PDA

View Full Version : Another Tack cleaning question

hellerkm
Dec. 26, 2009, 01:12 PM
Our ponies received Gatsby Bridles and Martingales for Christmas, they are intended to be their show bridles. They have pretty fancy stitching on them and they are not overly stiff and they don't have any of that white film that newer bridles sometimes have. If they are already pretty soft and there is no white wax( or I assume its wax you see) on them do I need to strip them first with ammonia and water or can I just lightly oil them and then put a bit of glycerin soap on top for that pretty clean look? Also should I AVOID using oil near the stitching will that make it turn brown? I really like how white and pretty it is now LOL!!!

Lucassb
Dec. 26, 2009, 03:38 PM
There is NO need to put ammonia on leather. Just oil them as usual if you think they need a little darkening/softening help, then *use* them and care for them as normal. A damp cloth and then some glycerin soap on a slightly damp sponge is really all you need. The white stitching isn't going to stay white long... there is really nothing you can do about that.

hellerkm
Dec. 26, 2009, 03:57 PM
Thanks I did want to soften them up a bit so I did exactly what you stated above they are now clean and softer I will use them a few times and repeat the process until they are as soft as I would like them to be.

lauriep
Dec. 27, 2009, 07:32 AM
There is NO need to put ammonia on leather. Just oil them as usual if you think they need a little darkening/softening help, then *use* them and care for them as normal. A damp cloth and then some glycerin soap on a slightly damp sponge is really all you need. The white stitching isn't going to stay white long... there is really nothing you can do about that.

I really wish you would quit saying that because the ammonia/water solution works beautifully in a tack cleaning regimen. It is extremely useful on both new tack and for daily cleaning. If you don't want to use it, fine, but there is certainly nothing wrong with using it.

Lucassb
Dec. 27, 2009, 10:38 PM
I really wish you would quit saying that because the ammonia/water solution works beautifully in a tack cleaning regimen. It is extremely useful on both new tack and for daily cleaning. If you don't want to use it, fine, but there is certainly nothing wrong with using it.

We can agree to disagree about ammonia. I see no need for it especially on brand new tack and have seen more than one nice item ruined by someone putting ammonia on it. If you want to use it on yours, by all means continue, since you've had good results with it. The world is full of different opinions.

BAC
Dec. 28, 2009, 10:32 AM

I also have to agree to disagree. Every time I have tried it I have been very unhappy with the results. I wouldn't recommend ammonia to anyone.

headsupheelsdown
Dec. 28, 2009, 11:10 AM
Never heard of using ammonia on tack! What on earth. That just doesn't sound right (JMHO).

What is it supposed to do? Is it an east coast thing or am I completely out of the loop on this?

BAC
Dec. 28, 2009, 11:27 AM
The white stitching isn't going to stay white long... there is really nothing you can do about that.

Strangely enough, the stitching on my cheap Dover bridle has stayed surprisingly white while the stitching on my Antares is barely noticeable. The stitching on my CWD is also very white despite several oilings and cleanings, although that one is still too new to know how it will turn out. All of them get cleaned with the same products so I'm at a loss as to why some look whiter than others. :confused:

hellerkm
Dec. 28, 2009, 11:41 AM
Strangely enough, the stitching on my cheap Dover bridle has stayed surprisingly white while the stitching on my Antares is barely noticeable. The stitching on my CWD is also very white despite several oilings and cleanings, although that one is still too new to know how it will turn out. All of them get cleaned with the same products so I'm at a loss as to why some look whiter than others. :confused:

When I did the bridles the other day the "fancy stitching" got darker, but the stitching on the edges stayed white, I am sure it will turn in time but for now I like how it looks!

BAC
Dec. 28, 2009, 11:59 AM
Never heard of using ammonia on tack! What on earth. That just doesn't sound right (JMHO).

What is it supposed to do? Is it an east coast thing or am I completely out of the loop on this?

Its actually an old time method that some people still prefer to use. I think there are better products available that are kinder to the leather than ammonia.

sarcam02
Dec. 28, 2009, 03:56 PM
White wax can usually be "rubbed" off with a terry cloth towel. For big cleanings I used castile soap and olive oil. For everday I wipe down with a bit of glycerine soap.