PDA

View Full Version : half chaps

EightBelles134
Dec. 26, 2009, 05:03 PM
okay, i have a couple of questions about half chaps..my first lfquestion is:does anyone know of any half chaps that would work for schooling?the kind that i own are leather and zip in the back making them very hard to put on without assistance...also, are half chaps acceptable to wear when your eventing in the lower levels at recognized shows? and if not,what sort of tall boots would people reccomend?

Foxhall
Dec. 26, 2009, 05:12 PM
I think they changed the rule about showing in tall boots a couple years ago so now you can show in black boots and chaps, but they must be smooth grain (no suede).

I school in the Ariat smooth grain chaps (can't remember the exact name) they have a zipper in back but if you break them in, it's really not a hassle to zip on a day-to-day basis.

If you want to show in tall boots I would recommend the Vogel customs or if you are looking for something less expensive, Ariat makes nice tall boots as well.

asterix
Dec. 27, 2009, 04:25 PM
Goodness gracious, you don't need Vogel customs! Way to scare the poor thing!!!

Ok, first of all, the only thing most people i know wear for schooling is half chaps, right up through prelim/intermediate. Whatever is comfortable and supportive.

The "new" (maybe it's 2 years old now?) rule about showing in half chaps is as the previous poster said -- basically if your paddocks and half chaps "look" like tall boots -- all the same color, half chap are smooth/shiny leather and not suede -- these are legal. However you should probably check with the TD at your first few events just to make sure they pass muster.

Ariat tall boots and Mountain horse tall boots both have lots of fans. You can also often find good used tall boots at tack stores-- you just have to try them on!

Any boot that is in good condition and fits you well (snug enough, but not so snug your leg hurts, tall enough but not rubbing behind your knee) and is in decent shape is fine. People ride in field boots, dress boots, zipper boots, pull ons, etc.

Rescue_Rider9
Dec. 27, 2009, 07:29 PM
Go for used tall boots! I think the look soo much nicer, but schooling, anything you want. School in half chaps sometimes, but I love my tall boots so I wear those a lot of the time. You can get a good pair of tall boots used at the same price you would pay for a good pair of half chaps. I got my ariat heritage II's for $70. Good luck!!!

cranky
Dec. 27, 2009, 07:39 PM
I have very hard to fit calves and can't afford custom tall boots right now, so I showed all season in smooth leather half-chaps. I had no problems at any of the events I went to, both schooling and sanctioned. My smooth leather half-chaps zipper in the back and combined with my paddock boots, really do look like tall boots, you would have to look closely to notice that they're not. For daily schooling however, I wear suede half-chaps that zipper on the outside. They are much easier to put on than the ones I wear for competition. Each pair (both suede and smooth leather) didn't cost me more than $50.