PDA

View Full Version : Show Rec. or just stick to schooling?

Rescue_Rider9
Dec. 25, 2009, 11:37 PM
I want so bad to move up the levels in eventing, but for different reason I will probably only be able to make it to one or to recognized events before fall (which is when I plan to move my horse up to novice), but I could do about 4 schooling events if I didnt do any recognized events. I have no desire to compete for the chance of going to AEC's this year so is there any real reason why I should compete recognized at BN?

teddygirl
Dec. 26, 2009, 01:02 AM
I think it depends on the events in your area. I gave up on unrecognized events, even at BN, a while ago. Even the events that say they're run under USEA rules get a bit creative with how they do things. Someone had a thread about an unrecognized event a while ago that thought it was cute to put a rubber alligator in the ditch and her young horse reared and freaked out. Also, there are sometimes real issues with footing in my area. And I've seen BN stadium courses unrecognized that have 4 rollbacks and 2 bending lines at a name venue! Not sure what they were trying to prove, but it's sometimes a bit scary

Rescue_Rider9
Dec. 26, 2009, 01:09 AM
Makes me wonder what my horse would do if she saw a rubber alligator! haha
Thank you for replying

nextyear
Dec. 26, 2009, 07:22 AM
You need to come to Florida for the schooling events!
Both the Fl Horse Park and Rocking Horse run very friendly and positive events from tadpole through PT. Canterbury is going to start running one schooling trials in Feb. also.
No gators in the ditches and good straight forward show jump courses.

Ajierene
Dec. 26, 2009, 09:55 AM
I have a two schooling events near me that are run over the same course and same organizers as some recognized events. They are very professionally run. There is another unrecognized event that has been run for years that is very well run. Another one is decent that is in its fourth year.

I stick mostly to unrecognized due to financial reasons as well. I have not been to a show that has been poorly run or had courses or jumps that were significantly out of line with the level. I would pick them carefully, but if you can find some good unrecognized events in your area, I would suggest going.

ThirdCharm
Dec. 26, 2009, 11:01 AM
IF you have good quality unrecognized shows, that is the way to go unless you're trying to qualify, sell a horse, or sell yourself.

My five year old did, I think, ONE recognized show this last year (only b/c it is about forty minutes from my house), but we have done a BUNCH of schooling shows and she is very 'been there, done that' about the whole experience and has moved up nicely as a result. We've done two unrec. Training HTs and two CTs. Couldn't have afforded to put that much experience on her at recognized events!

Jennifer

eventer_mi
Dec. 26, 2009, 11:32 AM
Around here, the unrec. stuff shows over the same courses as the rec. stuff (mostly). So, I save my bucks and show unrec. most of the year. I refuse to show rec. unless I have a shot at the top 6. I know that sounds like I'm ribbon chasing, but if I can show the same course for 1/2 the price, why put out the big bucks to show rec. and go through all the bother of having to stable/trailer in for two days, when I can do it all in one and not have to pull out my show gear?

There is a lovely unrec. event about two hours away from my barn that I did last year. I had a great time, won my division, but got 10 time penalties for going too slow xc. EVERYBODY got time penalties. WHen I checked the optimum time, it showed as being wheeled at BN at 425 mpm. Novice was wheeled at 450. Wow. No wonder why everybody didn't make time! So, that's the kind of stuff you have to put up with at an unrec. show, but other than that slight glitch, it was worth it.

yellowbritches
Dec. 26, 2009, 05:51 PM
There have been lots of threads regarding unrec vs rec, so if you do a search, you'll get LOTS of opinions on the matter and all the reasons why. I prefer rec because I feel there's a very good reason (actually, many very good reasons) we pay more in entries. You've got to do what's best for you and your horse (and your checkbook). Don't feel pressured to compete in rec stuff if you don't want to or don't feel you have the funds, but do realize that there is a reason rec is stuff is recognized.

Rescue_Rider9
Dec. 26, 2009, 06:43 PM
THank you all for the replies! Very helpful!