PDA

View Full Version : RIP NZB Gandalf

Surviving the Dramas
Dec. 23, 2009, 08:13 PM
Not sure if this has been mentioned on here yet but Mark Todd's 2008 Olympic mount NZB Gandalf has been humanely PTS following neurological issues :(

My thoughts go out to Angela Lloyd who produced him through to Advanced, Mark and everyone else associated with this awesome horse. What a crappy way to end 2009 for them :cry:

IrishWillow
Dec. 23, 2009, 09:42 PM
Oh, no! He's the big grey, right? Lovely horse

FoxChaser
Dec. 23, 2009, 09:55 PM
Oh noooooo!!!! The end of the year has sure been a hard one on horses- Cooper and now Gandalf?! I was so happy to see Mark Todd back out there again... Damn.

bambam
Dec. 23, 2009, 10:19 PM
That is a shame
He was a beautiful horse
I also really wanted to see Mark Todd go at WEG

gladys
Dec. 24, 2009, 09:34 AM
This is a real shame. They were a wonderful partnership.
Complete article:
http://www.barnmice.com/group/everythingeventing/forum/topics/mark-todd-loses-olympic-horse

Foxhall
Dec. 24, 2009, 04:23 PM
That is so sad!

flyingchange
Dec. 25, 2009, 11:44 AM
What a shame. Such a beautiful horse. Remember how he made the XC at the Olympics look like a hunter course? So flowing and seemed to jump everything out of stride.

kookicat
Dec. 25, 2009, 04:31 PM
That just sucks. My thoughts to all of his people.

ellebeaux
Dec. 25, 2009, 04:46 PM
Oh, I'm sorry to hear this.

Black Points
Jan. 2, 2010, 12:35 PM
Does anyone know any more details about Gandalf's neruological issues? Like was there a necropsy and do they know if the cause was a parasite getting into the brain? Any info?

I'm interested because my 3 yr old came up with neurological issues just before Christmas and he is still at Cornell. We tested him for everything we could test for (EPM via spinal tap, CT for brain tumors, EE, WNV) and all the tests were negative.

The conclusion is that it is a parasite that caused lesions in the brain or a degenerative problem but of course there's no way to tell unless you do a necropsy. No one seems to know of any horses with this problem who have recovered because they are usually put down fairly quickly and a necropsy done.

So it's an unknown if given the time and supportive care the horse would recover. Because my horse isn't getting any worse and seems to have a will to live, it's SO HARD to make a decision. My husband (bless him) wants to give the horse a chance (we bred him and he's everything I had wanted) so is willing to keep supporting him to a point. $$ is a problem if he has to stay at Cornell much longer...

So if anyone has any experience or info I'd appreciate hearing it.

Mary in western NY

HorsesinHaiti
Jan. 2, 2010, 02:07 PM
Aw, (((HHHUUUGGGSSS))) and prayers Black Points.

ica7059
Jan. 2, 2010, 02:21 PM
Blackpoint.....I don't usually post, but did want tell you about a horse I had five years ago who came up neurologic. He was nine years old and had all of the classic symptoms. I was hacking him about two weeks after he'd been around a two star, and his legs just buckled. We took him to the head neurologist at New Bolton and they too tested for everything disease, spine issues, full bone scan etc etc. They couldn't come up with a diagnosis. And this was one of the top doc's in the country. The horse walked like he had one too many cocktails, positive to "tail pull" test etc. The vet's advice was to turn him out for six month's and see what happened. Just let him "be a horse". After six months he looked much steadier on his feet but still walked with his head and neck low. We took him back to New Bolton for a "final" check before making a decision. The vet fully examined him and said "this horse is fine put him back to work." Although he had learned to walk with his head low because of whatever was going on at the time, he made a full recovery and went back to competing after some rehab. Hang in there and see what happens. Sometimes letting nature work do its work is the best answer.

Christa P
Jan. 2, 2010, 06:47 PM
Does anyone know any more details about Gandalf's neruological issues? Like was there a necropsy and do they know if the cause was a parasite getting into the brain? Any info?

I'm interested because my 3 yr old came up with neurological issues just before Christmas and he is still at Cornell. We tested him for everything we could test for (EPM via spinal tap, CT for brain tumors, EE, WNV) and all the tests were negative.

The conclusion is that it is a parasite that caused lesions in the brain or a degenerative problem but of course there's no way to tell unless you do a necropsy. No one seems to know of any horses with this problem who have recovered because they are usually put down fairly quickly and a necropsy done.

So it's an unknown if given the time and supportive care the horse would recover. Because my horse isn't getting any worse and seems to have a will to live, it's SO HARD to make a decision. My husband (bless him) wants to give the horse a chance (we bred him and he's everything I had wanted) so is willing to keep supporting him to a point. $$ is a problem if he has to stay at Cornell much longer...

So if anyone has any experience or info I'd appreciate hearing it.

Mary in western NY

I have a now 17 yr old TB that showed neurological symptoms as a 4 yr old. Based on some blood tests and his symtoms we THINK he had Neurological Rhino. He was unsteady on his feet, especially the hindquarters, and was unable to urinate on his own for ~10 days. He fully recovered and I trail ride him whenever I can.

He was treated with Bute, IV DMSO, and, while we were waiting for test results, a compounded paste to treat for EPM.

Unfortunately he injured his hindquarters as a 3 yr old so he never was 100% sound for competition, but he did recover from the neurological problems.

BTW, he had never been off the farm when he got sick - we think one of my driving ponies brought it hame from a show a few weeks before he got sick.

Christa

Black Points
Jan. 2, 2010, 07:40 PM
ica7059 and Christa P,

Thank you both for your positive feedback about your horses that recovered from neurological problems.

Actually, I have a 21 yr old NZ TB that had neurological issues this summer and recovered and we have no idea what caused his problem or why he recovered so quickly. In June, he was walking like he was drunk and crossing his front legs and listing to the left and very positive to the "tail pull" test too. Vet gave him bute or banamine (can't remember which) in DMSO via stomach tube right away and I kept him on dex for over a month and just turned him out as usual as he didn't appear to be in any danger of falling over. In 2 weeks he was pretty much back to normal.

This horse and my 3 yr old are turned out together and both of them have what I think are allergic reactions to bug bites. Their belly midline gets full of itchy sores and they lay down in the pasture like dogs and rub their bellies till they bleed. No matter what I do, I can't get rid of them but dex helps to control the itchiness.

On this forum, I read about the threadworm treatment using the double dose of Equimax twice, 2 weeks apart so I did that for both of these horses in mid July. Not sure it helped with the midline itchiness but if the neuro symptoms were caused by a parasite getting into the spine, maybe the double dosing did them in. Vets thought NZ horse's problem was in the spine.

Young horse is not walking same way as NZ horse. Still looks like a drunk but doesn't cross over his legs. Very unstable in turns and will sometimes lean back to try to balance and use the wall to steady himself. NZ horse never did that.

Regards the neuro Rhino...I of course asked about that and was told that he didn't present for that...no fever was one of the reasons but they admit that they really don't know. Everyone thinks that the 3 yr old is not stable enough to be out of a stall. Vet walks him for me to see and I don't notice that he tries to put his head down. I'm going down to see him again on Mon so will pay special attention to that. My guy has no trouble eating, urinating or pooping. Forgot to mention that we double dosed him with Marquis (EPM med) for the first 2 weeks (just in case) while we were waiting for the EPM results to come back. And he also had Ivermectin and the Panacure Power Pac of dewormers last week.

Again, thanks for the good news about your horses.

Mary in western NY