PDA

View Full Version : How come? Can't seem to find a horse

ThisIsIt
Dec. 27, 2009, 07:18 PM
I know we have had maybe about a billion and one of these, but I am genuinely curious. I have been looking for a horse or pony to lease for 4 months or so. I know that isn't exceptionally long, but it is certainly longer than I thought. I don't think my expectations are too high, it just seems like the few things I do find, never end up working. I am just looking for a pony or small horse in MD/VA that jumps, can go out on some trails, do a little bit of showing, and just generally have fun on. I am not a rank beginner that needs a babysitter, but on the other hand I am no pro either. Price isn't really a huge deal either. Should I reconsider the requirements? I would think that with the economy the way it is now, there would be alot more "options" for lack of a better word. Maybe my eyes aren't open? I'm not looking in the right spots? Where should I be looking? Please enlighten me. :winkgrin:

ridingschmedly
Dec. 27, 2009, 07:28 PM
Have you looked on equine.com or dreamhorse.com. You could also try placing an add on craigslist.com. My barn used to have a nice paint gelding that was for sale/lease, but I think my trainer sold him, as I haven't seen him around for a while. -shurgs- I'll keep my eyes open for you and let you know.

ThisIsIt
Dec. 27, 2009, 07:31 PM
I've looked at both of those, but maybe i'll try making an ad on craigslist. Thanks.

piaffequeen
Dec. 27, 2009, 07:32 PM
sent you a pm:)

ThisIsIt
Dec. 27, 2009, 09:12 PM
sent you a pm:)
Thanks.

superpony123
Dec. 27, 2009, 10:30 PM
i am in a similar dilemma -- but with different specifications i guess. i have a very limited budget and am looking for something rather specific (height range 15-16 hands. i am trying not to be picky, but i want to move up from a pony, however i am only 5' :lol: i look like a peanut on anything bigger than 16 h) and other specifics. trainer and i have been looking, and i am having a hard time finding something that is suitable (well, one of the first horses i tried was actually perfect, but the deal wasnt working out, unfortunately. :( so i feel like ive missed out on "the one") and it's been hard to find something.

what i suggest is that you narrow your search, because what you've stated is very vague. what i am looking for is extremely specific, which is equally as hard to find as a vague search. so, narrow it down a bit. figure some things out: horse or pony? show quality or not? if so--hunters or jumpers? any height needs for jumping? (should it be able to do 3'? or is it okay for less?)

it would be much easier for your trainer to find something suitable if she had a much more solid idea of what youre really looking for.

ponyxjd
Dec. 27, 2009, 10:42 PM
ThisIsIt, just wondering, how many horses have you seen and why did you not find them suitable?

SaddleFitterVA
Dec. 27, 2009, 10:46 PM
You must have some requirements or restrictions that you aren't mentioning. Like no mares, no chestnuts, no thoroughbreds, etc. Or, your price range is more restrictive than you indicate.

There are a lot of horses for sale right now. Even on the bulletin boards in tack shops.

Windswept Stable
Dec. 27, 2009, 10:52 PM
I am wondering why you want to lease 4 months?
Perhaps that is making a difference as longer term may increase the odds.

Where have you been looking?

ThisIsIt
Dec. 27, 2009, 11:17 PM
I am wondering why you want to lease 4 months?
Perhaps that is making a difference as longer term may increase the odds.

Where have you been looking?

I'm sorry, I guess I didn't make myself clear. What I meant by that was that was how long I had been SEARCHING for a horse to lease, not how long I wanted it to be for.

Online, through my trainer, at the local tack shop.
I'm out of ideas.

tallygirl
Dec. 27, 2009, 11:18 PM
she said she had been looking for 4 months not she was looking for a lease for 4 months.

ThisIsIt
Dec. 27, 2009, 11:20 PM
You must have some requirements or restrictions that you aren't mentioning. Like no mares, no chestnuts, no thoroughbreds, etc. Or, your price range is more restrictive than you indicate.

There are a lot of horses for sale right now. Even on the bulletin boards in tack shops.

Not really, although maybe I should. Breed, color, or gender really don't matter as long as it's "the right horse" personality wise. And unless it's $900 a month for a lease, price is also not an issue really.

Yes, that's the problem. I'm not looking for a sale-simply a lease. I have found quite a few horses that seem to fit the bill, but aren't available for lease.

ThisIsIt
Dec. 27, 2009, 11:23 PM
ThisIsIt, just wondering, how many horses have you seen and why did you not find them suitable?

Maybe 7 or so?
One reason or another. Owner simply not responding, issue with health, some hidden thing I wasn't aware of, something my trainer and or I didn't like upon further discussion, ect.

fourmares
Dec. 27, 2009, 11:25 PM
Superpony123 too bad you are clear across the country... although mine might not have enough show miles on him for a good move up horse.

ThisIsIt - maybe try contacting the DC of your local pony club.

SaddleFitterVA
Dec. 28, 2009, 07:17 AM
Are you looking for an off-farm lease? As in, you take the horse to another facility?

Because those are harder to find. Not impossible, but often, that is found via word of mouth.

I lease out some of my own horses, mostly on-farm, but to the right person, I'd consider off-farm, but that is not something that anyone would find advertised. That would be a situation where someone knew someone else who knew me and I knew the barn where my horses would be, and they asked me, tried it and it all worked out.

Also, I know of a lady who is pregnant and looking to lease out her show horse, no idea of the particulars, but it is in Northern VA, but not a facility with tons of trails.

Most people want to sell horses, not just lease them out for a bunch of reasons.

Tackpud
Dec. 28, 2009, 08:14 AM
Contact me - I"m sure I can find you something totally suitable for a lease - or the other poster - to buy. I have many options available.

AllyandPete
Dec. 28, 2009, 11:21 AM
I feel your pain!!!!!!!!!!!!! I just want a younger 16+ hand mare! I don't even care if she has a solid w/t/c on her yet, and I keep coming up empty handed! BLAH! Ill keep my fingers crossed for you if you keep them crossed for me! lol

kellyb
Dec. 28, 2009, 11:24 AM
Sorry, it is frustrating. When you're not actively looking (don't have $$ or time etc) it always seems like the most amazing deals come along and there are just sooo many out there. But when it comes time to buy they all go into hiding :lol:

ThisIsIt
Dec. 28, 2009, 11:38 AM
I feel your pain!!!!!!!!!!!!! I just want a younger 16+ hand mare! I don't even care if she has a solid w/t/c on her yet, and I keep coming up empty handed! BLAH! Ill keep my fingers crossed for you if you keep them crossed for me! lol

Yes, I definately will keep my fingers crossed for you! ;)

ThisIsIt
Dec. 28, 2009, 11:39 AM
Sorry, it is frustrating. When you're not actively looking (don't have $$ or time etc) it always seems like the most amazing deals come along and there are just sooo many out there. But when it comes time to buy they all go into hiding :lol:

Haha, I know. Oh dear...:no:

SaddleFitterVA
Dec. 28, 2009, 04:29 PM
Just the other day I saw an amazing deal, but it was for a free horse. As in, not leasing, you own. Kid going off to college. I see free horses at least once a month, and I'm not even looking.

Finding amazing deals where someone else retains ownership of the horse, that is tricky.

fourmares
Dec. 28, 2009, 05:51 PM
AllyandPete... www.canter.org ... Try PA or Mid Atlantic.

Eeq
Dec. 28, 2009, 07:00 PM
Take a look on http://www.everyequestrian.com we have a few lease horses available.

RugBug
Dec. 28, 2009, 07:48 PM
Are you looking for an off-farm lease? As in, you take the horse to another facility?

Because those are harder to find. Not impossible, but often, that is found via word of mouth.

As the owner of a horse I would love to lease, I agree. It would take a very special situation for me to let my horse go to an off-farm lease. I'd almost rather sell him first, even if it meant getting a fraction of his value.

Leasing is problematic for an owner...and off-farm leasing even more so. On-site leasing means I can keep on eye on the horse, make sure he's being kept properly, fed, exercised enough, but not too much, etc. I would have no idea about any of that off-site...until I had an injured or under weight or fried horse returned to me.

You'd have better luck if you purchased a horse or if your trainer can find a lease horse for you.

EightBelles134
Dec. 28, 2009, 08:19 PM
are there any horses available at the barn that you ride at that are for lease that you could try leasing?

ThisIsIt
Dec. 28, 2009, 08:25 PM
^ No, believe me I have checked. I would LOVE if there was something at my own barn to lease. But alas, there is not. I'm beginning to think I should just stick with lessons this year.