PDA

View Full Version : Yummy Crock Pot Recipes

knightrider
Dec. 24, 2009, 09:49 PM
Ok....what do you cook in your crockpot that is yummy and not too hard to make?

wsmoak
Dec. 24, 2009, 09:56 PM
My current favorite is the ten bean dried mix from Sprouts and this recipe:

http://www.bettycrocker.com/recipes.aspx/slow-cooker-easy-multi-bean-soup/

enjoytheride
Dec. 24, 2009, 10:01 PM
peperoncini beef

one jar pepperoncinis
one hunk beef potroast or whatever is on sale
couple garlic cloves

Dump everything in a crockpot, cook for 8 hours/all day.

Shred meat with fork and serve as a potroast or as open faced sandwiches with melted cheese on top.

Wonders12
Dec. 24, 2009, 10:31 PM
I posted this one in the casserole thread. It's got to be the easiest thing ever.

1) Taco chicken: Get frozen, boneless chicken (fresh works too, but it's more expensive and you'll have to add some water) throw it into a crock pot in the morning, add a whole packet of taco seasoning, walk away. Go on with your day. Come home, pull apart the chicken to make it like shredded chicken, mix it up and let it cook for a little longer. You're done!

You can make great tacos/burritos with these, but when I'm in a crunch a just throw some onto a hamburger bun, heat up some peas, and I have a quick and pretty healthy dinner. (It's also easy to microwave for future days.)

gieriscm
Dec. 24, 2009, 10:37 PM
Put three boneless skinless chicken breasts into the crock pot.

Mix 1 can of cream of chicken soup, 1 can of cheddar cheese soup, and 1/2 cup of either dry white wine or water in a bowl. Pour mixture onto chicken breasts.

Cook on low 10-12 hours. Serve over rice.

knightrider
Dec. 24, 2009, 10:38 PM
I'm actually thinking of making that chicken taco dish tomorrow...I have a bunch of chicken in the fridge that needs to be cooked and I think I'll be home all day so it may as well cook while I'm here....thanks...these look good...

Bring em on!

Kinsella
Dec. 24, 2009, 11:07 PM
Wait, do you add water to the taco chicken and beef dishes??

SarahandSam
Dec. 24, 2009, 11:15 PM
I throw half a package of cream cheese, half a stick of butter, a can of corn and a tablespoon of sugar in on high for 2 hours, stirring occasionally so it doesn't burn. Then I eat the whole thing.

This gets me through PMS and stressful days.

Wonders12
Dec. 25, 2009, 12:26 AM

For the chicken: If it's frozen, you don't usually need to. (It will look watery once it thaws, but it will soak it all up once you pull it apart.) If you use fresh, you will need to add some water. I'm the worst cook in the world and just guesstimated, so it's no critical amount.:D I probably added 1/2 cup to 1 cup, maybe a little more. Just enough to allow the chicken to soak into it once it starts to cook.

Rubyfree
Dec. 25, 2009, 12:47 AM
My very, very favorite thing to do with a crockpot is to butterfly a whole chicken (or use chicken quarters pre-cut) and toss it in the pot with some garlic, onions, appropriate spices and enough chicken broth/stock to cover. Let it cook all day, pull it out (it will fall apart- have tongs handy), sauce it up and voila- pulled chicken. I use chili powder and cumin and sauce it with BBQ for pulled chicken sandwiches, soy or tamari and five spice powder and finish with a sweet teriyaki sauce, and serve with rice and some veggies for an asian spin. A little OJ, balsamic and rosemary for 'italian' flavors.

Let your imagination run- it's really fall-off-the-bone tender after cooking in liquid all day. You can also save the liquid and simmer it for a while and make a stock out of it- add the chicken back and some veggies and you have a rich, easy, low fat soup.

Kinsella
Dec. 25, 2009, 12:48 AM
What temp do you cook the chicken on? I would think low if you are leaving it all day, but want to double check! (I forsee a lot of cooking next week!)

Rubyfree
Dec. 25, 2009, 01:59 AM
Low for all day, high for 4-6 hours.

LoriO
Dec. 25, 2009, 06:08 AM
Another way of doing the taco chicken is put a couple of chicken breasts in the crock pot with a jar of salsa. Shred chicken when cooked and mix everythig up. Use to make tacos, burritos or enchiladas

2DogsFarm
Dec. 25, 2009, 06:48 AM

For the beef you use the liquid from the jar of pepperoncini - the vinegar helps tenderize the beef.
Sometimes if I am feeling fancy I toss in a package of onion soup mix too.

Enjoytheride:
I never heard of that recipe until I moved to Indiana.
They call it Italian Beef and it is fabulous!

Claddagh
Dec. 25, 2009, 09:06 AM
This tortilla soup recipe is DELICIOUS! Don't let the long list of ingredients fool you. All you do is dump everything into the slow cooker and walk away!

INGREDIENTS
• 1 pound cooked chicken (or cut up into bite size pieces) - I use grocery store or Costco rotisserie chicken
• 1 (15 ounce) can diced tomatoes
• 1 (10 ounce) can enchilada sauce
• 1 medium onion, chopped
• 1 (4 ounce) can chopped green chile peppers
• 2 cloves garlic, minced
• 32 oz. container chicken broth
• 1 can black beans
• 1 teaspoon cumin
• 1 teaspoon chili powder
• 1 teaspoon salt
• 1/4 teaspoon black pepper
• 1 bay leaf
• 1 (10 ounce) package frozen white shoepeg corn
• 1 tablespoon chopped cilantro
• Tortilla chips
• Sour cream

DIRECTIONS
1. Place chicken, tomatoes, enchilada sauce, onion, green chiles, and garlic into a slow cooker. Pour in chicken broth, and season with cumin, chili powder, salt, pepper, and bay leaf. Stir in corn and cilantro. Cover, and cook on Low for 6 to 8 hours or on High for 3 to 4 hours.

2. To serve, break up some tortilla chips and sprinkle over soup and put a spoonful of sour cream on top.

ENJOY – it’s fabulous!

AEM74
Dec. 25, 2009, 10:02 AM
pork roast of any sort
onion
butternut squash
carrots
salt
pepper
garlic
dash of cumin
dash of Allspice
two bay leaves
cover everything in one jar of chunky applesauceYummy!

enjoytheride
Dec. 25, 2009, 10:27 AM
I think it's actually different from italian beef, but yes you do add the entire jar of peperoncinis including the liquid.

I'm not a spicy fan so I don't keep the peppers on my sandiwch but you can if you want.

kellyb
Dec. 25, 2009, 10:30 AM
I picked up a cookbook by Campbells called Slow Cooker Recipes...it was like $5 at Borders and has the BEST stuff in there. You maybe have 5 minutes of prep in the worst one.

Here's some of them online!

http://www.campbellkitchen.com/mealideas.aspx?rc=897&pd=yes

knightrider
Dec. 25, 2009, 11:57 AM
These sound sooo yummy and will be on my list to cook next week...have a question though about this:

"Another way of doing the taco chicken is put a couple of chicken breasts in the crock pot with a jar of salsa"

I assume you still use the taco seasoning with the chicken and salsa?

Also, the recipe with the applesauce sounds interesting...I'm not super adventurous with my cooking but that is a resolution for me this year..try to cook new things!

Thanks all!!! keep em coming!

CarolinaGirl
Dec. 25, 2009, 01:54 PM
Oh this is good I just got a slow cooker/crock pot for xmas! Lol

hasahorse
Dec. 25, 2009, 02:01 PM
This is great for cold weather:

Two turkey thighs
1 can cream of mushroom soup
Add one can of water to soup

Cook all day on low and serve with rice.

This is a great pasta sauce:

1 pkg Knorr Italian Chicken mix
10 oz button mushrooms
5 or 6 boneless chicken thighs
2 large cans stewed tomatoes
1 small can tomato paste
2 green peppers cut into small pieces

Mix all together and cook all day on low. Freezes really well.

Mali
Dec. 25, 2009, 08:25 PM
Slow Cooker Stuffing
Prep Time: 25 MinutesCook Time: 8 Hours 55 Minutes Ready In: 9 Hours 20 MinutesYields: 16 servings
"Making this moist bread dressing in a slow cooker is an excellent way to free up the oven for other dishes on a busy cooking day."
INGREDIENTS:1 cup butter or margarine2 cups chopped onion2 cups chopped celery1/4 cup chopped fresh parsley12 ounces sliced mushrooms12 cups dry bread cubes1 teaspoon poultry seasoning1 1/2 teaspoons dried sage 1 teaspoon dried thyme1/2 teaspoon dried marjoram1 1/2 teaspoons salt1/2 teaspoon ground black pepper4 1/2 cups chicken broth, or as needed2 eggs, beaten
DIRECTIONS:
1.Melt butter or margarine in a skillet over medium heat. Cook onion, celery, mushroom, and parsley in butter, stirring frequently.
2.Spoon cooked vegetables over bread cubes in a very large mixing bowl. Season with poultry seasoning, sage, thyme, marjoram, and salt and pepper. Pour in enough broth to moisten, and mix in eggs. Transfer mixture to slow cooker, and cover.
3.Cook on High for 45 minutes, then reduce heat to Low, and cook for 4 to 8 hours.

YOU CANNOT TELL THAT THIS DIDN'T COME OUT OF THE TURKEY! IT IS AMAZING!

Peggy
Dec. 25, 2009, 08:30 PM
I've made what I think is Claddagh's tortilla soup recipe and it's wonderful. Found mine on the internet. Also good if you add some grated cheese on the top of the individual servings. I eat it for a night or two or three and then put the rest in jars from store-bought pasta sauce and freeze it.

Katy9532
Dec. 26, 2009, 11:40 AM
i just get the biggest chuck roast that i can find.... cut it in half and season with what ever i have in the spice rack (im currently favoring a lime/chipotle rub)
pour in a can of beef stock
cut up a medium yellow onion
as many cloves of garlic as you like
add enough water to cover the roast

let it go for about 8 hrs or so on low... or until it falls apart

(you could add wine if you want)

my boyfriend salivates over this!!!! last time i got a 8lb roast and it lasted about a day!

ridgeback
Dec. 26, 2009, 12:00 PM
Love this thread hope it stays up so I can copy all the yummy receipes.

eponacowgirl
Dec. 26, 2009, 02:13 PM
Onion Meatballs
2 packages frozen cooked meatballs
1 jar beef gravy
1 envelope dry onion soup mix
Throw everything in the crock pot. Turn it on.

Come back a couple hours later.
Serve as an appetizer.
Or make a sandwich with provolone cheese.
Or just eat it with a fork.

Chicken n' Dumplins
1 package chicken thighs or chicken breasts
2 Tbs butter
2 cans cream of chicken soup
1/2 bag frozen choppen onions
Water to cover
Garlic, salt, pepper to taste
One tube refrigerated biscuit dough

Mix chicken, butter, soup, onion and seasonings in crockpot and add water until covered.
Cook on high for five to six hours.
30 minutes before serving, tear dough into bite sized pieces and add to crock pot.
Continue cooking until dough is cooked through and fluffy.

Broccoli Cheddar Soup
3 cans cheddar cheese soup
1 can cream of mushroom soup
1 can cream of chicken soup
A bag of frozen broccoli
A bag of frozen chopped onions
1 tbs butter
Garlic, salt and pepper to taste
milk/water to thin

Combine in a pot.
Cook.
Eat.

Demo's Chicken and Rice Soup
1 rotisserie chicken- lemon pepper if they have it
OR
4-5 chicken breasts
1/4 water
2 tsp lemon juice

2 cups of water
3 cans of fat free chicken broth
2 tsp of lemon juice
2 tsp of parsley flakes
2 cans cream of chicken soup
salt and pepper to taste

3 cups of water
2 cups of white or brown instant rice

Pull meat off rotisserie chicken into bite sized pieces.
OR
Spray baking dish with Pam and place chicken in dish. Pour water and lemon juice over chicken, cover with foil and bake for 45 minutes in oven.

Fix instant rice according to package.
Put in chicken and rice in pot with water, broth, lemon juice, parsley, cream of chicken soup, salt, and pepper.
Cook on low for 40 minutes.
Sound too difficult? Throw it in the crock pot!

White Chicken Chili
2 packets McCormick White Chicken Chili Seasoning
2 cans Northern or White beans, undrained
2 cups water
1 rotisserie chicken

Pull meat off chicken.
Mix in a pot or crock pot with beans, seasoning packets, water.
You can use 1 packet/1 can/1 cup water, but I found it a little thick with a whole rotisserie chicken.
Top with sour cream and cheese.

French Onion Chicken Bake
1/4 cup butter
Meat from 1 rotisserie chicken
2 large onions, halved and thinly sliced
1/4 cup flour
4 cups water
1/4 cup sherry or water
1 box (2 envelopes) onion soup mix
1/4 tsp black pepper
1 can refrigerator biscuits
1 bag shredded swiss cheese

Easy version:
Put all ingredients in a crock pot besides cheese and biscuits. Cook all day, bake biscuits seperately. Serve onion mix over a biscuit, top with cheese.

Not-as-easy version:
Put meat from chicken in a 9x13 casserole. In a skillet, melt butter and cook onion slices until golden brown. Sprinkle with flour, cook one more minute, then add water, sherry and soup mix until boiling, continue cooking for 3 minutes. Cover chicken with contents of skillet, top with uncooked biscuits and bake for 20 minutes. Cover with cheese, bake 4-5 minutes longer or until cheese is melted.

Cherries Jubilee
1 box yellow cake mix
2 cans cherry pie filling (or peach, or apple...)
1/2 cup butter

Put pie filling in the crock pot, sprinkle cake mix to cover fruit and pour melted butter over the top. Cover and cook on low for 4 hours or high for 2.

Serve with vanilla ice cream.

Halve this for normal people or smaller crock pots!

Apple Crisp
2 cans apple pie filling
2 1/2 cups granola cereal
1 1/2 tsp cinnamon
1/3 cup sugar
1/3 cup melted butter

In the order above, put ingredients in the crock pot.
Cover and cook on low for 3 hours.
Serve with vanilla ice cream (as if there was any doubt.)