PDA

View Full Version : The elevator bit

Mollitor
Dec. 29, 2009, 02:08 AM
I have been using a 3 ring elevator [rein on the 2nd ring] on my horse for about a year now.Recently,he has gotten in the mindset that it is okay to rear up.He has never in the 6 years of me owning him EVER reared up.I dont think it is an attitude problem.I am beginning to believe it is the bit,or how I am using it.I understand that they are to be used very gently,because from my understanding they are pretty "harsh" [for lack of better term].My hands are soft.I have talked with my trainer about this as well,to see if he noticed something I am doing that I havnt been doing before,and he sees nothing.Opinions?
I will definitly be trying out new bits this week,to see if that changes anything.But id like to hear if anyone else has had this issue,and what they did to better suit their horse.
I am just nervous that maybe it IS just an attitude problem.

faluut42
Dec. 29, 2009, 04:09 AM
I recently ran into the same problem with my mare. I needed a bit that she would respect more over fences when she got excited. It was on the first ring and after 2 rides she went from being a little too quick over the fences to almost cantering in place to exploding over the fences.

I put her in a baucher and that bit seems to work for her, the elevator was just too much bit and poll pressure for her.

Blackberry Farm
Dec. 29, 2009, 10:05 AM
I use double reins when I use my elevator so that I only use a lower ring when I need it. FWIW I use the second ring, not third on mine. I just bring the second ring into play when she's heavy and sort of barreling on the forehand. If I can not lift her any other way, it works for us. She is a TB and built a like a steeplechaser- big in front. She is not very strong yet either, particuarly in the hind. To the OP: Why do you use the elevator? I ask because I may have better suggestions. A slow twist may be a much better option if you need to add a bit of "harsh." I would only use as much as needed. The elevator helps me to lift the front end. Voila maybe it did too much for yours? ;) -not a snark ;)

00Jumper
Dec. 29, 2009, 12:00 PM
I'd maybe back the bit off, or reserve the elevator for special occasions. My mare only wears hers when we jump and I need a little more oomph behind the bit - the rest of the time I have her in a french-link D-ring. I am also considering backing her off to a different bit since she is getting a little to light in the mouth on the elevator (she won't accept it, despite the fact that the mouthpiece is just the same as her other bit's) - slow twisted full-cheek is my first thought. Perhaps something similar would work for your horse?

mortebella
Dec. 29, 2009, 01:20 PM
Well, if you've used this bit for a year and the rearing is recent (you don't say how recent, but I'm going to figure just a couple of weeks or so) I'm inclined to think it's something other than the bit, or, it's something new with the horse that the bit wasn't aggravating before but now is. Had his mouth checked lately? I'd rule that out first and then look at other sources of pain. No harm in giving "less" bit a try, but, just MHO, a horse that just starts rearing all of a sudden, with nothing else than what you've mentioned, pain has my bet for being the major culprit Even if "less" bit made it tolerable, still wouldn't mean there wasn't a problem in there; I'd have a suspicion about it til it was checked why a bit he was comfortable in for a year he was all of a sudden not. (Terrible syntax there, but you see my point - I hope! :lol:)

Mollitor
Dec. 29, 2009, 03:43 PM
Well, if you've used this bit for a year and the rearing is recent (you don't say how recent, but I'm going to figure just a couple of weeks or so) I'm inclined to think it's something other than the bit, or, it's something new with the horse that the bit wasn't aggravating before but now is. Had his mouth checked lately? I'd rule that out first and then look at other sources of pain. No harm in giving "less" bit a try, but, just MHO, a horse that just starts rearing all of a sudden, with nothing else than what you've mentioned, pain has my bet for being the major culprit Even if "less" bit made it tolerable, still wouldn't mean there wasn't a problem in there; I'd have a suspicion about it til it was checked why a bit he was comfortable in for a year he was all of a sudden not. (Terrible syntax there, but you see my point - I hope! :lol:)

I do agree.He just had his teeth done 2 months ago.

used2
Dec. 29, 2009, 04:19 PM
I second Mollitor. After using the bit for a year now you have a problem? Maybe its not the bit.

Mollitor
Jan. 5, 2010, 10:18 PM
I second Mollitor. After using the bit for a year now you have a problem? Maybe its not the bit.

but he ONLY does it when he has the elevator in his mouth.

tBHj
Jan. 5, 2010, 11:23 PM
but he ONLY does it when he has the elevator in his mouth.

So you ride him in other bits, and when you ride with the elevator he rears?

Vindicated
Jan. 6, 2010, 01:28 AM
I did not note where you are from.

Consider this-Cold out, crappy footing, horse does not "play" while outside. Roads may be bad, again cold-may not get ridden as often or long as usual.

Horse may be fresh, horse may have been accidently (or purposefully) punished with the bit.

Rearing is usually either, I don't want to go forward OR more frequently-I want to go forward and you won't let me.

Don't care how long the bit has been on the horse, and IMO that bit should NEVER be used daily. It is most likely the bit.

Vindicated
Jan. 6, 2010, 01:30 AM
Would like to add-
I am not against 3 rings, "wonder" bits or gags..I own a variety of each.

but given the mulitude of pressure points used with this bit, it is for correction only. Not daily use.

ThisIsIt
Jan. 6, 2010, 09:34 AM
Have you ruled out health issues completely?