PDA

View Full Version : Dog doesnt sleep through the night!

bhrunner06
Dec. 24, 2009, 07:31 PM
Hello all! Happy Holidays!

Was wondering if anyone had any advice...I have a 1 year old lab that still does not sleep through the night. We go to bed around 10, and she is wanting up to go outside around 430 or 5. She goes to the bathroom when she goes out, but then i have a hard time getting her back to sleep. How do I get her to sleep through the night?! She also has a problem with not being able to hold it in her cage!!! Are labs really just that much slower to mature?

Simkie
Dec. 24, 2009, 07:34 PM
I would rule out veterinary issues first--get a urine sample and take it to the vet. She might have an infection that's causing her issues.

A year old dog should absolutely be able to hold it for longer than 6 hours...

Guin
Dec. 24, 2009, 08:24 PM
Do you take the dog on a good long walk after dinner? I'd feed early, like at 5 or 6 pm, then go on a walk for a good 45 minutes around 6:30 or 7 pm, or even later. That will solve your problem.

tpup
Dec. 24, 2009, 08:35 PM
I too was wondering how much exercise the dog gets? I'd try upping his walking by 20-30 mins. a day if you can. Many issues with breeds like labs and goldens can be fixed or help with more exercise.

TBMaggie
Dec. 24, 2009, 08:38 PM
Yes.

I used to have a black lab, then had another one. Both were extremely immature, and extremely goofy until they were 2 years old. I ended up 'throwing them outside' until they were ready to be inside/outside dogs. And by throwing them outside I mean that they lived in a very, very large dog run with access to the garage where they had nice, flluffy beds.

This breed of dog needs an extra amount of excercise - and you'll have problems (chewing, housebreaking, barking) if they don't get what they need. They grow up to be fabulous dogs - IF you can stand them. Read the Morley books - wasn't he a BL?

goeslikestink
Dec. 25, 2009, 01:05 AM
Hello all! Happy Holidays!

Was wondering if anyone had any advice...I have a 1 year old lab that still does not sleep through the night. We go to bed around 10, and she is wanting up to go outside around 430 or 5. She goes to the bathroom when she goes out, but then i have a hard time getting her back to sleep. How do I get her to sleep through the night?! She also has a problem with not being able to hold it in her cage!!! Are labs really just that much slower to mature?

sounds like stress how long is she in her cage for during the day
also she not having enough exercise so find its hard to go back to sleep
do you and your partner work all day and leave her shut ip then when you come home let her out then when you go to bed shut her back in her cage

its not much fun - being restricted so its tension on the dog
you might have to chnage the way you do things with her and give her more play time /work time find an agility class for her shes a working dog or fly ball something you can take part in as a family and which she can enjoy as well

pintopiaffe
Dec. 25, 2009, 03:25 AM
I had this problem with my first dog, O'Malley. O'Malley was gifted. In ALL senses of the word. :lol:

I probably shouldn't admit this... but one day, somewhat by accident, I found out that if O'Malley slept on the bed, he was perfectly content to sleep just as long as I wanted.

Which is why all dogs sleep on the bed now.

Besides. It's cold up here in winter. ;)

bhrunner06
Dec. 26, 2009, 09:00 AM
Thanks for the advice! She gets TONS of exercise...thats not an issue! the dogs have a few acres fenced in that they run and play in. She does get fed early at night (5pm) and is outside for quite awhile throughout the evening until I go to bed. I do work all day, but my mom lets her outside a few times throughout the day. She still goes in her cage! She sleeps in bed with me...she is not in her cage at night.

I know labs are slower to mature, so was thinking this may be the issue. Vet issues have been ruled out. no worries there.

goeslikestink
Dec. 26, 2009, 09:33 AM
Thanks for the advice! She gets TONS of exercise...thats not an issue! the dogs have a few acres fenced in that they run and play in. She does get fed early at night (5pm) and is outside for quite awhile throughout the evening until I go to bed. I do work all day, but my mom lets her outside a few times throughout the day. She still goes in her cage! She sleeps in bed with me...she is not in her cage at night.

I know labs are slower to mature, so was thinking this may be the issue. Vet issues have been ruled out. no worries there.

have you actually house trianed her now its seems as if she outside a lot
and doesnt know the difference between house and outside
so hasnt a clue for bathrooms times

wendy
Dec. 26, 2009, 10:36 AM
ditto on the house-training; did you? I mean, actually take her out on a leash and praise her for going outside, over and over again, several times a day throughout her young puppyhood? Dogs, like people, need to learn how to "hold their bladders" through gradually increasing time being expected to hold it. If your dog is outside practically all the time she may never experience such practice.
And really, dogs that potty in crates shouldn't be crated for more than a hour or so at a time to avoid having such a thing happen. Letting/forcing a dog potty in a crate destroys their "cleanliness" instincts, and once you destroy them the dog is practically impossible to housebreak. Most dogs who are willing to potty in crates came from puppy mills/pet stores where they grew up living in excrement and think it's normal. Very difficult to housetrain such a dog.

also are you SURE she gets "tons of exercise"? just because you have a big yard doesn't mean anything. Most dogs who are just left to "self exercise" in a backyard actually get remarkably little exercise. I think all dogs should be in a formal exercise program- as in, you take the dog and make it exercise most days. It's also vitally important that young dogs get out and see the world; if all they ever see is your backyard they grow up mentally crippled. Take the dog for a brisk 40-minute-jog twice a day off the property or something. Or at least engage in fetch games and obedience training sessions to work the mind.

bhrunner06
Dec. 26, 2009, 01:28 PM
She is house broken....has been for many months now. She knows to go to the door when she needs to go potty. She also does get exercise. she runs and plays, we play fetch, she goes through the fields with me, she runs behind the 4wheeler, plays with the other dogs, etc etc... She just doesnt "hold it" through the night or day while in her crate. Like I said, she is let out multiple times during the day so she is not in her crate ALL day.

alicea
Dec. 26, 2009, 03:03 PM
benefit from the thousand dollars i spent diagnosing my dog (a chocolate lab) who had a similar problem. here are two possible options you may not have thought of.

first, large breed female dogs frequently develop incontence after they're neutered. vets know about this and there's a specific medication for it. it doesn't cost much. my dog would urinate on herself in the middle of a deep sleep.

second, is something called 'diabetes insipidus'. it is an underdiagnosed condition that many dogs have. in fact a friend who works at a shelter said that noctural incontinence is one of the main reasons dogs get turned into the shelter. diabetes inspidus is a lifetime condition and may or may not be controlled by medication. my dog has it and its companion problem GERD for which she takes ranitidine.

until you get this problem diagnosed, do not withold water from your dog. dogs with diabetes insipidus can die if they're denied access to h20.

do a web search to research these conditions, especially if you believe your dog is essentially housebroken.

Brookes
Dec. 26, 2009, 03:25 PM
Talk to your vet, large breed dogs can mature at a much slower rate. However a one year old lab should be able to hold it through the night. Let your vet take a look at the dog and determine that it is not a health issue before doing any type of different training.

Also I would recommend crating the dog through the night and not letting it sleep with you. The dog doesn't have any reason not to wake you up. You're right there so the urge to wee-wee is there and so are you. That is if your vet says no health issue is present. If the dog is healthy then crate at night for training purposes, as the dog matures you can let it spend time in bed with you on the weekends.

But first please check with your vet and if it is a health issue you will both sleep better knowing that the dog has been treated. A friends young dog was just treated for kidney stones, she was 18 months, very rare but it can happen and it caused mild incontinence. So go to your vet and get their opinion. Good luck and I hope it's just a case of a young dog needing to pee cause her bladder hasn't caught up with her body size yet. haha!

wendy
Dec. 26, 2009, 05:18 PM
She knows to go to the door when she needs to go potty. ....She just doesnt "hold it" through the night or day while in her crate. Like I said, she is let out multiple times during the day so she is not in her crate ALL day.

so basically the dog has been taught to go outside, but has always been let out instantly when she asks- so she hasn't ever learned to "hold it", which probably explains the going in the crate, too, she really hasn't learned how to hold her bladder, must go NOW so she goes unless you let her out immediately.
This is why I never ever teach dogs to "ask" to go out to go potty. They go out when I want them to go out, period, and learn to hold it in-between trips; of course you start with frequent trips outside, and gradually extend the time in between trips, so the dog learns bladder control. A year-old dog of any breed should certainly be able to learn to hold the bladder all night and for a few hours during the day in a crate. I would suggest you set an alarm clock for about half an hour before the time you usually get woken up, and get up then, and march her outside. Then every day set the clock ahead by five minutes, get up, march her outside. Repeat until the clock isn't going off until you want to get up.
As to the crate, I would only crate her for an hour at a time, march her outside for potty, put her back in the crate. Gradually extend the hour until you hit four hours (dogs should never be crated longer than four hours without a break on a routine basis IMO).
Also would check for a UTI or other vet problem, can't hurt.