PDA

View Full Version : If I were in find myself in Aiken..

Hey Mickey
Dec. 25, 2009, 09:28 PM
So, there is a small chance that I could possibly maybe be able to go to Aiken for my spring break, at the beginning of March.
This is a big Maybe. If I can get the money together, find a way for my horse to get there, etc.

I would need a place to keep my horse. (apparently my dad's wife's sister lives there, so I can stay at her house)
I also would like to go XC schooling, get a couple lessons from someone (or multiple people) and do a HT (there is on wednesday and the last weekend of spring break in Aiken).

Any info would be great! I've never been able to do anything like this before.

GPD123
Dec. 25, 2009, 10:09 PM
Kim Severson teaches in Aiken, Feb to end of March, and I think Full Gallop is open to boarders... not sure though

RunForIt
Dec. 25, 2009, 10:22 PM
Only my HORSE gets to go, and he has a room, I just get to go on weekends or days off during the week...but, I think different trainers have all kinds of options you can take...ex.: Sally Cousins' website offers $15/day paddock you take care of the horse...if you luck into good weather, this would be a great option...GOOD LUCK!!!! I'm hoping to get to do some very long weekends while Rasta is at Lellie Ward's Paradise Farm for training in January/early February and maybe, just maybe get to go for an entire week when school is out for winter break in mid-February...:cool:

Ruperman
Dec. 25, 2009, 11:49 PM
Definitely try and take come lessons with Lellie. I absolutely love her! Full Gallop has some openings for boarding, but you take care of your horse. Stephen Bradley is there also at that time so if you wanted to ride with him at Full Gallop then you would be on grounds and already in Aiken. Both Paradise and Full Gallop have great xc courses. I board/train with Lellie, so I'm literally already in that area if you need help with trailering around the area for shows/lessons. You can PM me if you like. Hope that helps.

olympicdreams04
Dec. 26, 2009, 02:30 PM
If you were to find yourself in Aiken....assume you got off of 95 or 75 too soon and turn around and head back to FL! I spent my one and only year there last year and you could not drag my frozen, lifeless body back. But seriously, check w/Full Gallop about stalls/paddocks. Try to ride with Hatchaway Hounds if you can. Stephen Bradley winters there and is superb and affordable for lessons. PM me for contact info for all of the above. Good luck!

glfprncs
Dec. 26, 2009, 07:53 PM
Go. See. Lellie. End of story...she's fabulous.

Canadian
Dec. 26, 2009, 08:34 PM
Kristin Schmloze is going down the beginning of January and is at Sporting Days Fartm.....she is fantastic!

Hey Mickey
Dec. 27, 2009, 12:04 AM
Thank you everyone!!
I'm defintaly going try and make this happen.

How much should I try and budget for?
I don't nessacerily need a lesson everyday, or a coach at a HT. We would probaly bounce around at training level. (we are very expieranced at training)
My horse should be fairly fit. We were T3D fit in october, and I think this next week I'm going to start putting him on the tredmill.

I would like a stall for Mickey, if there is turnout available... but if there is no turnout then I would defintaly try to get a paddock.

I think depending on what is going on in school before spring break I would be down there from 10-13 days.

Sorry for any misspelled words... the automatic spellcheck is turned off and I don't know how to turn it back on.

Smufy3DE
Dec. 28, 2009, 01:05 PM
There are tons of places in Aiken. Do you have a trailer? If you don't have a trailer, you will probably want to board somewhere where they have a cross country course.

Already said:
Full Gallop
Paradise
Sporting Days
Jumping Branch.

Usually its around $300 for a dry stall. Can you do your own chores, cause that will be a big issue.

If you have a trailer to get you to lessons/schoolings, there are a TON of other barns in the area too for a little cheaper.

Bonnie Mosser also is down for Jan-March and is a blast. HIGHLY RECOMMEND HER!! And the farm is literally the most amazing place you will ever see...

Hope it works out! I am also in Columbia so if you want names, I have a ton. GOOD LUCK!

retreadeventer
Dec. 28, 2009, 01:56 PM
I'll add another "highly recommend" trainer, who is going down there this week, and will be there for three months - Mogie Bearden-Muller. She will be renting an entire farm and may have room for a horse at the time you intend on making it, and you'll have fun, not be under any pressure to do anything you don't want, will learn, learn, and find yourself extremely ready to do whatever it is you want to do at the end of your time there! Reasonable, extremely knowledgeable and fun to ride with, and is not at all worried about taking on a new student at the drop of a hat. Or find yourself a spot for your pony at one of the usual haunts and trailer in for lessons or meet for schooling. I can provide more info by PM.

flightinstructor
Dec. 28, 2009, 04:20 PM
..ex.: Sally Cousins' website offers $15/day paddock you take care of the horse...if you luck into good weather, this would be a great option...

You get a stall too for the $15/day at Sally's. You take care of the feed, bedding, hay, etc. You then just pay for any lessons, coaching, trailering, etc that you need. $400 per week will get you full care, 4 lessons, shipping to schoolings/events, and coaching at events. Either way, a week at Sally's is great. Very laid back and friendly but you learn a lot. I wish I could afford to go every year.

mcw
Dec. 28, 2009, 08:25 PM
I highly recommend riding with Simon Eades. He is there year round and is wonderful! Can't say enough good things.

eventr4life
Dec. 28, 2009, 09:21 PM
Not sure if someone already said this but what about a working student position?

chancellor2
Dec. 30, 2009, 04:16 PM
Corinne Ashton will be in Aiken and may well have a place for your horse too. Contact her through her website
www.corinneashton.com

Hey Mickey
Dec. 30, 2009, 07:24 PM
Thank you everyone!!

I guess I need to get on figuring out how much lessons are going to cost me from all of these awesome people.
You would think they would say on their website how much a lesson is...
(ok, so I've only tried to look up Bonnie Mossier, Kim Severson, and a couple other people)

My friend has a horse trailer. and she said her mom has friends in Georgia, who live close to Aiken... and they have horses. So our boys could possibly stay at their place. and then we can haul to where ever we need to go.

What is the terrain and footing like?
Would you recommend having my horse tapped and drilled? (he's really sure footed and I only put studs in now, if we're running prelim, or if the ground is really really hard, or sloppy)