PDA

View Full Version : Anyone Else Do a Christmas Ride?

ChocoMare
Dec. 28, 2009, 11:32 AM
I've started a new tradition for me and my mare. Each Christmas Eve morning we go out, modestly decked out with a pretty saddle pad and my antique sleigh bell strand. This was my second year and, for a bit, thought it wouldn't happen. All I kept hearing on the weather report was RAIN, RAIN, RAIN.

Fortunately, the winds died down enough the previous night that it was mostly clear Thursday morning, so I tacked up and headed out. It was fab!

A good breeze, mostly quiet, a few walkers/cyclists to greet with a loud MERRY CHRISTMAS and even one guy who had to take our picture. Penny loves the papparazi! :lol:

Here she is! http://pets.webshots.com/photo/2576938350015305252cakkSQ

And I even got a little video for sound effects ;) http://pets.webshots.com/video/3042281120015305252zxTXUp

:cool:

Simbalism
Dec. 29, 2009, 01:24 AM
What a fun "tradition". Unfortunately here in Va we were still mostly covered with snow that was melting, plus several days of rain. It made for extremely yucky footing. Add to all this mix the fact that I had to work the whole week of Christmas and came down with a cold Christmas eve morning no riding for me until today. I loved the jingle bell video.

analise
Dec. 29, 2009, 10:28 AM
That does sound like fun! Unfortunately, for Christmas, I was in Mississippi visiting relatives and my horse was in Maryland! :) Maybe next year.

baylady7
Dec. 29, 2009, 11:23 AM
does two days after count? We wore bells (sleigh bells- four of em) too since there are hunters about, even though it was Sunday and we stayed in the ring!!!

ChocoMare
Dec. 29, 2009, 12:16 PM
does two days after count? We wore bells (sleigh bells- four of em) too since there are hunters about, even though it was Sunday and we stayed in the ring!!!

Of course it counts! Next year, head out and about. It's fun! :yes:

baylady7
Dec. 29, 2009, 01:25 PM
I wish we could have gone out- just too slick, wet and muddy, so we were relegated to the ring. Hopefully it will dry up some day- we keep looking for Noah!

Zu Zu
Dec. 29, 2009, 02:48 PM
I started my holiday rides with Thanksgiving - it was cold and windy but great ! Christmas was too blizzardly ~ so maybe New Year's. Love the picture of your mare Penny. Thanks for sharing.

jeano
Dec. 30, 2009, 02:16 PM
Abso-darn-lutely I did. It niced up in the afternoon, warm sun, temps around 60 here, and the clouds clearing away. Wet ground but since its sandy soil for the most part where I ride it wasnt slick, just puddly and splashy. Hunters were all home watching football and eating turkey so I had the woods to myself. I put the ham in the oven and went out for a couple hours.

I did Christmas Day and New Years rides even in OH with temps in the single digits, had a great pair of Swedish Army surplus wool pants to wear. Here in middle GA, I was in shirtsleeves Christmas Day.

Today its not nearly as nice as it was Christmas, but I might still get out after I take a stroll thru the woods to see can I find my riding buddy's lost easyboot. We didnt try to recover it from horseback yesterday because we are both too decrepit to mount from the ground and there was going to be a fairly long walk to a suitable stump, depending on just where it was (also that particular stretch of trail is pretty tight and her horse has a looong wheelbase--tricky to lead him thru some of it.) If I have time I'll ride after I get back. With more rain predicted I might not ride again til New Years day but ride I will.

LisaW-B
Jan. 4, 2010, 01:01 PM
Risk-Averse Rider and I went out for a short trail ride on Xmas Eve afternoon, with my horse wearing a big red and white candy-cane headband across his bridle, and hers in red boots and green saddle pad -- and a Santa hat. We got those we passed along the roads to smile and wave at us. :D

paintlady
Jan. 4, 2010, 01:20 PM
Very cute picture and video!

What a fun "tradition". Unfortunately here in Va we were still mostly covered with snow that was melting, plus several days of rain. It made for extremely yucky footing.

:yes: However, I did ride my mare in a Christmas parade on December 12. We had a "peppermint" themed costume. My local horse club does this parade annually, but this was our first (and hopefully not last) year participating in it.

I did ride my mare on New Years Day. :)

jazzrider
Jan. 4, 2010, 03:30 PM
My trailer was buried in snow, our gates were stuck closed by drifts, and we had a house full of family so no trail riding for me! But it sounds like you had a lot of fun. What a great tradition! :yes:

Heart's Journey
Jan. 5, 2010, 09:14 AM
I didn't ride Christmas Day, but left the day after for a 5 day camping trip with friends. I day rode at 2 places along the way to the camping location, camped for 3 nights at Alafia River State park riding, eating, talking around the campfire, then headed off to another location for 1 night.

I day rode at a new place along the way, then met 4 new friends that were camping at Little Manatee River State park. (No one would ever call me shy!). They were very welcoming and shared their warm fire and adventures with me.

Our club holds an Electric Light Night Ride each year at the town's lighting of the tree ceremony. We dress the horses up in lights (ala Electric Horseman) and let the kids pet the horses, etc. The first couple of years we rode in a park and it was a hoot to see these lights moving in the woods and sometimes the horses would buck, swish their lighted tails, etc really cool effect.

Wal mart sells the battery operated lights and they work quite well.

TikiSoo
Jan. 5, 2010, 11:03 AM
A Christmas eve ride at dusk was a tradition for me and my 14h white mare. I'd outfit her in bells, battery operated lights, tinsel and a red bareback pad. I'd bundle up in a fur coat and we'd leisurely walk through the suburban tract that popped up nearby. At first, kids would hear the bells and peek out the windows. After a few years, people started expecting us and kids in snowsuits would run down the driveway to pet the pony and offer her carrots. Better than caroling!