PDA

View Full Version : Starting a new job in the new year

Bopper
Dec. 24, 2009, 10:57 PM
I have worked at the same place for fifteen years but recently I was offered a position in the same field at a different place. The new position offers opportunities for advancement that my current job does not. I am just nervous about starting over. I know almost EVERYONE where I work now but recent changes in management have lead me to know that it is time to move on.

Any suggestions about :

a. handling the last week at my old job - I am concerned about crying at my going away party, and as I say goodbye to friends

b. handling the new job. Any pointers? I worked my way up to where I am now but it is sad to say that I will be starting at a "lateral position" same "level with the new agency which will be a lot lower in the over all totem pole.

Thanks in advance for any advice.

Bopper

SkipHiLad4me
Dec. 24, 2009, 11:20 PM
Congrats on your new job! I suspect I will be in a similar position as I'm in the process of submitting the necessary paperwork needed to get an official offer on a new job. I've been in my current job for much less time than you - 5.5 yrs - but I can understand where you're coming from. I'm going to be working in a completely different field and starting out as the low man on the totem pole again.

I intend to leave on as good a terms a possible with my current job so as not to hurt any feelings or burn any bridges. I might need to come back. :lol: But it's going to be hard not to be sad when you've worked around those people for so long.

As far as learning the ropes at the new place, just be patient! It took a while to figure everything out at your current job and will take a while to learn the ropes at your new job. So just be open minded and try to take things as they come :yes: Good luck!