PDA

View Full Version : My Hoofwings made it in...

baylady7
Dec. 28, 2009, 11:48 AM
Good morning
Wanted to let folks know that my Hoofwing hoof boots made it in over the last week. Rode in them yesterday (albeit in the ring- ground is like a wet sponge elsewhere) and was very happy with them. They stayed put and did not appear to rub at all. They are very snug, which I am sure helps with that. I will keep folks posted on any developments and will gladly answer any questions that I can for folks who are considering using them. I used in the past, basic easy boots (they came off) and Cavallo Simple Boots (did okay, never came off, rubbed unless I used liners and tended to move around some). My dressage trainer suggested these to me (one of the horses she has came in with them) and so far I am a happy customer. My horse seemed to like them and moved out quite well with them on.

matryoshka
Dec. 28, 2009, 02:42 PM
Glad to hear they came in. I'm interested in hearing how you like them. I wanted to try them in the past, but the horse's feet were too wide for the boots.

Keep us updated, please and thank you!

whicker
Dec. 28, 2009, 03:27 PM
I just saw your thread. What are hoof wiings and will they work on a TB type hoof? You mentioned a dressage horse wearing them. Are they light?

matryoshka
Dec. 28, 2009, 10:53 PM
Check out www.hoofwings.com. It's the length and width measurements that matter, not what type of foot. Also, hoofwings are one of the few boots that are designed for turnout (you don't need to remove boots and dry out hoof ever day). My understanding is that you do need to check for twigs and debris that may have worked their way between the boot and the hoof, but otherwise, they are good for turnout and riding.

I was looking at them for an OTTB, but he had very wide feet. My current OTTB would probably fit them just fine, but I already had Epics that fit him (the same ones I used to put on another OTTB's hind feet).

baylady7
Dec. 29, 2009, 10:08 AM
My understanding is that they have stock sizes but also will make custom ones (for a higher cost). Mine are semi custom in that hewas just a bit small for one size so they added some shims for a tight fit.

My horse is a dressage horse, but mostly does trails now. But with all the rain we have ben in the ring quite a bit. I even jumped in them the other day with no problems. I will keep folks posted.

Like Matroyshka said, here is the website and lucky you they have a sale in Dec.

http://www.horsesneaker.com/

matryoshka
Jan. 1, 2010, 12:09 AM
When I was looking, the only ones they offered custom fit on where the ones that cover the coronet (not talking about the wrap, but the actual boot). Those aren't designed for turnout.

At the time I was looking for a high-mileage boot. Now I can't ride high-mileage if I want to, unless I can find a saddle that doesn't cause me pain...and I thought searching for boots was tough!

PRS
Jan. 5, 2010, 10:12 AM
When I was looking, the only ones they offered custom fit on where the ones that cover the coronet (not talking about the wrap, but the actual boot). Those aren't designed for turnout.

At the time I was looking for a high-mileage boot. Now I can't ride high-mileage if I want to, unless I can find a saddle that doesn't cause me pain...and I thought searching for boots was tough!

Have you considered a treeless saddle? I too have severe pain while riding, mostly in my hips and knees. I purchased a Sensation G3 Hybrid saddle and LOVE it! It can't believe how secure and comfortable this saddle is and I can ride for hours with literally NO pain! I demoed and purchased mine from Melissa at www.freedomtreeless.com http://www.freedomtreeless.com/Gallery.html (that's my horse and saddle in the bottom picture)

Getting back to the original topic....it is my understanding that hoofwings were originally designe as a therapy boot for laminitic horses and ponies but have since been beefed up to be a riding/driving boot. They used to all be custom made but they now make stock sizes and will custom make boots for a hard to fit horse. I talked to them a little over a year ago about making boots for my donkey...(talk about hard to fit :lol:) but they were way more than I wanted to spend. Especially since my donkey is and has always been perfectly sound and I was looking to buy them as a precaution against possible damage. I found the people I spoke with both very friendly and knowledgeable and should I every have a need for their product I will not hesitate to call them. I too will be very interested in the experience of the OP with her new boots as I currently use Old Macs for my riding horse.

matryoshka
Jan. 6, 2010, 03:28 PM
Thanks PRS. Yep, have tried treeless, found one that mostly works for me on narrowish horses (it's a BMSS), but I've now deteriorated to the point where I have to grab my ankle with my hand and pull my leg over the horse to dismount. I'm going to try my old Abetta western and see if that works better for me. I love the Sensation but did not buy one--tried it and still had hip pain.

Baylady, any problems with rubs from the boots? How are they for riding?

baylady7
Jan. 7, 2010, 01:01 PM
Hello

Between the weather and work I have not ridden lately, so no updates. Hoping to get some riding in next month. Oy!!! Otherwise, they have been good. Theye did not appear to move at all on his feet so I am hopeful for no rubs. We rode outside the ring (walk only- it was very wet) and inside the ring (W,T,C and small jumps) that day when I used them with no problems.

baylady7
Jan. 10, 2010, 01:02 PM
Rode in the new boots for a 2nd time- yesterday in the light snow covered ground. No problems really- they are just very snug (as they are supposed to be) and I have to work a bit to get them on but then they are on good. The hair around the bulb seems to get compressed- not rubbed but compressed. Next time I will bring a camera and take pics to send to the vendor to see if this is okay or if we need to rework the fit of the boots (they will adjust them, I am sure for a cost, but it is better than having to buy new ones). They did indicate that they will stretch out plus I had them put "shims" in the back of the boots, so those may come out too. He seems to like them and did not slip in the snow. We walked and then for about 50 yards did some trot (the ground was hard and it was cold). It is even colder today so no riding for me today. Things are getting busy at work so may not ride again for a few weeks :( I will give another update then, but so far so good. They fit the best of all the boots I have tried (they are after all semi-custom)

matryoshka
Jan. 10, 2010, 07:28 PM
I'm not riding right now either. Thanks for the update.