PDA

View Full Version : Show Bridles

Whimsically Smart
Dec. 25, 2009, 01:28 PM
So my parents are being very generous and giving me up to $300 to spend on a show bridle for my new horse. He needs an oversized bridle.. and looks good with a thicker (padded) bridle (he's a big boy). I have no idea what brand I want or where to get it (looking online)... as I've never shopped for a nice bridle before. We do mostly hunters/equitation and our main focus will be the CET Medal (Jumper Medal for those that don't know) this year. So, what would be a good choice? :)

This is him :) Head Shot (http://www.facebook.com/photo.php?pid=2360037&l=b0937235e5&id=514509555)

sansibar
Dec. 25, 2009, 11:11 PM
Vespucci :) those are really nice! I think they are like $299 but I cant remember lol Excelle also makes nice bridles i think that they are around that price point. Aramas also has really nice bridles I think again they are in that price point.

:)

Sulta
Dec. 26, 2009, 07:26 AM
Check out ebay - just got a brand new Vespucci fancy stitched hunter bridle for $200. A seller up there has closeouts of highend tack and had a number of different styles of Vespucci.

Lucassb
Dec. 26, 2009, 10:54 AM
Your (very cute) horse has a long but quite refined face, just like mine does!

I have a fairly extensive collection of very high end bridles but the one that is my favorite was actually the least expensive - it is a wide raised (but unpadded) Aramas. I showed in it all last year and can't tell you how many compliments I got!!

I was absolutely floored at the quality of the leather for the price - it is comparable to my Hadfields, Edgewood and Jimmy's bridles and I prefer to show in this one.

Here is a pic for you.

spmoonie
Dec. 26, 2009, 01:54 PM
Check www.premiertackoutlet.com

She always has a wide selection of high end bridles for really good prices. :)

huntereq7
Dec. 27, 2009, 02:46 PM
I really like the Aramas bridles as well- I think the wide noseband would look great on your horse!

SquishTheBunny
Dec. 27, 2009, 03:52 PM
Vespucci's are wastes of money in my opinion. They dont fit very well and in hot weather the glue (not stitching) that holds them together softens and stretches or leaks. The leather seemed ok, but didnt take to oil well and overall was not a great investment. The Greenhawk line (Mondega) are much cheaper and a better quality than Vespucci.

I really like edgewoods - you could get a headstall without reins, or look on ebay for both. The Aramas are excellent for the price as well.

Invite
Dec. 27, 2009, 04:12 PM
Not sure about the price, but I have an Arc De Triomphe and it is gorgeous. I have had it for 10 years and I really beat on it. I used it foxhunting in horrible weather. When I clean it, the bridle looks new. Excellent quality!

superpony123
Dec. 27, 2009, 04:38 PM
Ive always been a fan of beval bridles.

however, i just spent less money on a smartpak bridle and i think i like this bridle A LOT more than my super-expensive beval bridle! :eek: (this is a $100 bridle vs a $400 bridle. the beval is the 400, the smartpak is the 100.) funny, right?

anywho, the bridle i have now is a smartpak harwich. you should buy it in a regular horse size, because their bridles run pretty huge. i am using a cob size on a small warmblood! (just to give you the idea)

i also like hadfields, and edgewoods

use the rest of the money to buy some other fun horse item :D

SkipChange
Dec. 27, 2009, 05:35 PM
Lots of good brands have been mentioned. I'm not a huge Vespucci fan but they're not terrible.

My show bridle is a Beval Gladstone (i think) $300 but I got it half price. Lovely fancy stitching and padded. Matches my Beval saddle quite nicely and oiled to a rich, dark brown. Very easy to clean and takes oil beautifully.

I also have an old Showmark bridle (no padding) that is a lovely, dark brown and looks sharp. The leather is a dirt magnet for some reason and is very difficult to keep clean.

***On a side note, what is the grey coat you are wearing? I'm sorta looking for a new coat and like the way that one looks.

Lazy-Pony
Dec. 27, 2009, 05:45 PM
I've always had ADT bridles and I adore them.
One I've had for a decade and with regular care and conditioning, it still looks great! :)

Whimsically Smart
Dec. 28, 2009, 09:54 AM
Thanks for the replies everyone!

SkipChange- both of my show coats are Grand Prixs, got them for $100 each last year as they were the year before's styles :) Regularily $400 each! They are both extremely nice though, definitely would be worth the $400.

SkipChange
Dec. 28, 2009, 12:27 PM
Where did you find them on sale like that!?
I have 2 Grand Prix coats right now that I love but am looking for different style/color than my current ones.

BAC
Dec. 28, 2009, 12:59 PM
Ive always been a fan of beval bridles.

however, i just spent less money on a smartpak bridle and i think i like this bridle A LOT more than my super-expensive beval bridle! :eek: (this is a $100 bridle vs a $400 bridle. the beval is the 400, the smartpak is the 100.) funny, right? :D

I don't think Beval's bridles are of the same quality as they used to be, so its not at all surprising.

I have seen the Aramas bridles and they are really nice and so reasonably priced.

Tegan
Dec. 28, 2009, 02:07 PM
I couldn't resist buying an Arc de Triomphe for my mare... it was on sale! I don't remember how much I saved, but it was a good deal.

I like the bridle so far. I would recommend looking around tack shops and seeing what is on sale though... I bought a Vespucci jumper bridle for about $100 a few years ago.

Tha Ridge
Dec. 28, 2009, 02:09 PM
I love both the Pessoa and SmartPak wide noseband bridles.

BAC
Dec. 28, 2009, 03:13 PM
A friend just received one of their bridles as a Christmas gift for her new horse and it is very handsome, beautiful leather and details and within your budget. Plus they are currently offering 20%, off according to their website, this might be a good opportunity so why not check them out (www.fivestartack.com (http://www.fivestartack.com)).

Invite
Dec. 28, 2009, 05:20 PM
I gave SmartPak all the measurements of my mare's head. She is an Oversize in SmartPak bridles. The OS fits her perfectly. My little girl is more like a big girl with a manly head :(

Whimsically Smart
Dec. 28, 2009, 08:26 PM
I found them at Olson's in Washington (turned out to be more expensive for me because I'm Canadian.. but still a good deal!) It was this time last year... maybe check their website?