PDA

View Full Version : Beval Princeton Saddles

farmgirl88
Dec. 24, 2009, 01:27 PM
So i just made an offer that was accepted on Ebay on a Beval Princeton, close contact. It's a wonderful looking saddle with dark chesnut leather. Its in fantastic shape, but it hasnt been used in awhile so it needs a good oiling. It came with a Stuuben girth and a brand new Wilkes fleece saddle pad. I liked the look of this saddle as it resembles the saddle i use on my ponies all the time and i love the ride and comfort that saddle offers.

I've heard nothing but good things about beval saddles. Any experience with the prestige? it looks like a fantastic saddle and for what i paid for it; i really honestly got it for a steal.

any experiences, thoughts, etc? I cant wait for it to come to put a first ride in it.

TryMyRules
Dec. 24, 2009, 01:32 PM
http://www.chronofhorse.com/forum/showthread.php?t=237260

farmgirl88
Dec. 24, 2009, 01:42 PM
thanks! didnt even think that perhaps they may have been discussed before. from the photos i saw of this one; it looks to be a really, really nice saddle and i just love the look of the leather, even though its been sitting in a closet and now needs to be cleaned and oiled.

I'm thinking that with the price i paid for it; even if i don't like it; i could easily re-sell for more than what i paid.

joiedevie99
Dec. 24, 2009, 02:01 PM
Do you mean Beval or Prestige, or is there some old Beval model called the Prestige? That thread is about Prestige made by La Selleria Italiana- in no way affiliated with Bevals.

TryMyRules
Dec. 24, 2009, 02:09 PM
Do you mean Beval or Prestige, or is there some old Beval model called the Prestige? That thread is about Prestige made by La Selleria Italiana- in no way affiliated with Bevals.

I was wondering the same thing, and just assumed she was talking about the Prestige, not a Beval saddle. I've never heard of a Beval Prestige, but hey I might be wrong.

farmgirl88
Dec. 24, 2009, 02:15 PM
sorry its a Beval, mustve got the name messed up

forestergirl99
Dec. 24, 2009, 02:15 PM
I was wondering the same thing, and just assumed she was talking about the Prestige, not a Beval saddle. I've never heard of a Beval Prestige, but hey I might be wrong.

Same here. I googled Beval Prestige, and i couldn't find anything.

farmgirl88
Dec. 24, 2009, 02:16 PM
Its a PRINCETON. My bad, thinking of 2 different saddles starting with the letter P

Silk
Dec. 25, 2009, 07:30 PM
Never heard of the Princeton. Is it a lower end Beval model? I have a Natural (a mid-priced Beval)and frankly, for the price, I am not totally impressed with it. I am not sure I would buy another Beval. I know others like them, however. Mine is about 10 years old. I bought it becasue I could get a short flap.

HunterJumperLuv
Dec. 25, 2009, 09:03 PM
Is it the one without the knee rolls?

Silk
Dec. 26, 2009, 09:01 AM

Dunno...its not on their website so I assume its no longer in production. That might be telling right there. I googled them and they go for around 300 used, so I hope the OP didnt pay much more than that. My guess is that it is an older, intro level saddle.

If I were going to buy a mid level/mid priced saddle I think I would go with a crosby. I still have my 35 yr old pony saddle and the only thing replaced have been the billets and that was a safety decision on my part. They were still in usable condition but using it a school saddle...I chose to be proactive:) Its hard enough to keep the little ones upright sometimes without a slipping saddle,

Silk
Dec. 26, 2009, 09:05 AM
here you go:

http://www.horsetackreview.com/review-display/1677.html

farmgirl88
Dec. 26, 2009, 10:09 AM

no, it has knee rolls. I also owned a Crosby as my first saddle and i still have it. it was a 13" Crosby Prix de Nations. Loved the saddle but i also felt, a lot of the times like it made my legs sit back farther than normal and the front of the saddle where the knee went was quite large. I agree, lovely saddles and i had been keeping my eyes on them also.

The Princeton that i bought wasn't used very much by the looks of things and the person selling it was selling everything horsie she owned (i think she was switching disciplines). The main reason why i purchased it is because it has wonderful looking leather and its in fantastic shape. the other reason is because its very closely designed to the pessoa pony saddle i've had for YEARS that is the main saddle i ride in. I love that saddle to peices and the way it sits and is designed is a very comfortable ride and sits me correctly on the horse.

I will be sure to share some photos when i get it. I personally think its a lovely looking saddle and i'm even more thrilled that by the looks of the photos i have seen, how closely it resembles the saddle i've ridden in for many years.

whatnow
Dec. 27, 2009, 05:09 PM
We had one many years ago with my oldest daughter. It was a nice saddle. The balance was fine but the leather was not of great quality and it took a long time to break in. I oiled it, rolled the flaps, she rode in it and we repeated about 50 times (It seemed like that anyway).

Eventually it did break in. I found it to be balanced and it seemed to wear well.

Personally I like the Pessoa Pony saddles better but it wasn't a bad saddle and if you got a good price on it then good for you. Enjoy:)