PDA

View Full Version : John Henry Statue - WOWZA!!!

Calena
Dec. 28, 2009, 12:50 PM
I just got my first look at pictures of the new statue. Artist Nina Kaiser is a remarkable talent. I almost expect JH to step off the platform and get loaded in the gate.

http://3.bp.blogspot.com/__OVFW6hFlGw/SzesBgQXlOI/AAAAAAAABXc/zYR4MJWgM7I/s1600-h/JohnHenry+Dedication+2.jpg

Great tribute to a great horse.

pinkdiamondracing
Dec. 28, 2009, 01:35 PM
AMAZING!!!! That statue looks so lifelike, right down to the big vein running down the underside of his belly!!! I love it!!:yes::yes::yes:

EponaRoan
Dec. 28, 2009, 01:45 PM
Laffit is just askin' to get kicked! :D

Rubyfree
Dec. 28, 2009, 02:03 PM
Wow. What a lovely work, and a lovely tribute to everyone's favorite ornery gelding.

Heehee!

Alibhai's Alibar
Dec. 28, 2009, 03:18 PM

:lol::lol::lol:

Beautiful statue!

Lady Counselor
Dec. 28, 2009, 03:48 PM
Gorgeous....but were his ears really that big? I met him twice and don't remember that.
Beautiful work though.

kellidahorsegirl
Dec. 28, 2009, 04:08 PM
What an AWESOME statue! I got to meet him at the KHP once...so cute. I can't find the photos right now though...have to keep looking!

Foxtrot's
Dec. 28, 2009, 06:14 PM
I met him at the KHP, tto. Where is the statue?

Luvinfoofy
Dec. 28, 2009, 06:40 PM
Gorgeous - its at Santa Anita.

ThisTooShallPass
Dec. 28, 2009, 06:52 PM
Lovely statue, though does not look a thing like John Henry.

Artists capable of authentic rendering are so difficult to find now days...

kellidahorsegirl
Dec. 28, 2009, 07:40 PM
I found the pics I have of him. I'm pretty sure this is him....I can't see the name on the halter, nor did I label, but I swear this is him (might not be!). He's obviously not in racing shape and has his adorable winter coat on, but this will give a comparison (sort of) to the statue :)

http://i306.photobucket.com/albums/nn257/kellidahorsegirl/JohnHenry1.jpg
http://i306.photobucket.com/albums/nn257/kellidahorsegirl/JohnHenry2.jpg

caryledee
Dec. 28, 2009, 08:15 PM
I saw John Henry run at Arlington Park eons ago (81-84) and I saw him on many occasions at the horse park as well. The statue looks very much like I remember him back in the 80s. It's pretty well known that before he stepped onto the track in the morning, he would stop and pose much like the statue. There is a gorgeous poster of him with that same pose as well...the saying is something like "Some were born great, others achieve it." I think the artist did a terrific job capturing that look.

Kellidahorsegirl- I can't tell if that is him either. The first thing I thought of is that it can't be him, as the chain isn't over his nose. He was quite cantankerous up until the very end. I remember him going on his daily walk in the last few weeks of his life, and the handler still used a stud chain! :)

kellidahorsegirl
Dec. 28, 2009, 08:28 PM
He was little right? Cuz I know for a fact he came to the circle during that showing...and was the only little horse besides Cigar (of which I KNOW what he looks like haha). I do remember a naughty one....and know the man handler led him.

The other bay I have photographed that day with the man handler is "Da Hoss" but he has much more light brown on the face and I can distinctly read his name plate

I'm 99% sure thats JH in those pics...just wish I could see the name plate HAHA

I think the statue is very regal of him :)

http://www.barntowire.com/Gallery/Stopandsmelltheroses.jpg
how about this comparison? I see the resemblance HAHA (don't worry, I'm only trying to prove thats who is in the photos or it'll drive me nuts!)

Kinsella
Dec. 28, 2009, 08:33 PM
That's him. The photos and the statue... (and the chain is under his chin in the pics)

mroades
Dec. 28, 2009, 08:45 PM
He was such a cool horse..when I saw him at KHP (cannot remember the year), he would scan the audience, and then look the horse people in the eye.

texang73
Dec. 29, 2009, 05:09 PM
Lovely statue. Nice tribute to a great racehorse! :)

Frog
Dec. 29, 2009, 10:05 PM
Lovely statue, though does not look a thing like John Henry.

Artists capable of authentic rendering are so difficult to find now days...

Well, when an artist can take digital photographs, and also print in 3D, what's the point of what you call "authentic rendering?" You mean copying photographs, like C.W. Anderson? As far as realism goes (and I think that's what you mean by "authentic rendering," or do you mean this artist is a fake?), Kaiser is just as good as any other! You know you can just make a mold of the saddle and bridle, right?
Let's be honest, thoroughbreds share so much of the same DNA, to catch a likeness based only on the shape of his body is pretty much impossible. To be a tribute to John Henry, the piece captures a presence that he had- if it were to merely exactly copy his body plane-for-plane, it would not be nearly as bold as it is!

pinkdiamondracing
Dec. 30, 2009, 08:43 AM
He was such a cool horse..when I saw him at KHP (cannot remember the year), he would scan the audience, and then look the horse people in the eye.

One morning after working all night at Rood and Riddle, I decided to take a drive over to the KHP to see John, and while talking to Cathy-- one of the head people in charge of the Hall of Champions-- I was telling here about my years in the racing industry, and she let me go in his stall and feed him some treats that I had brought him, he loved Little Debbie Oatmeal Creme Pies. He was old and thin, but he still had "the look" and he and I spent a bit of time reliving the past together. I didn't get pictures, but it will forever live in the depths of my heart and mind. He was gone a couple weeks later.
So very glad I went to see him.

DLee
Dec. 30, 2009, 09:14 AM
Gorgeous sculpture. Hope to see it one day.

danceronice
Dec. 30, 2009, 10:44 AM
An in-law of a friend "met" John Henry before he went to the KHP (she was in those kind of social circles--never owned horses herself but knew a lot of the bigger-name people) and she told me when I met her about how he just looked over everyone from his stall with the evil eye (or at least crabby). She lingered while the others moved on because it was *John Henry* (most of the other guests weren't really horse people), and JH actually came over to investigate her. The groom went and got carrots (apparently they kept his stash locked up) and let her feed him one, since the horse normally wasn't exactly social and apparently the fact that he wasn't trying to take a chunk out of her meant he would maybe permit her to feed him without taking fingers. She always thought, she told me, he knew she was a horse person and not just gawking, so he granted an audience. He knew who appreciated him for what he was.

I only ever saw him at the KHP, probably...well, fifteen or more years ago (I think I was in middle school.) I do think his ears were...longish. I remember he didn't strike me as the pretty type TB (and take a look at his Breyer model for how they rendered him!)

BabyGreen
Dec. 30, 2009, 10:47 AM
May 6, 1984 A nine-year old John Henry beat a pretty good horse, Silveyville, to win the Golden Gate Handicap and set a track record (which still stands).

25 years ago, I still remember taking pictures of him in the winners circle, and him dancing around and posing.

Thanks for posting the picture, it's a glorious statue.

DickHertz
Dec. 30, 2009, 10:58 AM
Is it just me or does the statue make him out to be a better looking horse than he was? I kind of wish it was more realistic about the type of looking horse he was.

Barnfairy
Dec. 30, 2009, 11:12 AM
She always thought, she told me, he knew she was a horse person and not just gawking, so he granted an audience. He knew who appreciated him for what he was.
Interesting.

I'm pretty sure I've shared this bit of sappiness on the forum before, so forgive me for repeating. I visited JH at KHP in May of '07. When I saw him, in person, I was so overcome at being in the presence of his greatness that I had to leave. I didn't think the tough old bird would appreciate me sobbing in front of his stall.

I managed to get to the lunch shack before breaking down. There he was, John Henry, drinking from his water bucket and being crotchety. Other patrons became mildly concerned by the crazy lady crying at the picnic table.

After regaining composure, I returned to the Hall of Champions later for one of the showings, and then again after all of the shows were finished for the day. Most of the day JH remained in the shade of his stall, pretty much blocking out everyone around the barn.

I lingered.

While reading his plaque and admiring his accomplishments all over again, John stepped out of his stall, situated himself in a perfect spot for pictures, and grazed literally just a few bites before heading back into his stall. If I'd blinked I'd have missed it.

Maybe it's corny but I really felt like he was acknowledging me. (He was probably cussing on his way back in. "There. Did you get your G.D. picture? Would you get the hell outta here now?").

Here's the shot he granted me: John Henry (http://inlinethumb22.webshots.com/31573/2099860870099108256S600x600Q85.jpg)

The statue is beautiful.

VirginiaBred
Dec. 30, 2009, 12:19 PM
I found the pics I have of him. I'm pretty sure this is him....I can't see the name on the halter, nor did I label, but I swear this is him (might not be!).
http://i306.photobucket.com/albums/nn257/kellidahorsegirl/JohnHenry1.jpg
http://i306.photobucket.com/albums/nn257/kellidahorsegirl/JohnHenry2.jpg

Definitely him (and you can see his name on the halter).
I also have pictures, but mine were a few months before he died. Your's are great!

I love the staute.

kellidahorsegirl
Dec. 30, 2009, 12:45 PM
How the heck can you see his name on the halter? I can't see it in the photos and I photoshoped the crap out of them to try to see (even though I remembered it was him).

**ETA: I think you're seeing the light I wasn't seeing, cuz I sorta see it now! Its a darker color that BARELY shows his name huh? NICE!!!

Barnfairy...LOVE your story!!! I didn't get all sobby like you but I pretty well had the same reaction when meeting Cigar that same day. He came to the grated door and this dumb lady was in my way. I'm NEVER rude but my mom and dad (I was 18) were LAUGHING cuz they said I literally nudged her OUT of my way! I don't remember cuz I was busy sticking my finger through the grate to touch his nose :D

kookicat
Dec. 30, 2009, 12:48 PM
That is lovely! :)

danceronice
Dec. 30, 2009, 01:16 PM
Maybe it's corny but I really felt like he was acknowledging me. (He was probably cussing on his way back in. "There. Did you get your G.D. picture? Would you get the hell outta here now?").

He just seemed to KNOW. He was one of those celebs who might have hated the paparazzi, but he knew he was worth looking at, too.

texang73
Dec. 30, 2009, 02:56 PM
Interesting.

I'm pretty sure I've shared this bit of sappiness on the forum before, so forgive me for repeating. I visited JH at KHP in May of '07. When I saw him, in person, I was so overcome at being in the presence of his greatness that I had to leave. I didn't think the tough old bird would appreciate me sobbing in front of his stall.

I managed to get to the lunch shack before breaking down. There he was, John Henry, drinking from his water bucket and being crotchety. Other patrons became mildly concerned by the crazy lady crying at the picnic table.

After regaining composure, I returned to the Hall of Champions later for one of the showings, and then again after all of the shows were finished for the day. Most of the day JH remained in the shade of his stall, pretty much blocking out everyone around the barn.

I lingered.

While reading his plaque and admiring his accomplishments all over again, John stepped out of his stall, situated himself in a perfect spot for pictures, and grazed literally just a few bites before heading back into his stall. If I'd blinked I'd have missed it.

Here's the shot he granted me: John Henry (http://inlinethumb22.webshots.com/31573/2099860870099108256S600x600Q85.jpg)

The statue is beautiful.

I cried too the first time I saw him. I got lucky in that he was abit younger then and they brought him out of his stall for me. The second time I saw him about 6 months before he passed, I got some nice pasture shots of him. Didn't cry that time though... http://www.horsephotoguy.com/gallery/displayimage.php?album=45&pos=1

farmgirl88
Dec. 30, 2009, 03:04 PM
How the heck can you see his name on the halter? I can't see it in the photos and I photoshoped the crap out of them to try to see (even though I remembered it was him).

**ETA: I think you're seeing the light I wasn't seeing, cuz I sorta see it now! Its a darker color that BARELY shows his name huh? NICE!!!

Barnfairy...LOVE your story!!! I didn't get all sobby like you but I pretty well had the same reaction when meeting Cigar that same day. He came to the grated door and this dumb lady was in my way. I'm NEVER rude but my mom and dad (I was 18) were LAUGHING cuz they said I literally nudged her OUT of my way! I don't remember cuz I was busy sticking my finger through the grate to touch his nose :D

your pictures are most definately mr. cranky. i have photos of him out grazing in his paddock when i was there showing not long before his death and i will second that those photos are in fact him.

Calena
Dec. 30, 2009, 11:52 PM
It's nice to know I'm not the only one in awe of some of these great race horses. It always shocks me when I burst into tears just from seeing them, something about true greatness hits on the deepest level.

The statue, this it be right :yes:.