put up a flyer in the Bedford post office -- only one person called, but she came and her horse is here now. Anyway, not too sure how successful advertising is, really. Let us know!

LockeMeadows
Dec. 29, 2009, 12:48 PM
Thank you everyone! I'll start posting the ads this evening!!

deboraht70
Jan. 3, 2010, 08:35 AM
The USHJA maintains a list of facilities:

http://www.ushja.org/content/programs/retire_facil.aspx

TSWJB
Jan. 3, 2010, 09:31 AM
The USHJA maintains a list of facilities:

http://www.ushja.org/content/programs/retire_facil.aspx
for some reason they are sooooooooooooooooooo slow to get back to you. it took months and months for them to answer my email. the place i board at is a wonderful retirement facility in NJ. and i thought it should make the list. the finally contacted me long after i had forgotten i had emailed them. i have yet to see the farm on the list.