PDA

View Full Version : Mac or PC

Flypony
Dec. 24, 2009, 09:42 PM
Santa just brought me a new Macbook Pro. So I am just making the switch. So far I think I'm gonna like this. Anyone else's thoughts? And useful tips would be appreciated

texang73
Dec. 24, 2009, 09:48 PM
Santa just brought me a new Macbook Pro. So I am just making the switch. So far I think I'm gonna like this. Anyone else's thoughts? And useful tips would be appreciated

I made the switch a year ago, you're gonna LOVE it. This link is helpful if needed http://discussions.apple.com/category.jspa?categoryID=190 Lots of knowledgeable people.

Congrats!

Wonders12
Dec. 24, 2009, 09:52 PM
I agree, you'll really like it!

Spend the next few days messing around with it, and that's probably all it will take to really "get" it. The only thing I didn't like is the lack of a right-click button, but just hold down ctrl while you click, and it's the exact same thing.

Have fun!

WorthTheWait95
Dec. 24, 2009, 09:55 PM
I'm in the very rare minority that swapped from a PC to a Mac and HATED it. I kept it for one year because everyone kept telling me I would 'learn to love it'. That never happened. I sold it and swapped everything back to a PC (my laptop and desktop).

I just never got used to it. I hated how it didn't connect to anything and you had to keep track of special adapters, etc. Plus, I just didn't like the layout of the screens and such. Everyone that has a mac says I'm crazy but I guess it's all personal preference.

jn4jenny
Dec. 24, 2009, 09:55 PM
Made the switch years ago and love it. I have mine double booted into Windows and Mac OS X, but I hardly use Windows at all.

Tips:
1. Buy the AppleCare warranty. Like any other laptop, most Mac laptops will experience some kind of mechanical problem in the first three years.

2. Explore open source software. www.opensourcemac.org is a nice place to start.

3. Learn how to clean/protect your mac. I use a silicone key cover by iSkin and thin plastic sheeting on my wrist rests, track pad, etc. Other people prefer bigger fancier plastic or vinyl cases. Also look into iKlear cleaning products. Windex and most generic laptop cleaning wipes do a piss poor job of cleaning a Macbook screen.

Have fun!

Flypony
Dec. 24, 2009, 10:01 PM
Do they make some sorta cover for the keys? I am a bad sit on the couch and eat while on the computer, what I am doing right now:) Soon they all become a mass of cheezies and dog hair:(

jn4jenny
Dec. 24, 2009, 10:05 PM
Do they make some sorta cover for the keys? I am a bad sit on the couch and eat while on the computer, what I am doing right now:) Soon they all become a mass of cheezies and dog hair:(

Yes--see my post right above regarding the iSkin key cover. ;) Several other companies make them too. My Macbook goes where I go, and that means lots of lint/crumbs/cat hair. I would hate to see all the lint my keyboard cover has saved my logic board from eating. :)

Polydor
Dec. 24, 2009, 10:15 PM
Yup just bought myself a macbook pro! Taking it back to Australia with me so i will or should able to get on here every once and awhile.

The whole family are Apple lovers so i grew up with them.

LOVE LOVE LOVE my apple!

P.

OneGrayPony
Dec. 24, 2009, 10:22 PM
Grew up with PCs, just got my first MBP last year and I ADORE it. Love it love it love it. It took a little getting used to, but now it's my favorite machine ever. I hate my dell at work now, and I'm completely intolerant of Windows and it's incessant non-working status.

LOVE my mac.

JenEM
Dec. 25, 2009, 12:03 AM
I'm on my second Mac, and will never, ever have a PC again. Not a day goes by at work that I do not curse the Windows OS.

I love how easy it is. Want to edit video? Connect firewire to laptop and camera, voila. Ditto for photo work. Love it love it love it.

Other than the POS cable company modem that got cranky about my Airport, I've never had any problems with equipment.

wilkins2
Dec. 25, 2009, 12:05 AM
Love my macs!

DressageGeek "Ribbon Ho"
Dec. 25, 2009, 12:10 AM
MAC. NO QUESTION!

Flypony
Dec. 25, 2009, 12:22 AM
Here is a question....how do I log off?

OneGrayPony
Dec. 25, 2009, 12:39 AM
Of the mac? You can click the little man figure up in the upper right hand corner.

I generally just shut the lid :)

Flypony
Dec. 25, 2009, 12:42 AM
Of the mac? You can click the little man figure up in the upper right hand corner.

I generally just shut the lid :)Shutting the lid turns it off? I don't see a little stick man.

JenEM
Dec. 25, 2009, 12:44 AM
Click on the apple in the upper left. The last item should be "Log Off YourUserName". Or just close the laptop; that puts it to sleep.

Flypony
Dec. 25, 2009, 12:46 AM
Thanks you guys. One more I hide the google tool bar...any ideas where it is now?

DressageGeek "Ribbon Ho"
Dec. 25, 2009, 01:30 AM
go under view.

when I shut mine off, I use the apple in the upper left and choose shut down.

LexInVA
Dec. 25, 2009, 01:37 AM
Get a Rock instead. A Rock is more fun because you can throw it at people and you never have to worry about replacing it because they can be found just about anywhere.

Flypony
Dec. 25, 2009, 01:46 AM
You guys are better than apple support ;)

wookiee
Dec. 25, 2009, 08:48 AM
For the right click on the laptops, go to System Preferences (under the apple in the top left) and choose trackpad. You can check a box, something like "For Secondary Clicks, place two fingers on the trackpad..."

I love the two finger click. LOVE IT!

Now I can't go back to a physical right button on dell crapitudes. Seems so inconvenient to move your thumb all the way over there! :lol:

jn4jenny
Dec. 25, 2009, 08:54 AM
Shutting the lid turns it off? I don't see a little stick man.

Shutting the lid puts it to sleep. It's a standby mode.

Of the best things about Macs is how quickly they wake up. Try shutting your lid, then opening it again a few seconds later. Boom, you're back in business.

Unlike Windows, which relies on reloading to clean out temporary files, Mac OS X can run for days/weeks/theoretically for months without reloading the OS. You can get free programs to automatically run the scripts for you without reloading the OS, or if you are a big loser like me, you can have a dashboard widget that monitors the last time the scripts were run (Maintidget). I don't even notice that I haven't run scripts until the machine has been on for two weeks or more.

While we're on this topic, though, make sure you download and install Applejack at http://applejack.sourceforge.net. It is a first aid utility that runs from the command line (outside of Mac OS X) so that if your computer ever fritzes out, there's a darn good chance you can still get into Applejack and fix the problem. It's a tiny hassle learning how to use it (have to master the art of pressing Command + S right as the Mac opening chime sounds on startup and then type "applejack auto restart" when you get in), but it is WELL worth having.

nadasy
Dec. 25, 2009, 08:57 AM
I have a MacBook Pro and LOVE IT!! I've had PC's since the 90
s and that was all I could afford-yes, had I just stuck with upgrading the first Apple 'Box' I got I probably could have saved a lot of angst with the Windows OS, but........

I do a lot of website work, construction, re-do's, graphic work, and this is the only way to go, IMHO. Plus it's so much easier to work with. I keep my old PC laptop for transcription work, but that's all.

At the end of the day, when I'm at home, I Quit the applications I'm using, and close the cover. Sometimes I- Shut Down (under the Apple), or 'Log Out' under Apple, if I'm on the road.

For some reason I can RIGHT CLICK, for instance working on lots of text stuff, or images, I use right click for many things.

My BEST SUGGESTION for you is PURCHASE THE APPLE CARE WARRANTY, and go to ONE ON ONE.

The One on One, if it's within a reasonable distance, it's well worth the $99 for a year of One on One answers to questions, particularly if it's 'work related' or even just for personal use, setting it up.

The Apple SUPPORT is the absolute BEST I have found. You can actually understand them and they speak ENGLISH. They SOLVE problems, not just read from a script over and over and over again, or have an 'attitude'. hahaha

Can you tell, I love my Apple?

RoyalTRider
Dec. 25, 2009, 11:36 AM
My ultimate reason I love Macs: when a PC has a problem, it is usually sent away for several weeks. If the Apple Store cannot fix a Mac in-store, it's replaced. Since technology comes to me to die.... :winkgrin: That is perfect.