PDA

View Full Version : Want feedback, opinions on NOVA areas of Purcellville, Hamilton, Waterford to live

tpup
Dec. 24, 2009, 08:37 PM
We're thinking of moving further west. Areas we are considering are Purcellville (areas closer to Rt. 7 or 9), Hamilton and Waterford. Not a horse property but looking for feedback on raising kids in this area (we have 2 in elem. school), feedback on activities, parks. Looking for more privacy, acreage (vs. our tiny yard now)...peace and quiet. Yet we know we'll be close to Leesburg, etc. for shopping, dining, etc. We'd be leaving our wonderful neighborhood pool but know we can join other pools (Franklin Park, etc.). I think Round Hill might be a bit too far but chime in about that also :)

Would love to hear from parents or even young adults who were raised in these areas about the elementary schools, thinking ahead to middle school since that will be our next step (son is in 2nd grade...) Slightly worried Waterford might be too small?? but their elem. is rated fabulous.

Would make a move this spring - who is from these areas?

siegi b.
Dec. 24, 2009, 08:39 PM
Consider yourself lucky if you can get into the Waterford area..... They're the best when it comes to schools and the area is just beautiful!

Good luck!

tpup
Dec. 24, 2009, 08:53 PM
Thanks Siegi - we've driven through a few times and the views are amazing. When we start house-hunting in March, it's on our list. The elementary is 1/2 the size of our current one, but I have heard such great things and saw the awards it received. It's so convenient off of Rt. 9 and 7 - I always thought Waterford was way further and it's not. I grew up in a small area like that and loved it (and I turned out fine) ;)

Trakehner
Dec. 25, 2009, 09:09 PM
Waterford's lovely...expensive and not too many choices for houses though.

JanM
Dec. 25, 2009, 09:43 PM
Waterford has 30+ houses for sale now-and the prices made me nauseous. Beautiful houses but pricey-and I bet the cheaper new ones were repos or short sales, but gorgeous. And Round Hill has a few new constructions available, but I don't know about the schools. I'm so old I remember going through Purcellville years ago, and it was in the country. Round Hill wasn't much at all then but a little store that sold apples and preserves, and Monastery Bread (made by a local Monastery I believe). It always seemed so nice and peaceful there.

tpup
Dec. 25, 2009, 10:12 PM
30 for sale in Waterford?? Not in our price range ;) Right now there are 2....one is a short sale/bank owned. Hoping in spring, more come up in our price range. We have a much better chance of finding something in Hamilton or Purcellville but I can't get the views and peace out of my mind in Waterford....and it's so close to 7 and 9 which is a huge plus. If it's meant to be, we'll find one!

knightrider
Dec. 26, 2009, 09:45 AM
You may want to check the school district changes...I've heard that Lovettsville/waterford students will not be attending Loudoun Valley HS which is causing some grief in the county...Loudoun Valley apparently has a good reputation, so your idea of Round Hill, Purcellville and Hamilton may not be a bad idea...if you need any help, I specialize in western loudoun...feel free to pm me.