PDA

View Full Version : Good Quick Meals and/or Healthy Meal Ideas

knightrider
Dec. 24, 2009, 09:50 PM
Any recipes for quick dinners ? And / or ideas for yummy healthy dinners/lunches or breakfasts?

2DogsFarm
Dec. 25, 2009, 09:37 AM
I use whole wheat tortillas for a Pizza Fix.

Spray one side of tortilla with cooking spray and place sprayed-side down on a cookie sheet.
Top with your fave pizza toppings & bake at 375 until the cheese is melted.
Since I usually do not have canned pizza sauce I use a tablespoon of tomato paste (per pizza) sauteed with a little olive oil, garlic and herbs - oregano, basil - and another tablespoon or two of water or red wine.
If too thin let it cook down, if too thick add more water/wine.

Or you can do a white pizza, leave off the tomato sauce and just drizzle toppings with a little olive oil.

For toppings I've used:
-shrimp (frozen pre-cooked, thawed and cut in half lengthwise)
-sauteed ground turkey seasoned with oregano & garlic
-turkey Italian sausage
-salami
-veggies - bell peppers, mushrooms, fresh tomatoes, onion - all sliced thin

tip:
Spoon out a can of tomato paste into tablespoon-sized globs, put globs on a piece of foil and freeze until solid then put into a ziploc bag.
You will always have a spoonful to add to recipes wihtout having to use the whole can or let it spoil.

nightsong
Dec. 25, 2009, 10:04 AM
Anything "salad". We don't eat anywhere enough dark, leafy greens, and putting stuff on it, even if it's steak and cheese, will get those oh-so-crucial nutrients into you. And salad dressings are SO yummy!!!

wendy
Dec. 25, 2009, 10:17 AM
bagged salad add some cheese or meat or tuna and you're good to go.
We usually make our "quick" meals by cooking several meals at once and freezing the leftovers in individual servings. Nuke it and eat.

hasahorse
Dec. 25, 2009, 10:22 AM
This is one of my husband's favorites:

4 chicken breasts
1/2 stick butter
1/2 cup honey
1/4 cup dijon mustard
1 TBSP Curry
1 tsp salt

Preheat oven to 350. Place chicken breasts in shallow baking pan. Melt butter, add honey, mustard, curry, and salt in small sauce pan. Pour over chicken and cover tightly. Bake for 45 minutes. Remove cover and bake 15 minutes more, basting chicken with sauce frequently.

This works great with rice or grilled veggies, plus it makes great leftovers.

ManyDogs
Dec. 25, 2009, 10:34 AM
One of our favorite quick dinner meals is what I call a Big Scramble:
microwave a smallish potato or two
dice up onions, peppers, tomatoes, and cooked potatoes
brown all of above in butter or margarine in a skillet
add eggs and scramble all ingredients
You can add ham/bacon/sausage if desired-sometimes I add the crumbled bacon that comes in packages

Toast and coffee and you've got a meal!

BigHorseLittleHorse
Dec. 25, 2009, 11:38 AM
If you have 15 minutes and a blender, here's a recipe for killer (healthy!) pesto:

1/3 cup pine nuts
1 cup fresh basil leaves
2 garlic cloves, chopped, or equivalent of minced garlic
4 heaping teaspoons parmesan cheese
1/3 cup + 2 tbsp extra virgin olive oil
1/2 cup sun-dried tomatoes (the kind in a jar, not the dried ones)
pepper to taste
tarragon or sage to taste

While pasta is cooking, put the above ingredients in a blender. Blend until smooth (you might have to pulse the blender and stir the ingredients at first). If it gets too thick, add more olive oil a tbsp at a time.

Drain the pasta and mix in the pesto immediately - the pasta will heat the sauce on its own. Ta-da, you're done. You can also mix in some chicken if you like.

knightrider
Jan. 1, 2010, 12:43 AM
Yum...bumping for more! These are great, thanks.

Wayside
Jan. 1, 2010, 01:06 AM
I keep a wide variety of spice mixes on hand to give my quick and easy meals some variety. Personally I'm rather partial to Penzey's, but there are a lot of options in the grocery store to choose from, too.

Regularly, I'll buy meat strips (like the stir-fry kind) usually turkey or beef. I'll sprinkle them with seasoning, and sear them in a large skillet. Chopped firm tofu is also good imo, but Mr. Way objects to it. When they're cooked, I throw in a whole bag of frozen mixed vegetables. Then I can serve it in a wrap, on rice, with couscous, in a pita, all sorts of things.

It's sort of the staple of our diet here, though I switch up the protein, spices, veggies and carbs up for variety. One night it might be beef and bell pepper strips with Chicago Steak seasoning in a wrap, and another turkey and mediterranean mixed veggies with Sunny Spain seasoning with couscous. Tofu and asian veggies/spices on rice. Its really pretty much the same process, though. And it reheats well for lunches.

Lately I've been on a fresh mozzarella sandwich kick for lunches. I use a sun-dried tomato pesto for a spread, add a slice of fresh mozzarella and a heap of baby spinach leaves, and heat it until the cheese is melty. Usually I use the 100-calorie sandwich rounds and pop them in the microwave, but it's really good grilled on italian bread.