PDA

View Full Version : The Saddle Hunt Begins

AHorseSomeDay
Dec. 26, 2009, 07:44 PM
Well I just sold my Beval Devon 2000 as it didn't fit my horse and was pinching him. I learned my lesson the day he bucked me off a month ago. I am riding in my trainer's saddle in the meanwhile. Right now I have a horse but no saddle.

Anyways, what saddle do you recommend for a 16.1 hand QH? I figure that I will have to try quite a few to get the right fit.

At the Equine Affaire, I sat in an Antares Richard Spooner model and it was so comfortable. Any pros or cons to this saddle? Do they fit a lot of horses?

Any other saddle suggestions? I was thinking about a Butet but have heard they don't fit a lot of horses and that they are mostly made for the TB type horse.

Tegan
Dec. 26, 2009, 07:48 PM
I've had good luck with Trumbull Mountain Tack Shop for saddle fitting. I love Black Country, and their semi-custom saddles only take about 2 months to be made and shipped from the UK.
You will need to take a wither tracing of your horse's back and some photos and send it into the company for suggestions.
I like Antares, and they have a lot of custom options, so they may be able to fit your horse. It's quite expensive and will take several months to come in if you order custom though.

Saddle fit completely depends on your horse's shape and what you like though.

Lucassb
Dec. 26, 2009, 08:00 PM
The only way to really figure out what to buy is to sit in a whole bunch of different saddles, IMO.

Personally I ride my BIG warmblood gelding in a Butet (one of the newer ones with the somewhat wider FB2 tree)... which I like a lot better than his previous custom saddles (Antares and Devoucoux.) However, saddle fit and preference are extremely individual.

If you have an opportunity to take your horse to a show that has one of the bigger mobile vendors, you can try a ton of already broken in saddles and figure out what you like best. It's a lot quicker (and less expensive, usually) than shipping individual saddles back and forth.

doublesstable
Dec. 26, 2009, 08:18 PM
When on my saddle hunt last year I really liked the CWD. I demoed A LOT of saddles and felt this one was really nice. There were many models.. I found the Bevals were made a bit thin - Like you said more for the TB type horses and pinched my wide shoulder horse.

I tried just about every saddle and liked the CWD the best. I tried Antares, Devoucoux, Bevals. The CWD's are pricey.. about 4,000 to 5,000. So if you have that in your budget; I can dig out the information if you want.

Invite
Dec. 26, 2009, 08:26 PM
I wonder about that Lynn Palm Alliance that is made by Forestier specifically for QH's. I think Dover carries them.
The last hunter barn I was at had a ton of County saddles. One really round, witherless pony wore a Barnsby. My big guy went in a wide Butet.
The L'Apogee saddles go up to XW in the tree and have short points.
Another barn I was at had tons of CWDs, some Tad Coffins, and the trainer had a Barnsby for her jumper.