PDA

View Full Version : Going to WEF question

mrslipstick
Dec. 23, 2009, 10:25 PM
I'm curious...do most boarding stables/trainers require that you pay board at home even though your horse is in Florida, and pay fees while in Florida? I'd love to know what most barns do. Anyone willing to share would be appreciated!

headsupheelsdown
Dec. 23, 2009, 10:29 PM
Will you be showing with the same barn and trainer while you are in FL?

Limone
Dec. 23, 2009, 10:42 PM
yes it is to hold your stall at home usually not the entire price but where i am it is $300 a month while the horses are gone (per horse that is)

mrslipstick
Dec. 23, 2009, 11:17 PM
yes, I will be with same barn/trainer in florida. Thanks, Limone!

heartinrye
Dec. 24, 2009, 12:08 AM
If the whole barn goes and the barn up north "shuts down" for the winter- usually, no. If there is still stuff going on up north, then yes I would expect to pay a reduced rate.

Lucassb
Dec. 24, 2009, 03:11 PM
Yes, it is common to pay for the (empty) stall at home while the horses are off showing on a winter circuit. There is still overhead associated with the home farm even if no one is there for a while - lease/mortgage payments, insurance, etc. It's pretty much the same as you going on vacation; you don't get a break on your mortgage or rent payments.

It is nice if the clients get a break and pay less than full board at home (since they are paying for care on the road) but plenty of places simply don't have much margin in the variable costs like labor, shavings etc. and will often charge full board or darn close to it, especially if the barn is not completely shut down and still has horses, help etc as normal. Some places that do that will offer a break if they can rent your stall to someone else while you are gone.

pony4me
Dec. 24, 2009, 04:07 PM
If your stall at home is sitting empty, and your trainer/BO is not getting any revenue from it, I would expect to pay. However, if your horse was on training board, I would expect your bill to go down to just board. Most barns have this spelled out in their rates and policies document. If yours does not, it would be appropriate to ask. It beats getting a nasty expensive surprise later.

CBoylen
Dec. 24, 2009, 05:33 PM
Yes, most show barns continue to charge full board for clients while they are in FL, with all the FL fees on top.

JinxyFish313
Dec. 24, 2009, 06:13 PM
Full board while you're gone, but none of the full service care charges.

mrslipstick
Dec. 24, 2009, 06:36 PM
Thanks everyone! This is the first time I've used TCOH Forum and I'm so happy you took the time to respond. You've helped to clarify things for me as this is our first time going to WEF. Happy Holidays to all!

Hunter/JumperMom
Dec. 24, 2009, 08:40 PM
We pay a reduced fee at home, I think maybe 300 - 375 a month for the stall at home, plus all WEF fees. January, February and March. Unless your horse went down earlier, many went in November.

pinkme
Dec. 24, 2009, 09:36 PM
When the whole group of us go, we do not pay board at home. There was enough horses going and empty stalls at home that there was no worry about our stalls being filled to taken by people on a waiting list or something.