PDA

View Full Version : GPS Speed Monitors?

Kairoshorses
Dec. 28, 2009, 11:32 PM
My friend, an avid jogger, got a GPS thingy that allows her to determine how far/fast she's going. She let me borrow it once to try to determine how fast I was going on horseback. We had to translate MPH to MPM...but it worked, so I was wondering....

Do eventers use these critters? Is there one that's particularly good for riders? Or is this something I'd be better of marking my ride in meters and figuring it out myself?

Trying to get used to what 400, 425, and 450 feel like on my new pony. I had 300, 325, and 350 down on my old horse, but his stride was a lot longer, and it's deceiving now!

KaBoom!
Dec. 28, 2009, 11:53 PM
Yes!

I have a Garmin 201 Forerunner.

Works great. Yes you have to convert kilometers per hour into meters per min but it it wonderful in giving you a sence of your horses pace are specific speeds.

It also has a program with a virtual partner that you can program a specific pace over a specific distance that you can even use on course.

Great fun to play with. I would like one that links with a heart rate monitor so that you can see how fit your horse is as you corralate speed/distance/ with heart rate.

LisaB
Dec. 29, 2009, 08:18 AM
I just got a handheld gps thingy and I can set it to meters. I haven't figured it out yet but I can probably do speed too. But it's a handheld.

RacetrackReject
Dec. 29, 2009, 09:21 AM
If you have a smartphone, alot of times you can do it with that. Just go to your phone's app store and look for gps programs. Blackberry and iPhone both have them =).

HER
Dec. 29, 2009, 03:07 PM
Does anyone have the Timex one that is in the Smartpak catalog? It costs about $200- are any of the others cheaper?
Helen

lduhamel
Dec. 30, 2009, 07:13 PM
I have the Timex one and used it to train for a long format one star and loved it. My husband converted the kilometers/hour to meters/min and I used the chart to work out my times for interval training. It was very useful and I would recommend it. I could easily check my speed within a gallop session, very handy when I needed to sprint for a couple minutes within a 6to7 min gallop. To get it cheaper look on ebay, I have other friends that got one that way.

purplnurpl
Dec. 30, 2009, 08:59 PM
I'm still old school. For your use, I think that is really cool!

But--course designers have used them to meter courses. That is frustrating. The GPS always meters the course shorter than the wheel. Meaning we have to run even faster to catch the "untrue" GPS distance.
I'm not on that wagon just yet. I prefer the meter wheel and I think organizers should use them as well.

secretariat
Dec. 31, 2009, 08:44 PM
Too much attention to speed and time can be a major detriment to your event, particularly at BN thru T. I strongly recommend that you leave the GPS at home, and do enough homework that you "feel" the speed and have an internal clock for the proper rhythm.

SkipChange
Dec. 31, 2009, 09:23 PM
Too much attention to speed and time can be a major detriment to your event, particularly at BN thru T. I strongly recommend that you leave the GPS at home, and do enough homework that you "feel" the speed and have an internal clock for the proper rhythm.

I could be wrong, but sounds like they are using the GPS as an aid in their homework to develop that "feel" for the speed so that they can develop an internal clock for rhythm/speed.