PDA

View Full Version : There's this chewing sound in my walls..

Sansena
Dec. 24, 2009, 07:34 AM
We live in the woods in a fairly countri-fied area. Have had this issue in winters past -- usually when the temps dip as lo as they are these days.

I'm not even certain this is anything larger than field mice, but I'd like some peace and quiet to sleep in some days. It's literally *in* the wall/ ceiling.

Any suggestions?

strawberry roan
Dec. 24, 2009, 07:48 AM
The only way you are going to get any peace is to get whatever is in there out. Either put some traps in your attic or crawl space or ????? And hope only mice are making the noise.....:)

RiverBendPol
Dec. 24, 2009, 08:09 AM
If you are as lucky as I am, you'll find it to be a happy little grey squirrel and all her babies........:mad: Mine have been there at least since we moved here 5 years ago. Chances are there are multiple generations who have grown up in my roof.

camohn
Dec. 24, 2009, 08:11 AM
mouse traps

twofatponies
Dec. 24, 2009, 08:17 AM
Trust me, mice can sound really big and loud when they are chewing on the wall next to your bed.

In the course of their travels they usually pass through the attic or basement. Throw a bunch of traps out (if you have dogs, cats or toddlers you need to keep them completely out of the basement and attic to prevent injury/poisoning) per instructions on the traps.

The stores all seem to sell mostly glue traps, which I think are quite cruel, as the mice get stuck to them and lay there struggling for ages, unless you are going to check on them regularly and put them out of their misery. I prefer snap traps. Hardware stores sell the kind with a box cover, so you don't have to see, and also so the mouse is nicely lined up with the snap, and doesn't get caught wrong (which can sometimes happen with regular snap traps.)

Sorry - TMI? I'm avoiding work.... :D

Sansena
Dec. 24, 2009, 08:27 AM
Honestly, since it's *in* the walls, I was thinking traps wouldnt' do much good. Having to place them in the line of traffic n'all. Poison is not good = rotted smell in the walls.

I've used glue traps exactly once in my life. Never again. I can't even boil a lobster much less squash or drown a mouse. Took nearly an hour, a box of Qtips and a bottle of non acetone nail polish remover to unstick the poor beast
whoprobablyisintheatticaswespeak.

Smoke bombs, anyone?

Eventer55
Dec. 24, 2009, 08:43 AM
There's another thread on this somewhere and I will tell you that mice and rodenets can burn down your house, barn or shed. If they chew on the wires and expose them it will cause a fire.

We trap and poison all year long. My horses and my house are far more important than rodents. And yes, once in a while there is a horrendous smell, but it's better than a burning house. Plus all the feces and urine in the walls of the house is just disgusting to me.

The snap traps are good if you place them correctly, but for an over abundance of rodents poison is better.

Mags
Dec. 24, 2009, 08:49 AM
I have the same sounds. At first it was BIG chewing sounds like they wanted into the living room. We had a few squirrel hole along the eves. So we had a new roof put on this Nov.(it was time anyway) No more night time chewing.

Then I start hearing running up and down the walls. The cats are all over the place looking for a way at them. I set the Have a Heart trap. I can hear the critter stop at the trap-all of use look up waiting for the bang-nothing:mad: Check the trap still set. No peanut butter. It's got to be a mouse. They're to lite to set the trap off.

I'm thinking about a bucket with some water in the bottom and a little ramp to help them get into the "pool". The squirrels must have keep the mice out. If it's not one critter it's another. I love New England:)

Carrera
Dec. 24, 2009, 10:00 AM
I had one *in* the wall, *in* my bedroom. It was so loud that the SO and I thought that it was a coon or a opssum... He went through the attic, there was nothing. Put out live traps... nothing... put out a few mouse traps and BINGO! got one little teeny tiny mouse and the chewing stopped!

OneGrayPony
Dec. 24, 2009, 10:18 AM
I've used glue traps exactly once in my life. Never again. I can't even boil a lobster much less squash or drown a mouse. Took nearly an hour, a box of Qtips and a bottle of non acetone nail polish remover to unstick the poor beast

This made me giggle - Once my mom and I tried to get a black ant unstuck from a towel without severing his head (his little pincer got stuck in one of the loops). Reminded me of your effort.

Mice can be caught in the havahart, but I've actually had the most luck with something called the tin cat.

http://www.pestmall.com/tin-cat--repeater-solid-top-these-traps-are-a-long-time-favorite-of.html?gclid=CPbj2qeh754CFdx05Qod6QpVJQ

They are humane, and generally, if you have multiple mice, you'll find multiple mice in them in the morning. Relocate them at *least* a mile away.

In our house, we use the tin cat and every once in awhile the terrier mix decides to take one out. I find that totally gross (particularly when the other dogs decide to eat it, then vomit it back up - yum!)

I'm not sure what to do about squirrels that would be humane and not kill them *in* your walls.

But definitely do a walkaround after you've caught the offenders, and determine how they are getting in!

Bluey
Dec. 24, 2009, 11:14 AM
We have about one mouse a month get into the attic, crawl linto the walls, chew around for a day or two and die, the smell terrible.
While they are in the walls, scratching, the little terrier is going nuts, wishing she could get to them.
We can't find where they are getting into the unfinished attic.:(
We have poison up there and they eat it, but still, we would like to stop them from getting in there.

There have never been any signs of any in the house, thankfully.

grayarabpony
Dec. 24, 2009, 11:25 AM
The mice will come out of the walls for food. The walls are how they travel from the crawl space to everywhere else in your house. So traps will work.

You need a nice black snake under the house so that the mice won't even get that far. :)

Yip
Dec. 24, 2009, 12:49 PM
If you are as lucky as I am, you'll find it to be a happy little grey squirrel and all her babies........ Mine have been there at least since we moved here 5 years ago. Chances are there are multiple generations who have grown up in my roof.

I remember reading somewhere (when we had the same problem) that rodents in walls are responsible for most wiring fires in houses. They need to chew constantly, and they'll chew anything. It's really not a good idea to let them stay there.

OK, we've had the same problem a few times in 3 different areas of the house. I had no idea how to get traps into the walls, etc. We have no attic. Our house is a ranch with a low pitched roof, so that was out. We put traps in the crawl space under the house but I don't know if we ever caught anything.

What I did was set a boombox as close to the offender as possible and blast my favorite music for a couple hours. Pretty humane and very low tech - but it has always worked for me!

Yip

ManyDogs
Dec. 24, 2009, 01:15 PM
Peppermint oil on cotton balls. (Supposed to keep flies away from horses, too.)
Pepperrmint sure beats dead mouse smell in the walls. Or mouse "presents" in the cabinets. Ugh. So disgusting.
Good luck! We're in the country, too. If it isn't mice, it's groundhogs digging under the barn.

Alagirl
Dec. 24, 2009, 01:19 PM
Honestly, since it's *in* the walls, I was thinking traps wouldnt' do much good. Having to place them in the line of traffic n'all. Poison is not good = rotted smell in the walls.

whoprobablyisintheatticaswespeak.

Smoke bombs, anyone?

BWAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHA :lol::lol::lol::lol::lol::lol:

Just a little reminder, Sunkissed acres' barn burned down because of rodent damage!

Those little shits cause a lot of damage disproportional to their size.

So yeah, dear OP you have some kind of rodent in your house.

I have/had squirrels in my attic space (there is a huge piece of the soffit missing near a tree...super duper...)

It sounds like a horse galloping across the ceiling.

I had only odor problems when the little beasts decided to die in an open but obstructed area. And I used sticky traps when they kept avoiding the snap traps. And no, I am not a fan of doing that, but gawd, in one evening I caught a whole mouse family on a single trap, it was really bad. (excessive mouse pee stinks, too!)

JanM
Dec. 24, 2009, 04:15 PM
Hantavirus-comes from rodents and is a big hazard to your life. Also you need to find out where they're getting in and block it. Under the eaves or through some other hole is the usual access. And make sure if you have the big vents on the end of the roof under the eaves that the screens are intact. I don't care what they are you need to get rid of them before you get sick or they cause a fire or eat through the wall and come for a visit. They can also get in the house if you have big holes around pipes or drains where they come in under the sink or through the floors or walls.

One of the students where I work (full grown Soldiers training to be pilots-many combat vets) had a house that had what seemed to be squirrels in the attic. His brilliant solution (it was a very narrow space) was use a big flashlight, locate rodent, shoot rodent (yes inside the attic). I talked him out of it. It sounded very efficient until the holes in the roof and neighbors with houses with holes in them part was mentioned, and the dead racoon or squirrels in your attic and you can't get to them thing was brought up. He called a pro to take care of it.

Valentina_32926
Dec. 26, 2009, 04:35 PM
Had a mouse/rat problem for a while, got poison that makes the animal not want water - so they dry up and sie - no smell! Just be certain other animals can NOT get to the poison.

MunchkinsMom
Dec. 27, 2009, 03:02 PM
Peppermint oil on cotton balls. (Supposed to keep flies away from horses, too.)
Pepperrmint sure beats dead mouse smell in the walls. Or mouse "presents" in the cabinets. Ugh. So disgusting.
Good luck! We're in the country, too. If it isn't mice, it's groundhogs digging under the barn.

Don't count on that working, it seems the mice in my house here in FL and the ones in CT like peppermints. I just found a pile of chewed up mints under my office couch, they stole them from a bag I had stored in here for the horses. And in CT, I had mice that loved Hall's Mentholyptus cough drops!

Best traps for our tiny mice so far are the new D-Con round traps.

slpeders
Dec. 27, 2009, 03:17 PM
I can't offer much for new eradication ideas, but would offer a description given to me by the pest removal guy when I had a rabbit in the house (no, STILL don't know how the he** THAT happened).
He said that mice running sound like a wooden spook rolling across the floor (or down the wall), squirrels sound like they're as big as raccoons, and raccoons sound like elephants! :)
I thought that was interesting.... but I still get mice. I know, because the cat occassionally brings one up from the basement to play. :(

pokesaladannie
Dec. 27, 2009, 05:29 PM
Funny - I quickly scanned the OP's opening line and thought it read " there's this chewing sound in my wallet" and I thought OMG I'm not the only one that is trying to figure out where the cash is disappearing to.... LOL!!!

AppJumpr08
Dec. 27, 2009, 06:32 PM
Just don't do what a local guy did where I grew up...

He had a squirrel that had taken up residence in the wall that happened to be at the head of his bed. In it's finest rodent style, the squirrel would scratch merrily away in the wall while this gentleman was trying to go to sleep. He'd bang on the wall, and the squirrel would stop. For about 10 minutes. Just as he would doze off, it would start scratching again.
Well, we all know how frustrating not being able to fall asleep is!

Finally, in desperation, he decided he'd fix that squirrel but good. And grabbed his gun. And fired into the wall. Shorted out an electrical wire, and burned his house to the ground.
No Joke! My father was one of the responding volunteer firefighters....
:)

JanM
Dec. 27, 2009, 08:40 PM
I have another cautionary tale about rodent ousting. A friend told me about a relative of his that decided a log cabin kit with sterilized and fumigated logs was for fools, and he decided to gather his own, have them planed down and build his own little Ponderosa. Unfortunately one night something started chewing in the logs in the bedroom, and since he couldn't take it anymore started blasting away with his .45 until they stopped. His wife said that it took a lot of shots to get rid of what turned out to be the big carpenter bees. And of course he had to patch all the logs.