PDA

View Full Version : Can you use eggs after they freeze?

pintopiaffe
Dec. 24, 2009, 06:46 PM
I left a dozen eggs in the truck by accident. They froze.

Do I have to get new eggs or can I cook with them?

LexInVA
Dec. 24, 2009, 06:48 PM
They will be fine most of the time but you need to thaw them in the fridge.

DressageFancy
Dec. 24, 2009, 09:10 PM
In the bitter cold of January my chickens lay ege shaped rocks! And, yes, I still use them. Just thaw in the fridge and use them up within a day or two. Be sure to cook them well as in NO "sunny side up eggs" and they will be just fine.

Bluey
Dec. 24, 2009, 09:14 PM
Somehow I was thinking about mare eggs and using them after freezing.
I could not remember if our vet, that does so much embrio transfer, had mentioned if they were still viable after freezing.:p

greysandbays
Dec. 24, 2009, 10:43 PM
If they are frozen now, I'd keep them frozen until you're ready to use them. (Shells might crack though -- keep them in a freezer bag so they don't take on any wierd odors/flavors.)

I know you can freeze them intentionally and store them for future use but you're supposed to break them out of the shell and break the yolk and freeze them in one's or two's (depending on how you expect to be using them) in little containers; when they're frozen, you can remove them to a big freezer bag and add more frozen eggs as you get them.

pintopiaffe
Dec. 25, 2009, 12:35 AM
Are they ok in recipes?

I was *supposed* to make Irish Stew tomorrow... the dumplings take eggs.

2DogsFarm
Dec. 25, 2009, 09:21 AM
They will be fine for cooking - the only thing you might notice is the yolks are a little "thicker" than normal, but in a recipe like dumplings that won't even get noticed.

When I collect a frozen egg from my coop I just let it thaw at room temp and then use. I store my eggs at room temp anyhow.
Just make sure the shells aren't cracked as that can allow bacteria in - less likely with storebought eggs.