PDA

View Full Version : it was 2009 local circuit finals and....

ponyhunter62
Dec. 26, 2009, 10:23 PM
THERE WAS A PONY WITH PINK YARN FOR BRAIDS!
just wanted to say this was the coolest thing and it was adorable. this pony was a b&w paint and it looked so cool. this was such a good idea. maybe you should try it!?

***lightening up the forums:)

alteringwego
Dec. 26, 2009, 10:42 PM
Cute!

ponyhunter62
Dec. 26, 2009, 10:46 PM
it was adorable. the hot pink really made pony stand out

fourmares
Dec. 27, 2009, 12:14 AM
How retro... you saw that a lot in the 80's.

Big_Grey_hunter
Dec. 27, 2009, 12:23 AM
Ben wore RWB for 4th of July. I don't see it as very appropriate in most cases. SS maybe okay, but I wouldn't for any other class

http://i166.photobucket.com/albums/u103/1dog3cats17rodents/barn%20horses/034.jpg

superpony123
Dec. 27, 2009, 12:35 AM
oh man, im so split on this -- i mean, i'd totally do that but my trainer is INCREDIBLY traditionalist. so the thought would never even cross my mind, because my trainer would not let me leave the trainer with my pony looking like that what with colorful braids :lol: but i can have fun with colors at home as long as i'm not in a lesson, so it's not so bad :)

frankly though i dont think its appropriate for a circuit final or anything more than a schooling show, and definitely not a big division even at a schoolling show (but i guess SS its okay. i mean, the kids are tiny. of course theyre going to have pink)

theoldgreymare
Dec. 27, 2009, 12:37 PM
I'm too old and traditional for colored yarn. Our ponies always showed in yarn or thread that matched their mane (even at the local level). But what can I say, I am old and set in my ways. In my book, colored yarn ranks right up there with he enormous bows I see on kids now.....blech.

twobays
Dec. 27, 2009, 02:26 PM
oh I like it!

As long as everything else is traditional (navy jacket, beige pants, white shirt, normal/conventional tack) I think it's a cute idea. I wouldn't do it for a confo class or a big eq final, but anything else it would be cute.

fourmares
Dec. 28, 2009, 12:45 AM
I have a lovely win picture from Jr. Grand Nationals back in 1984. The big dark bay gelding I showed is braided in rose colored braids. On the right horse, with a really good braid job color can be nice... if the braids aren't perfect it will show from a mile off. Most greys and dark bays are good candidates.

headsupheelsdown
Dec. 28, 2009, 01:05 AM
Along the same lines...Wasn't there someone just recently who had a horse named Ruby that would put a red bead in one of the braids?

I also saw some horses a couple of summers ago that had small square beads (the kind you get anywhere in kids bracelet kits) sewn into their braids that were the initials of the owner or the name of the horse... I thought THAT was really cute and you couldn't see it unless you were really close...

FrenchFrytheEqHorse
Dec. 28, 2009, 09:03 AM
I braid relatively often, and for the 3' horses, I often ask the owners if I can use a "slightly colored" yarn for their horses. Typically, I'll use burgundy for chestnuts and navy blue for black manes. I usually just use a slightly darker grey for grey manes. I find that it looks pretty classy, and it's super easy to remove the braids at the end of the day when you can actually see the yarn. That being said, I do it at the owner's discretion, and never on regular horses/ponies.

hellerkm
Dec. 28, 2009, 09:07 AM
I braid relatively often, and for the 3' horses, I often ask the owners if I can use a "slightly colored" yarn for their horses. Typically, I'll use burgundy for chestnuts and navy blue for black manes. I usually just use a slightly darker grey for grey manes. I find that it looks pretty classy, and it's super easy to remove the braids at the end of the day when you can actually see the yarn. That being said, I do it at the owner's discretion, and never on regular horses/ponies.
I love the idea but like many others I am more of a traditionalist, so I stick with yarn that matches fairly well ( our liver chestnut ponies mane is Tough to match exactally!) I wish you had pics I would love to see how it looked!!

Renn/aissance
Dec. 28, 2009, 01:15 PM
I can do navy. I can do plum on a blue roan. I can do a very pale blue on a white or gray. But pink yarn makes me twitch.

heartinrye
Dec. 28, 2009, 02:51 PM
Kind of off-topic, but I have a liver chestnut with a pretty dark mane/tail, (so dark his passport says he's a bay...) I was thinking burgundy might look nice or maybe navy? The braiders usually use brown, but its too light and makes his braids look funny.

scotchie
Dec. 28, 2009, 03:15 PM
I have our braider do my dark bay in navy or dark green or some other dark color that is NOT black because it's too hard for me to see when taking it out!

One year we were at a show that fell over 9/11 and she did one middle braid with RWB- it was very conservative and looked nice. Our whole barn had it (about 15 horses/ponies) and it was a nice tribute.

I think the ponies can get away with the fun colors like pink! I remember when they showed with pom poms!

Jumper6252
Dec. 28, 2009, 04:38 PM
I used to have a little grey pony and the braider would always put one pink braid in the middle of her mane. It was her "lucky braid"

AllyandPete
Dec. 28, 2009, 06:09 PM
Considering the turn-out that I have seen at some of our our local circuit shows, I would be happy to see that someone cared enough to braid their pony, regardless of what color yarn they used. It's not like shes putting rainbow poofballs in for macclay finals...its just a little kid, on a little pony, at a little show. I bet it was adorable.

on a side note we have done some syracuse pha stuff with burgundy or hunter green braids

AmandaandTuff
Dec. 28, 2009, 06:19 PM
I use a dark blue on my horse. Though I'm the only one at the local shows who actually uses yarn instead of rubber bands. For open speed classes I'd love to braid in my colors, or for eventing.

fourmares
Dec. 28, 2009, 07:00 PM
Heartinrye - On a liver chestnut you navy or burgandy would be lovely, or if you want to be more traditional, black. you could also do a really dark hunter green depending on the color of your coat.

lexie1
Dec. 28, 2009, 09:03 PM
I was showing Jr. horses in the '80s and yes we did colored yarn, but what we did was the color of our hunt coat. If you wore a navy coat, navy yarn, and when hunter green coats came in fashion, hunter green yarn.

When I was a little bitty kid, my trainer would put a different color in the braid where my hands were supposed to be for a crest release - to mark the spot where I should put my hands down. I got in the habit of grabbing that braid with my left forefinger because the pony cracked his back so hard, and to this day, I have that habit.

At the time, brown coats were OUT and gray were rare, although you would see gray coats on kids on gray ponies. More likely, you would see gray jods with blue coats (and white shirts) on kids with gray ponies. Seriously, we did wear gray breeches in the '80s.

Back in my day, you didn't wear high boots on a pony unless you were ... shall we say, mature for your age. You know what I mean... And back in my day you could show smalls even if you were 18 years old.

Sometimes people matched polo wraps to hunt jackets in the equitation classes.

I'm sooooooo dating myself. Back to my Duran Duran albums...

hellerkm
Dec. 28, 2009, 09:17 PM
I was showing Jr. horses in the '80s and yes we did colored yarn, but what we did was the color of our hunt coat. If you wore a navy coat, navy yarn, and when hunter green coats came in fashion, hunter green yarn.

When I was a little bitty kid, my trainer would put a different color in the braid where my hands were supposed to be for a crest release - to mark the spot where I should put my hands down. I got in the habit of grabbing that braid with my left forefinger because the pony cracked his back so hard, and to this day, I have that habit.

At the time, brown coats were OUT and gray were rare, although you would see gray coats on kids on gray ponies. More likely, you would see gray jods with blue coats (and white shirts) on kids with gray ponies. Seriously, we did wear gray breeches in the '80s.

Back in my day, you didn't wear high boots on a pony unless you were ... shall we say, mature for your age. You know what I mean... And back in my day you could show smalls even if you were 18 years old.

Sometimes people matched polo wraps to hunt jackets in the equitation classes.

I'm sooooooo dating myself. Back to my Duran Duran albums...

I was there for all of it LOL!!! Gray breeches were awesome and I wore mine with a gray coat with a black velvet collar ( my sisters hand me down LOL) and very few kids wore long braids with big bows even in the pony hunters they all had hunter hair except the kids in the smalls they had braids with little bows.

fourmares
Dec. 29, 2009, 12:37 AM
Hey Lexie1 - I still school with a navaho pad at home.

heartinrye
Dec. 29, 2009, 12:06 PM
Heartinrye - On a liver chestnut you navy or burgandy would be lovely, or if you want to be more traditional, black. you could also do a really dark hunter green depending on the color of your coat.

Thanks! I'll just be hitting some small/unrated shows this summer so I think I'll try navy and burgundy so I don't hack off half his mane taking them out!

Donkaloosa
Dec. 29, 2009, 01:10 PM
A friend of mine would braid her solid black hunter in royal blue most of the time, but she ran out of yarn and I helped her do it in white. We thought it would look nice against the black. WRONG. It made him look like a toy whose stuffing was coming out... :-) In general, I like colors that are a little off of the mane color or matching, although I admit that pink on a pony would be cute.