PDA

View Full Version : Introducing myself

trailpal
Dec. 24, 2009, 02:57 PM
Hi All -
I am a 50-something currently living on some acreage in western Nebraska with my hubby and a number of horses.

I used to live in Baltimore and got my real start on horseback in Monkton, where I took lessons in mostly English pursuits but really fell in love with distance riding and did some ECTRA rides. Then I lived in California (Los Angeles area) for 10 years and boarded right on the trail, did lots of conditioning but only entered one LD ride. 7 years ago we arrived in Nebraska on a hay farm and decided to breed trail horses - of course we know what happened to the market so I quit breeding, then eventually gelded my boy and continue to work on down-sizing my herd.

I am being offered a work position in Maryland, in the DC area. So I thought I'd like to come to this forum since many folks here are in the area. I'm sure I will have some questions about the possibility of horse property or boarding as well as trails and events.

Oh - and Merry Christmas too!
Trail Pal

Bank of Dad
Dec. 24, 2009, 05:12 PM
Welcome from a Marylander. I loved LA also. Nebraska's way too far from the ocean for me.

sublimequine
Dec. 24, 2009, 05:31 PM
Merry Christmas to you too! I'm a Midwesterner, and not an endurance rider (trail/pleasure rider, through and through!). But always glad to see a new face in this section of the forums. :yes:

trailpal
Dec. 24, 2009, 05:47 PM
Thanks, Bank of Dad - my hubby is too far from the water too - he's always lived on one coast or the other until the move hear. But we are both ready for a change of pace. LOL one thing about Nebraska, it's just about equi-distant from both coasts and the gulf.

Hi SublimeEquine - I did live in Champaign-Urbana for a time but that was before my horsey days. I'm not so sure I am ready to do endurance at this point in my life, but I sure love to ride the trails and do the conditioning.

Thanks for the welcome!

howardh
Dec. 24, 2009, 06:46 PM
sitting here is Custer SD, not far from you so when you are done riding at Fort Robinson, head out here for some awesome riding!

ponygrl25
Dec. 24, 2009, 09:19 PM
Howdy from Virginia!!! I'm about an hour from DC. in Culpeper county. There is a lot of riding here. Tons of great trails and rides for all levels. The mountain riding is really amazing. Welcome to the forum and possibly to VA.!!!:cool:

matryoshka
Dec. 26, 2009, 05:16 PM
Welcome back to the area. I trim some horses in Laurel, but I live NE of Baltimore. DC is a big area, but I'm sure there are plenty of boarding opportunities. If you are settling near Laurel, I do know of a boarding barn with access to trails and parks. I'd have to get the name of the place from my clients and could PM it to you.

chicamuxen1
Dec. 28, 2009, 07:14 AM
Another Marylander here. Prices of homes and farms and everything else, are really high in this area as is rent and horse boarding. I'm an endurance rider and trailer all over the area to ride trails. Feel free to email me if you want to talk about places to ride or board. I'd also highly recommend joining two yahoo groups. MDHorsePerson and MarylandTrailriders. If you haven't used yahoo groups before just sign up for a free yahoo account and follow the simple directions. You won't be spammed by yahoo. These two groups are full of helpful MD horse people who can help you with info about parks, riding areas, rent, real estate, etc. Very nice folks.

Bonnie Snodgrass

SmokenMirrors
Dec. 28, 2009, 08:29 AM
Howdy and welcome from another person who lives in Culpeper County and is also about an hour from DC! We have two drafts and two QH and all of them trail ride....

baylady7
Dec. 28, 2009, 11:44 AM
Hello and welcome

I live in VA, work in DC and horse live in MD. So have seen alot of this area! Lots of good advice- look at the TROT website for info (www.trot-md.org). The Yahoo groups are helpful as well