PDA

View Full Version : I need tall boots for big calves!

SuperEventer
Dec. 25, 2009, 09:39 PM
Okay, thanks to my severly German genes...I am stuck with large calves. Doesn't matter how light I am, the calves don't change much. I am wanting some new, snazzy tall boots... I guess dress boots. I was given the Ariat Westchesters for Christmas, and, sadly, they are the tiniest bit too small.

I have been pointed toward the Sergio Grassos...which I know are lovely...but I'm not really in the market to spend that much $$! Any good ideas for NICER boots in bigger calf sizes that don't cost a fortune? I know, I know, I'm asking too much, I'm sure. haha

teddygirl
Dec. 25, 2009, 10:02 PM
I feel your pain! Try www.marylandsaddlery.com. Hope, the owner, designed some boots that are being made by one of the companies that fit larger calves. They're awesome, and I think they have a few price points, but nothing as expensive as the SG's. She saved my life with tall boots. Also, if you're eventing, you can use half chaps in recognized events as long as they're smooth leather, I've done that sometimes.

Good luck!

SuperEventer
Dec. 26, 2009, 09:47 AM
Thanks!

I have Mountain Horse tall boots, but I'm "trying" to be a pro, and my trainer is not down with them. haha She's a stickler for looking the part. I'm trying to find something that is elegant without costing a ton. I'll check into Maryland Saddlery!

jn4jenny
Dec. 26, 2009, 09:56 AM
You are not alone! Try searching the forum for "boots large cal*" and you'll turn up a number of threads on this topic.

I have a 16" calf and love my $250 Treadstones that I paid $90 for on Ebay. Have discussed them on many of the large-calf boot threads, so I won't repeat my comments here except to say "they don't look or feel like $250 boots." Sadly (fortunately?) I'm losing weight, so I may have to have them taken in.
http://i176.photobucket.com/albums/w197/jn4jenny/boots.jpg

scubed
Dec. 26, 2009, 04:59 PM
It may not be an option for you, but zippers and gussets. My calves are very large in comparison to my foot and ankle and this combination has been a life saver for me. I also find the ariat wide calf with zippers works great even without a gusset.

badawg
Dec. 26, 2009, 05:31 PM
I have a 17.5" calf-Ovation is the only boot I've found that goes to that size! And the quality is lovely! My only complaint is that they aren't tall enough! But, the leather is lovely, takes a nice shine and has taken a beating. Check Equestrian Collections in their 1824 collection.

shawneeAcres
Dec. 26, 2009, 05:37 PM
I bought the largest calf size in the ariats with zippers and the tallest (since I am almost 6 ft) that I could get for my size 11 foot! As they have spanish tops they worked, even though the widest calf size does not come in their tallest option. I too have HUGE german legs!!!

SuperEventer
Dec. 26, 2009, 05:42 PM
Unfortunately, the boots I just tried were the new Ariat Westchesters with zipper and gusset...still didn't work. I was hoping since I'd just lost a bunch of weight (my other tall boots are way too big now) that they'd fit. No such luck.

nature
Dec. 27, 2009, 10:39 PM
http://www.equestriancollections.com/product.asp?groupcode=ER90030

RachelJones
Feb. 15, 2010, 08:28 AM
My "HUGE german legs" had trouble fitting into boots. I've tried a few companies for special fitted boots and they all seem pretty good. Last place I found a bargain was in the boots sale (http://www.duoboots.com/products/sale/) at Duo..

Rach x

fatorangehorse
Feb. 15, 2010, 08:40 AM
do you have a good boot / shoe repair shop near you? I have a guy near me who has worked wonders in all sorts of circumstances for me and my riding friends. There may be a way to adapt the Ariat's you already have.

GotSpots
Feb. 15, 2010, 10:28 AM
I also wouldn't discount the Mountain Horse boots quite so fast. I know a number of pros who wear them at all levels of competition and look great. They make both their original, fairly blocky boot, but have also come out with a better looking, more polished boot that is more than fancy enough for just about anywhere. My coach wore them at Rolex, so that's big name enough for me, plus they are super comfortable.

ManyDogs
Feb. 15, 2010, 10:50 AM
Oh, so I can blame my calves on my German ancestors? How about my stubborness?
I have very short legs so that makes boot shopping even more fun.
In my next life I am coming back 5'10" with long legs and platinum blonde hair. Can't wait.

La Chasse
Feb. 15, 2010, 11:15 AM
I too have this prob and I almost died of laughter when the salesperson at the tack store said my large calves were "all muscle." Um, not quite, but thanks!
I sucked it up and bought the Sergio's and LOVE them. I also have a pair of ariat field boots w/an elastic gusset which works well that I bought at M'burg Tack Exchange, brand spanking new. My ankles are teeny (no cankles here) and finding a boot that fits w/o my ankles swimming is the most challenging thing, thus, why I love my sergio's. A long time ago, I had effinghams & they fit well over my calf.

Oldenburg99
Feb. 15, 2010, 11:57 AM
I peeked over in this thread when I saw the title, even though I'm from the *gasp* hunter side. I am soooo glad I am not alone in this search. I recently found a pair of field boots on ebay for my large calfs. Its definitely worth looking on there, people who have custom boots and no longer ride will list them on there sometimes for rock bottom prices. Or like mine, a closeout deal from a retail store who probably couldn't find somebody with a body as oddly shaped as mine to sell the boots to! lol They were brand new and only $50! Good Luck in your search!

missamandarose
Feb. 15, 2010, 03:18 PM
My calves are a little more than 16 inches, and I have the Mountain Horse Richmond High Riders in a wide calf and LOVE them. Lots of pros do wear them (their website lists K O'C, Corinne Ashton and John Williams, among others) so I wouldn't say that the MH boots don't convey a "professional look".

And a more comfortable footbed you will not find!

kookicat
Feb. 15, 2010, 03:31 PM
My calves are a little more than 16 inches, and I have the Mountain Horse Richmond High Riders in a wide calf and LOVE them. Lots of pros do wear them (their website lists K O'C, Corinne Ashton and John Williams, among others) so I wouldn't say that the MH boots don't convey a "professional look".

And a more comfortable footbed you will not find!

This. :)

Zephyr
Feb. 15, 2010, 04:58 PM
This company has been touting their extra-wide-calf tall boots:

http://www.equitector-usa.com/ridingboots.cfm

I believe they made a custom pair for a 24" calf!

Vesper Sparrow
Feb. 15, 2010, 05:57 PM
I have the Equitectors mentioned above. Very comfortable. Mine are on their fourth year, with one zipper replacement, and I wear them every day.

kgro632
Feb. 15, 2010, 07:57 PM
What about Treadstone?

http://prostores1.megawebservers.com/wayfarerfarm_net/Detail.bok?no=142

I just ordered a pair of the French Calf Field boots because they got rave reviews, I would imagine the Dress boot is just as good?

SuperEventer
Feb. 16, 2010, 09:04 AM
Thank you all for your help! I love my MH field boots, and I've decided to keep those for jumping. I tried the dress boot version, and I didn't like those as much. HOwever, I REALLY like the look of the Treadstone, so I may just try those!