PDA

View Full Version : how do I put the rubber donut on the new martingales I just bought?

hellerkm
Dec. 26, 2009, 01:56 PM
It is a standing martingale.

breezy28
Dec. 26, 2009, 02:07 PM
if you heat it in the microwave for just a short time it will loosen it up a bit -

klmck63
Dec. 26, 2009, 02:08 PM
Does it have a buckle around the neck? If so, slide it down the part that connects to the noseband, undo the buckle and thread one part of the neck strap through the donut with the other strap still in there and pop it on.

If it doesn't have a buckle, I'd probably slide it down over the collar with both pieces lined up together right to the bottom, and then squeeze the noseband strap through and pop it on. But all of mine have had buckles, so I'm not sure if there's a better way to do it.

For getting bit guards over bits with big cheek pieces (it's the same kind of rubber) I boil the kettle and hold the rubber in the steam for a couple minutes, then take two pieces of binding twine and stretch the guard over the bit. Perhaps something similar would work?

hellerkm
Dec. 26, 2009, 02:18 PM
Does it have a buckle around the neck? If so, slide it down the part that connects to the noseband, undo the buckle and thread one part of the neck strap through the donut with the other strap still in there and pop it on.

If it doesn't have a buckle, I'd probably slide it down over the collar with both pieces lined up together right to the bottom, and then squeeze the noseband strap through and pop it on. But all of mine have had buckles, so I'm not sure if there's a better way to do it.

For getting bit guards over bits with big cheek pieces (it's the same kind of rubber) I boil the kettle and hold the rubber in the steam for a couple minutes, then take two pieces of binding twine and stretch the guard over the bit. Perhaps something similar would work?

THANK YOU it worked perfectly!!!! Yeah!!!

Noctis
Dec. 26, 2009, 02:22 PM
Better luck than I had! I finally duct taped my darn schooling one because the donuts are of the DEVIL! LOL.

hellerkm
Dec. 26, 2009, 02:27 PM
Better luck than I had! I finally duct taped my darn schooling one because the donuts are of the DEVIL! LOL.
I did heat it in water in the mircowave first it made it easier to stretch!!

KPF
Dec. 26, 2009, 07:32 PM
Probably a dumb question, but I've always wondered-- why don't standing martingales come with the donuts already on them?

Sparky
Dec. 26, 2009, 07:40 PM
If you don't have hot water handy, put the donut on a prong of a tack hook, then put a hoof pick through the hole and pull to stretch it wide enough to put the buckle and strap through.

hellerkm
Dec. 26, 2009, 07:58 PM
Probably a dumb question, but I've always wondered-- why don't standing martingales come with the donuts already on them?
I have NO idea LOL but after today its not such a huge issue,now that I know how to get one on LOL!!!!

Simbalism
Dec. 28, 2009, 01:26 AM
I've always found a hoof pick handy in putting one on.

copper1
Dec. 28, 2009, 06:57 AM
Hang your martingale on the tack hook, man your hoof pick and say the magic words:!@#%^ and on it goes! LOL!

HunterJumperLuv
Dec. 28, 2009, 12:48 PM
I always take a piece of bailing twine, tie one end to a wall, and pull on the other end, have a second person feed the leather through.

Will have to try the microwave idea!

trubandloki
Dec. 28, 2009, 03:39 PM
Hang your martingale on the tack hook, man your hoof pick and say the magic words:!@#%^ and on it goes! LOL!

I have found that the more times you say that magic word (or whichever magic word you like best) the easier it goes on.

I think getting the darn doughnut on requires swearing.

kookicat
Dec. 28, 2009, 04:10 PM
Get someone else to do it. :winkgrin:

I've heard that martingales don't come with them in place because they can mark the leather. Not sure how true that is- I guess it depends on how they're packed while being transported.

Squirt
Dec. 28, 2009, 08:37 PM
the easiest way I have found to put them on is to slather the donut with dish soap. It makes everything nice and slippery. Just make sure you get it all off afterwards!

hellerkm
Dec. 29, 2009, 07:43 AM
the easiest way I have found to put them on is to slather the donut with dish soap. It makes everything nice and slippery. Just make sure you get it all off afterwards!

So maybe all the neatsfoot oil on my hands is what did the trick?? I have to say I am so glad that I am not the only person who has issues with this, I felt really stupid posting this question and now I see that others have the same hard time I do!!

Squirt
Dec. 29, 2009, 02:38 PM
yeah, the dish soap seems to make it even more slippery than the various oils. Dunno why.
PS rubber rein stops are even worse than martingale donuts.