PDA

View Full Version : Engel Half Pads - Sizing

Clever Pony
Dec. 25, 2009, 05:10 PM
I've always heard such great things about Engel half pads and am thinking of purchasing one. I found a great deal on one that is size small. How big of a saddle would that fit? I have a Crosby Centennial that is either 16" or 16.5" (I'd need to measure to actually remember). Would the small size work for my saddle?

rockfordbuckeye
Dec. 25, 2009, 07:12 PM
I have a size M Engle pad and use a 16.5" saddle. It was too big until I washed it and then it shrunk quite a bit and fit just right. So, I'd be careful! What you see is not what you get if you wash it!

jn4jenny
Dec. 25, 2009, 07:40 PM
I have a size M Engle pad and use a 16.5" saddle. It was too big until I washed it and then it shrunk quite a bit and fit just right. So, I'd be careful! What you see is not what you get if you wash it!

Mine hasn't shrunk at all, but I wash it in gentle cycle with cold water and I air-dry it.

rockfordbuckeye
Dec. 25, 2009, 08:08 PM
yeah i put mine in the dyer - intentionally b/c it was too big before that! so maybe if you don't...?

Rio Wild
Dec. 28, 2009, 12:07 PM
rockfordbuckeye,

How did you wash/dry yours to shrink it? Regular Tide? Or Woolite? Did it damage the sheepskin? I got a size large for my 17.5" saddle, and I love it, but it is a little too big.

Thanks for the help.

To the OP, I think they tend to run a little big.

BAC
Dec. 28, 2009, 01:04 PM
rockfordbuckeye,

How did you wash/dry yours to shrink it? Regular Tide? Or Woolite? Did it damage the sheepskin? I got a size large for my 17.5" saddle, and I love it, but it is a little too big.

To be safe you should always wash sheepskin in a product especially meant for it (Melp, Pepede, Leather Therapy Wash) on a gentle cycle with cold water. Dryer heat is not good for the hide, better to buy the correct size in the beginning. If you're unlucky the dryer could shrink it too much and you would be left with a useless pad.

rockfordbuckeye
Dec. 28, 2009, 07:16 PM
I washed it by itself in a steam washer with woolite on the delicate cycle. I dried it on "medium" until mostly dry and then let it air dry. It did take a long time to dry because so dense/heavy!

Washing definitely changed the texture of the sheepskin vs. when it was brand new (when new, sheepskin it kind of long haired and stuffed-animal-y looking. Now it is shorter and denser). I actually quite like it better because it's denser now and fits my saddle better so I'm really getting more lift off the back of my saddle. Before it stuck out about 2" from the back of my saddle so it really didn't give me the "riser" effect in the back I wanted/needed off my horses back.

Sparky Boy
Dec. 30, 2009, 10:19 AM
So for a 17" saddle, would I get a medium?

Rio Wild
Dec. 30, 2009, 12:56 PM
Sparky Boy, yes, for a 17" I would get a medium. My saddle is a 17 1/2, but not a huge one, and a large is too big.

Sparky Boy
Dec. 30, 2009, 01:02 PM
Great thanks. I ordered a medium.

Sparky Boy
Jan. 7, 2010, 10:48 PM
Got the pad today. Really impressed with this pad for the price. Thanks to whoever recommended this on COTH.

McVillesMom
Jan. 7, 2010, 11:13 PM
Huh. I ordered mine on the 26th of December and it still says "processing". I emailed them today to find out what's going on...I wonder why it's taking so long?

Rio Wild
Jan. 8, 2010, 09:45 AM
I've been riding in mine for a month now and still love it. Since it was a gift and I couldn't exchange it for a smaller size I did end up following rockfordbuckeye's washing directions to try to shrink it a bit. I washed it in cold water on the gentle cycle with woolite, then dried on low heat for about 20 minutes, then removed and let it air dry. It worked and now it fits perfectly! Now that it fits I will only wash with Melp or something similar and air dry. Great saddle pad!

Sparky Boy
Jan. 8, 2010, 10:20 AM
Huh. I ordered mine on the 26th of December and it still says "processing". I emailed them today to find out what's going on...I wonder why it's taking so long?

I ordered mine Dec. 30th. I emailed them the other day to see where it was. They emailed a tracking number yesterday and it appeared at my door yesterday as well.