PDA

View Full Version : WEF Vs. Ocala

terryallenf
Dec. 26, 2009, 01:02 PM
Title Says it all :D

heartinrye
Dec. 26, 2009, 03:02 PM
well what do you want to know about one vs. another because they are very, very different

MHM
Dec. 26, 2009, 03:06 PM
Critical difference to me- WEF is much warmer!

Lucassb
Dec. 26, 2009, 03:30 PM
It's true - if you are looking for warmer weather, WEF beats Ocala hands down. It's been several years since I did Ocala but my main memories of that circuit are RAIN, RAIN and more RAIN... and it was cold!!! We've done WEF for a few years now and I much prefer it.

WEF is larger and I would say that while the top horses at Ocala would be competitive anywhere, there is more depth at WEF. Ocala is more like a regular HITS show, IMO. WEF is more of a spectacle. Lots more vendors, etc.

heartinrye
Dec. 26, 2009, 03:36 PM
Very true, and HITS is 'accessible' to more people, meaning that there are a lot more unrated divisions that an adult re-rider could do (and be successful) or a younger kid who isn't ready to do the greens or regular ponies yet. The divisions (on the most part) are smaller, and in my experience less competitive at HITS.

Tegan
Dec. 26, 2009, 04:37 PM
WEF definitely has fancier horses and is much more competitive. Showing at WEF, its normal to have 70-100 horses in each class. Ocala is still large, but you might have 30 horses.

Ocala weather can be wet and cold. I remember lots of golf carts getting stuck in the mud. I also know that HITS Ocala has turnout paddocks you can rent... not sure about Wellington.

WEF is probably a nicer showgrounds, better footing and more rings. Footing at Ocala has been off and on when I was showing... I remember one year the whole barn was lame because it was just so hard. Not sure about how it has been recently though.

There are nice vendors at both places, but WEF is going to have more expensive stuff and a larger variety.

terryallenf
Dec. 26, 2009, 04:44 PM
what showing facility would be more realistic to a kid that shows in The Childrens hunter under 14 and the Eq 12-13 and all the 3ft medals?

Tegan
Dec. 26, 2009, 04:47 PM
^^ HITS

They have (or used to) the Mini Medal, Mini HITS, and tons of 3' medals. You wouldn't be able to do them all, there are enough classes that you may need to choose to focus either on hunters or on eq.

heartinrye
Dec. 26, 2009, 05:21 PM
Definetley HITS.

WEF has childrens hunters and maybe (2) 3' medals, you'd be better off at HITS where there is more variety.

Parker_Rider
Dec. 26, 2009, 10:21 PM
I loved Ocala.. however, it rained the first day I went the second year, I bought a super nice (expensive!) Rambo rain coat... hot and fabulous the rest of the two weeks we were there. Go figure. The footing is pretty good in the jumper rings and the gate crew is pretty fabulous (unless you catch Kiwi on a bad day, or make him wait, and then watch out!) :)

However... WEF is someplace I desperately want to go.. PLUS if you go to WEF, you can support JustWorld International!!! Their annual fundraising dinner, which rumor has it is going to be AMAZING, is on the 23rd in Wellington - Fiesta themed, how can you top that? - and numerous other events are going on through the circuit.

There are fabulous competition and course designs at both places (or at least, so I hear about WEF ;)) but the price tags are different, and the competition at WEF is a bit bigger. Both would, I'm sure, be a brilliant experience!

FrenchFrytheEqHorse
Dec. 27, 2009, 12:03 AM
The last time I was in Ocala was 2004, so it's been a while. But it was cold. And it rained. A lot. My horse had almost no coat, and it was a toss up regarding whether we'd clip him before he went down, just so he'd look like all the other clipped horses. We opted not to, mostly because we were lazy. It was the best decision ever- it was SO COLD. There were a few hours of "kind of" warmth in the afternoons, but mornings and evenings were pretty bad.

I've never been to WEF ($$$$) other than in a spectator capacity, but if money is no object, I hear it's a better experience, hands down. It will cost a ton more, but it's also HUGE, and definitely WAYYYY warmer. That being said, you also need a very competitive horse to do well, even in the 3' divisions, so if that's important to you, it might be a consideration. HUGE divisions with TONS of beautiful, perfectly turned out horses.

MHM
Dec. 27, 2009, 12:41 AM
I have to point out that the numbers at WEF are not what they used to be 5-10 years ago. In 2009, at least, the numbers were not huge in many hunter divisions. There were certainly some nice horses, but the divisions were not as big. And any hunter division with more than 50 entries would be split anyway.

RyuEquestrian
Dec. 27, 2009, 06:43 AM
We moved from NYC to Gainesville, FL just to be near the HITS Ocala and Jacksonville winter circuits. We've found that there is something for everyone from our young jumpers/hunters/equitation horses to our more seasoned show horses. Love Ocala!

sweetpea
Dec. 27, 2009, 08:20 AM
Cold --- maybe a few days scattered here and there , but North Cold -- NO way!

I would say you need layers , cause usually by 11:00 you feel cozy warm.
Now granted I cannot compare WEF to HITS I donot have the $$$$$ .
The only reason I can Ocala is Family lives there and I keep my horse off grounds at a friends place.

Numbers - depending on what you do I have posted in the 50 -70 range .
But it will be interesting this year with both shows.

Footing- I thought I heard everyone grump about WEF last year????
Hits- They try to improve it and I love the former grand prix ring --- do I think the owner is a money ponkey,

Course Designers - Are awesome at Hits

Competitors -- Well I can list several that do Ocala that do awesome at indoors, but then again truth is that allow riders like me to show too!!!!

WHen I imagine WEF it seems glamourous
Not realistic for my checking account, I feel it is for more affluent people.

I have no regrets that I can't go there, it is just important that all talent have a chance . It also depends on what you are used to.

Gosh Golly I remeber 6 or 7 years ago I would sit up at the warm-up ring on Mon and Tuesday and watch with my puppie for 2-4 hrs grand prix riders school their horses.. I thought wow , what it must be like to come down here in the winter and do this!!! ANd now I do --- Ya hooooooooooo!
I will say I sure do miss the Millar Family and Erynn Ballard riding at hits!!!
Ian was sooooooo awesome.

Would love to visit WEF but never have the time.

AppendixQHLover
Dec. 27, 2009, 08:35 AM
We just got back from the Ocala area and it was COLD.

If I had the choice between the two, WEF would be my first choice. I don't have the horse, funds or vacation time to do either now.

Keep1Belle
Dec. 27, 2009, 09:50 AM
WEFis where I'd go with a great horse who I thought I would do well showing.

Ocala is where I would go wih my good horses to continue to train during the winter, do well, and be on point in time for the summer shows.

Money wise Ocala is obviously more doable and it just seems more training oriented. I wouldnt want to show at WEF on a horse that I still needed to work the kinks out of or a rider that was not on top of their game. Its so expensive and seems more pressureful. Why not do a lower key, more economical Hits in that situation.

But if i ever am rolling in the dough and have an awesome horse Id go to WEF for a few weeks.

cantercutie
Dec. 27, 2009, 10:02 AM
I've always felt like HITS is more of a regular horse show while WEF is an experience in and of iself. In my opinion, anyway, even though the footing at WEF wasn't perfect last year, it was still about a zillion times better than any other horse show. I think WEF it amazing: it's beautiful, sunny, and generally amazing. Every Saturday night you get to go watch some incredible, World Class showjumping event. Also, in my experience, pretty much every horse/rider in a division at WEF can win at least at a smaller AA show. It's rare to see someone go in and just botch the whole thing and you can put in a freaking nice round (80s) and not get a ribbon or be close. Usually there are about 40 in all the big hunter divisions and the numbers in the jumper divisions vary, but for some reason I remember this from last year: Low Jrs - approx. 70, Medium Jrs. - 40, High Jrs. - 25.

TSWJB
Dec. 27, 2009, 10:34 AM
I've always felt like HITS is more of a regular horse show while WEF is an experience in and of iself.
I think WEF it amazing: it's beautiful, sunny, and generally amazing.
this says it all. when i showed in ocala one year it was pouring pouring pouring rain and cold. i had fun and i liked ocala but when i went to WEF the following year riding borrowed horses i thought it was such a neat experience. what i love about WEF is there are so many places to ride! there are so many neat bridle paths all around that are really fun to hack and view the gorgeous barns all around. there are some really nice houses. i like littlewood facilities where its just one endless ring that you can ride in. its huge the schooling rings that connect to the show rings and the rings at WEF are really pretty.
i was down at WEF a couple weeks ago and they are totally redoing the footing. there were stones where the rings are. so they will be adding footing soon i am sure. the footing at WEF was really neat too. it looks like pink bermuda sand with soft fibers in it.
i think the choice between the 2 would be what do you want out of showing in florida. if you want to win ribbons and be really competitive i think showing in ocala would be the right choice. but if you dont care as much about the ribbons and just want a wonderful showing experience i would choose WEF in a heartbeat. its amazing.
i am hoping that my young horse will progress in a year or two that i can take him to WEF. while i know its much more expensive and its much further for me to travel to, its really worth it! and as far as flying in from the north, WEF is so much easier. when you fly down for ocala, you have about 1.45 hours of driving, VS flying into west palm beach i think its about 15 minutes.

Ruby G. Weber
Dec. 27, 2009, 12:00 PM
The reality is they both have their place.

Ocala is a typical HITS show but is far more horse friendly than WEF.

WEF is becoming more and more exclusive. (Unless you have a farm or have access to one the riding area is very limited.)

Both venues offer low level classes.

The footing is becoming comparable.

No question it's warmer in South Florida.

Ray
Dec. 27, 2009, 12:32 PM
....Showing at WEF, its normal to have 70-100 horses in each class. .

umm... not lately

terryallenf
Dec. 27, 2009, 05:52 PM
thanks everyone!

NYCGIRL
Dec. 27, 2009, 08:27 PM
First of all, last year it did not rain once from x-mas time till mid march. Not to mention the footing is great. I think it is kind of funny that people think that is is not accessible to most. However, look at all the people who have posted on other threads about how they have figured out how to show at WEF on a budget. Also, many barns have empty stalls that you can rent with access to turn out and rings with in hacking distance of the show. I am not sure what the deal is with HITS but I love the fact that my horses can be in a real barn and not live at a show for months at a time. The footing is great and they do have some unrated divisions. Also, the airports is is about 20 mins away which is great for people who go back and forth all winter.

florida foxhunter
Dec. 27, 2009, 11:02 PM
I'm very happy at HITS/Ocala. It's not THAT cold........only a few weeks as fronts come through,......but not always. What I like is the "room"........the track that surrounds the rings is great for warming up, or riding...........and it's not nearly as far from tents to rings.......in general. Also, although you're 15 minutes from hotels or motels, there are many more available than in Wellington..WEF is a great place to visit,but Ocala is very friendly with plenty of space IMO.

MunchkinsMom
Dec. 27, 2009, 11:18 PM
I'm very happy at HITS/Ocala. It's not THAT cold........only a few weeks as fronts come through,......but not always. What I like is the "room"........the track that surrounds the rings is great for warming up, or riding...........and it's not nearly as far from tents to rings.......in general. Also, although you're 15 minutes from hotels or motels, there are many more available than in Wellington..WEF is a great place to visit,but Ocala is very friendly with plenty of space IMO.

Ditto. I live about 20 minutes from HITS, and love to go and watch. Yes, we get a few cold nights (and days if you think 60 degrees is cold), in fact, I will be blanketing my horses tomorrow night when it goes down to 30. I think HITS Ocala is more family and budget oriented, and they have redone the footing.

cantercutie
Dec. 28, 2009, 01:05 AM
I found this very interesting so did a little research. Also, I would like to say that both are great shows with stiff competition. WEF is my personal preference, but Ocala is also great and a nice place.

The racetrack at Ocala provides obvious riding area which is nice, and at WEF, the bridle paths through Grand Prix Village and between the North and South Grounds (which they put new footing on last year) are great for trail rides. Also, last year at WEF they devoted a large ring on the North Grounds (Ring 7 I think if was (?)) just to hacking and riding and there were several arenas open for ticketed schooling on the South Grounds. Thus, in my opinion, there are plenty of 'places to ride' at both. Also, there is are far more space at both of these than provided by any normal horse show.

I pulled up the prize lists on both just to compare pricing out of curiosity. Here's what I found.

Ocala:
Tent stall/week: $200
Division entry for Jr. Hunter section: $210
Division prize money for Jr. Hunter section: $1300
Class entry for High Jr. Jumpers: $65
Prize money/ High Jr. Jumper Class: $1000
$10,000 High Jr. Jumper Classic Entry: $350
Jumper nomination fee: $175

WEF:
Tent stall/week North: $225
Tent stall/week South:$175
Division entry for Jr. Hunter section: $275
Division Prize money for Jr. Hunter section: $2500
Class entry for High Jr. Jumpers: $75
Prize money/ High Jr. Jumper Class: $1500
$10,000 High Jr. Jumper Classic Entry: $315
Jumper nomination fee: $225

Just thought this was interesting. The way it looked to me: yes, WEF will cost more up front but there is far more prize money if you have a shot at the blue. A couple other interesting things I noted: you have to be 'invited' to have permanent stalls at Ocala ???, there are $10,000 classics each week at WEF in low/medium/high jr & ao jumpers while there are only two $10,000 classics during all of Ocala for the highs, Ocala seems to have more hunter classics. Can you tell there are way to many relative in the house? Haha.