PDA

View Full Version : Barns with Cross Country Course in Southern Wisconsin?

Keg-A-Bacchus
Dec. 25, 2009, 10:42 AM
Hey guys! I'm looking for the impossible. A nice boarding facility with fun-loving awesome people, pasture board, a great classical FEI level dressage trainer and within an hour of Milwaukee :) I know...the impossible! I found a great dressage trainer I can haul to if needed, but still need a barn with a cross country course for my regular boarding. Anyone have a great barn you've been at or are at? I'm open to just about anywhere if I can get there in an hour! Merry Christmas everyone!

lstevenson
Dec. 25, 2009, 03:27 PM
The only one I know of is Silverwood farm if it is even still there. They had x-c through training level. I think it's in the Racine/Kenosha area.

Threeday33
Dec. 25, 2009, 07:54 PM
Silverwood is still there. They would be a good one to look in to. www.silverwoodfarm.net. Also, try www.brightangelranch.net. I think Nicole has pasture board and she has a good xc schooling course with hilly terrain. It is a bit farther away in Cambellsport, WI. Good luck!
Chrissy

clm08
Dec. 25, 2009, 11:42 PM
Try Geneva Equestrian in Lake Geneva, an eventers' barn. www.genevaequestrian.com

Crzy4Mares
Dec. 26, 2009, 10:40 AM
I believe Jenna Strauss at Heritage Stables in Oconomowoc has a XC course. I have not been there, but worth looking into.

May I ask which dressage trainer you are using?

eventerwannabe
Dec. 26, 2009, 10:43 AM
Hey there!!! Willow Run in Mequon has XC jumps and a dressage trainer. I'm not sure if they do any pasture board though. I went up and checked it out about a month ago and was very impressed with the set up and the people. Barb and I are planning on taking lessons there starting in the new year. Here's the website:
http://www.wreventing.com/

Hope you'll be able to come out with us next year!!!!!

Deby

P.S. We went to Geneva Equestrian's mini event in Oct. and they do have a nice XC course. Nice people too:)

Robin@DHH
Dec. 26, 2009, 12:12 PM
Gee, I am amazed to read that there are not more cross
country courses in Eastern Wisconsin. Over here in the
western part of Wisconsin there are a fair number. In my
county I can think of three courses and just heard from
someone who is going to be building a fourth this next
year. Then there are two more in the next county
including the recognized Otter Creek. Are we western
Wisconsinites just odd that we spend our time building
cross country courses or is there something else to it?

Threeday33
Dec. 26, 2009, 12:28 PM
I think some of it might be because we can go to Barrington or Wayne and school more than we could ever build on a property here. It is a bit far, but worth it.

Thanks for the recommendation, Deby!

Chrissy

eventerwannabe
Dec. 26, 2009, 02:38 PM
Chrissy....No problem! How's the new barn coming along? Almost done??

Threeday33
Dec. 26, 2009, 06:22 PM
Amazingly, yes...almost done! I didn't think we'd be in there until Spring, but they are going to be finished on schedule thanks to the good weather in November! The front grass pastures won't be fenced completely yet, but the dry lots, back grass pasture, and barn/indoor will be. Those front grass pastures will need to rest a while anyway if we want good grass, so it is okay if they aren't finished. Anyway, thanks for asking-hope you are doing well!!!
Chrissy

Keg-A-Bacchus
Dec. 26, 2009, 10:55 PM
Thanks everyone (and HI DEB! :D)! I put in a call to Silverwood and am still waiting to hear back if the do pasture board. Chrissy, I was going to take a drive up to look at your place...someone sent me a message about it. You seem to have a lot of high recommendations and I know I've seen you riding at events and was very impressed. I bought a pony from your facility 3 or 4 years ago (Shadow, the 14hh gray draft pony mare!) and loved the facility. I didn't realize you had a cross country course! Do you do pasture board? My guy gets allergy issues in a stall so he needs 24/7 turnout. I'd love to hear more! And I'd love to train with Deb and Barb...perhaps even just to haul up for a lesson with them! I'm so excited to get into a training program this year and finally get serious about my riding again! Now, if only my dang pony will cooperate and stay healthy this year! LOL

Gry2Yng
Dec. 27, 2009, 09:52 AM
FWIW, Silverwood has a xc course but there is no jumping in the winter (there is one small exception to this that would not apply to a new boarder). Even jumping in the summer is very restricted. They consider themselves a dressage barn.

sixpoundfarm
Dec. 27, 2009, 11:00 AM
Pretty sure Geneva Equestrian has pasture boarding, and they also have an XC course and are continually improving the property. I believe that they also offer frequent clinics with Brad Hall.

Threeday33
Dec. 27, 2009, 11:05 AM
I love Shadow! What happened to her? Funny, we were just talking about her the other day (in reference to putting 3 people on her bareback, actually!)

You would be welcome to come up and see the place I teach out of anytime. You would also be welcome to trailer in for lessons if you find a different place to board. Willow Run has a schooling course (bank with various options, water, and many portable logs/fences). Unfortunately, the people that owned the rest of the course (including the ditch) recently moved and I'm not sure if the new owners will be allowing us to ride on their property. That is still to be determined! We have a lot of places to hack out and trot, but not a lot of xc schooling land at the moment. Even if we can't get permission to use their land, we can still get some good productive schooling in with lower level horses and riders. And, we trailer out fairly often to school (usually Nicole's in Cambellsport, Silverwood, Wayne, or Barrington). I'm not sure if Kate would do 24/7 turnout or not. There are 2 paddocks with an overhang/run in shed, so possibly. You would have to call or email her (PM me if you want that info).

Thanks!
Chrissy