PDA

View Full Version : Collection

Claire_T52z
Dec. 26, 2009, 04:40 AM
I've recently been having issues with my horse and her awful work ethic. We do the equitation therefore she needs to be up and in but she hates to do it. She will collect after a bit of persuasion but she will never carry herself. I lunge her in Side reins but she is still having issues. I checked to make sure that it wasn't me causing the problem, ruled that out. Now I'm stumped.
How can I get her to actually want to try??
If anyone has any suggestions they would be greatly appreciated.
Thanks so much!!

LowerSaxony_Jumper
Dec. 26, 2009, 06:21 AM
Hey,
the only thing I can say is : TRANSITIONS, TRANSITIONS, TRANSITIONS! As many as possible, between all the gaits, on every line. But make sure your horse is staying on the bit and you get her enough from behind.
Also working on diffrent grounds, like at a hill or in a little bit deeper sand. with the sand be careful that it is not too deep!!!
Also try to keep your moments of collection short and then go forward. If your horse doesn't collect well don't pressured her to much. She's supposed to enjoy working and she will probably not be able to work collected for ten minutes at least at the beginning. And even later after every thing you want to try riding in collection you can only do it shortly and the you have to g back to riding forward!
hope i could help you

meupatdoes
Dec. 26, 2009, 06:50 AM
I've recently been having issues with my horse and her awful work ethic. We do the equitation therefore she needs to be up and in but she hates to do it. She will collect after a bit of persuasion but she will never carry herself. I lunge her in Side reins but she is still having issues. I checked to make sure that it wasn't me causing the problem, ruled that out. Now I'm stumped.
How can I get her to actually want to try??
If anyone has any suggestions they would be greatly appreciated.
Thanks so much!!

If it hasn't been done in the last six months, have the fit of your saddle evaluated by an independent saddle fitting professional.

mvp
Dec. 26, 2009, 09:35 AM
I had one of these. He was a whiney b!tch. It didn't help that I wanted to make him my equitation b!tch, if you know what I mean by that.

You have two and a half separate problems

1) Making your mare strong enough to give you what you ask for. Anything you can do to strengthen her top line and hiney are good. You have this going on, it sounds like but....

2) Making your mare want to Man Up and Try. Does she do this with the fences? Does she do this with interesting things outside the ring? If so, it sounds like you and she have gotten into a rut where flat work is considered "boring" (by her at least) and a separate proposition from the rest of her job. If she is the "ask questions first, see if you can negotiate a better deal for yourself, jump second" kind of free-agent, then:

You might spend some time teaching her that she must try whatever you ask in any situation.

2.5) The Work Ethic-- the ability (if not willingness) to continue doing something she doesn't want to until you (not she) says Uncle.

Again, make this point working on something other than collection. It can be a long trail ride. It can be waiting in cross-ties.

Lower Saxony_Jumper is right. When you get to the collection issue, transitions are great. So is short but correct work in a short frame. When you have made her strong and have been doing this for awhile, see if you can ask her for collection until you feel her mentally give in and "accept her lot in life." That's the moment she earns a long rein and a chance to go forward and stretch down, or a walk.

Using this rather involved brain-washing program, I made my Girly gelding into a fine equitation soldier.

Claire_T52z
Dec. 26, 2009, 05:25 PM
No it hasn't been over a month that this issue has come up, and the saddle fits perfectly (we had it custom made, CWD) and their representative comes every once in a while to check that we don't need to change anything, re-stuff, etc.

Basically what you all said is what I had thought, but I just wanted second opinions just to make sure I'm not losing my mind.