PDA

View Full Version : Unusual Christmas Vacations

Daydream Believer
Dec. 24, 2009, 06:43 PM
Is anyone taking an odd or unusual vacation over the holidays? I'm only curious as I've had several people express amazement at my plans. :lol:

Mr DDB and I are into hiking and backpacking...which we started the last few years as a mental break away from the farm and horses...once that is your full time job you start thinking of non horse vacations.

We started section hiking the Appalachian Trail (AT) back in October and only made two days and about 17 miles before we had to come early in for horrendous weather....torrential downpours and flooding. We wanted to go back in Nov. but job pressures for my husband made getting away impossible.

So...not being really much into holiday stuff anyway...we decided to do a Christmas backpacking trip and take up where we left off on the AT. We will hike two days Sun thru Mon for just over 14 miles..one night in our tent then a night at a nice cabin. Then two more days...a bit more like 20 miles total this time and one night out..probably at an AT shelter or our tent and then back in the cabin again.

Temps at night will be in the low 20's most likely. :D Highs in the day in the 40's...lovely hiking weather. Actually the forecast is quite good for the mountains of N. Georgia this time of the year...no complaints! Sunny for three days and a slight chance of rain on the fourth day. I doubt we'll be the only ones out there either...folks hike that part of the Appalachians year round.

I wondered if anyone else has any off the beaten path or unusual vacation plans?

Drive NJ
Dec. 24, 2009, 07:14 PM
Been at home most Christmas's, but best of luck to you on hiking the trail. My Dad completed the trail (over his lifetime) in his late 70s Hard to fit it in over a life of work, 5 kids, and many, many other projects, but he managed - you will to. Enjoy your holiday

Tha Ridge
Dec. 24, 2009, 07:15 PM
My university has a human rights program that takes several trips every year. One of these trips is the same every year - over Christmas, the group travels to Poland to visit concentration camps from WWII - Auschwitz, Majdanek, Belzec, Stutthof, Treblinka, and Chelmno.

It's not as cheerful as hiking the Appalachian Trail, but is an incredibly reverent and meaningful trip nonetheless.

mroades
Dec. 24, 2009, 07:20 PM
DDB, I have to admit, when you said Appalachian Trail...I truly wondered for a second if you "meant" you were going to Argentina....can't help it, I live in SC:lol:

dani0303
Dec. 24, 2009, 07:21 PM
DDB, I have to admit, when you said Appalachian Trail...I truly wondered for a second if you "meant" you were going to Argentina....can't help it, I live in SC:lol:

:lol::lol::lol:

monday
Dec. 24, 2009, 09:11 PM
I am in St Thomas in the Virgin Islands listening to carrols on the steel drums. It's warm, there are frozen rum drinks, and the family is hanging out watching Santa on the beach.

Bluey
Dec. 24, 2009, 09:23 PM
One Christmas vacation my BF and I went hitchiking all over central Europe.
We hit every museum, concert and biergarden we could get to in those two weeks.
One night, high up in the german alps, we missed the last train and got very cold watching the town square fountain freeze solid in front of us.
A very nice policeman asked us into his commissary and let us stay warm in there.
He also fed us and we talked into morning and the first train out.

Lovely trip.:cool:

texang73
Dec. 24, 2009, 09:29 PM
I would LOVE to hike the AT!

I have spent many a C'mas away from home/family/friends... XC skiing in Vermont (lots of fun!)... Spent one C'mas day just hiking through Shenandoah NP...

Nothing so exciting this time... at home with family and friends this year.

Have fun on the AT, keep warm!

Daydream Believer
Dec. 24, 2009, 09:51 PM
Thanks texang73! We love the Shenandoah also. If you ever want to join us, just let me know. We'd welcome another hiker.

Monday...I have to say that your vacation sounds great. Bluey also! That sounded like a great time! Tha Ridge...that does sound like a neat trip..not cheerful...but one well worth doing.

AppJumpr08
Dec. 24, 2009, 11:21 PM
I am in St Thomas in the Virgin Islands listening to carrols on the steel drums. It's warm, there are frozen rum drinks, and the family is hanging out watching Santa on the beach.

Ok Jealous! Take the ferry over the St. John. You won't regret it!!!

olympicdreams04
Dec. 25, 2009, 12:09 AM
I will be working briefly, doing a few stalls for grooms that have the day off and getting on a couple of horses that are in on Saturday. Then I plan on heading off to Red River Gorge. I am new to the KY area and will be heading to FL in just a mere week so I want to have one last outing to savor the beauty of the terrain around here. I am determined to hit the road internationally next year, though.

CarolinaGirl
Dec. 25, 2009, 02:12 PM
I spent one Christmas/New Year's in Tenerife in the Canary Islands about three years ago. Can't say it was the greatest ever.. but I haven't had a normal xmas since about 2004. My mother moved back to Scotland in 2005.. so have spent one or two there. This year I am at home, with the mother visiting. My bf/fiance is deployed though, and learned today that he won't be home until after I start back to school in the spring, so not really very merry for me.