PDA

View Full Version : Off the Track Quarter horses?

Rescue_Rider9
Dec. 23, 2009, 12:53 PM
Just wondering how many people purchase off the track QH's to Event. I am not even sure where you would get them, and I know a lot of them go to Barrel racing homes, but I have a racing breed AQHA now and was just wondering who else has them for eventing... I mean.. they do have a TON of TB in them! haha

eventingismylife
Dec. 23, 2009, 05:15 PM
I have a friend that has one QH cross that is barely 15 hands (with shoes) that she took to training and could have done T3D with her too. She also has one QH filly that she is keeping for a prospect, and another that is 9 I believe that is also successfully going training, she looks just like a warmblood. I have no idea what if either of the last two were racing bred, but they are very nice. Hope I helped!

NeverTime
Dec. 23, 2009, 05:24 PM
In Texas, lopetx.org does the same thing CANTER does but has a section for QH's and other breeds (http://www.lopetx.org/horses-available/quarterhorses/). Right now looks like a bunch of older retirees, but I've seen plenty of young OTTQHs there, too.

fordtraktor
Dec. 23, 2009, 05:48 PM
I have a racing-bred QH that is a jumper, but he would be a terrific eventer. The first time I took him out XC schooling he easily did a wide range of prelim questions (he was doing 4'6 jumper courses at the time so the prelim jumps looked small to him). Dressage would be a struggle. He did not spend time on the track -- when I bought him he was a barrel racer.

I'm a huge fan of the Appendix -- mine is a powerhouse. I love the quarter horse butt. However, he does not have the quarter horse brain. Here are a variety of pics of him: http://pets.webshots.com/album/120919510IHNZMo

Meredith Clark
Dec. 23, 2009, 07:40 PM
I have a friend that really wanted an OTTB. However, she would not be a good match for most OTTBs.

We'd always joke with her that she should get an OTQH because if it took off with her i'd get tired and stop after a 1/4 mile or a OTSB because it would just trot away with her! :lol:

blaster
Dec. 23, 2009, 08:00 PM
By pedigree, isn't a racing QH allowed to be upto 15/16th TB?

PhoenixFarm
Dec. 23, 2009, 10:13 PM
We "acquired" one (by which I mean her former owner abandoned her here and disappeared after the economic downturn ate up his portfolio, and the courts then had her signed over to us).

She is AMAZING. She's come along very quickly, and will go prelim next spring if she doesn't sell. She's been in the ribbons at her last two Training events. The only thing that gives away that she isn't full TB are her size (15.1), her color (that dark liver color that seems fairly particular to QH's) and she's got just a touch more "back" (in the Sir Mixalot sense) than the average TB.

Great attitude, huge jump, and huge stride. The flat work has been challenging thanks to her having a stop off in a barrel barn between the track and us that got her pretty worried about the bridle, so it's been hard for her to trust being steady on the contact. Mr. PF loves her and would love to keep her for himself. Just as soon as that money tree sprouts, I'll let that happen. :lol:

You can see a video of her here. (http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=tCaR7P46fuU)

I'd love to have another one, just a bit bigger, LOL, but she's great.

badawg
Dec. 23, 2009, 10:19 PM
Yup, sure is! But, most of them aren't, FWIW. The QH's that you see that are mostly TB are the HUS bred types at are 17h+ monsters. At least, that's how it was ten years ago when I left the breed show scene, but from what little I've dabbled with, I don't think it's changed much.

Racing QH's still need their original power source! They were originally bred down from sprinting TB's. But, I don't know much about racing QH bloodlines other than they tend to be smaller and stouter, like a sprinting TB.

carrie_girl
Dec. 23, 2009, 11:36 PM
I have one. Mine actually raced. He came in second twice, and 3rd a few more times but never actually won. He is actually is a dressage barn reject because he was never quite mastered the changes to do 3rd level, so eventing dressage is easy for him. I took him Novice at one rec. event before I got pregnant and my priorities shifted. He is definitely more of a "kick" ride jumping (could be because he's a bit rusty from all those years doing dressage) than most of the TBs I've owned, but is quite forward and light off the leg in dressage. He does not at all look like a typical QH. He is 16.3 and has more of a warmblood build. It's the butt that gives him away! If you look at his pedigree he is just about half TB. He is such a solid citizen-- hard worker, no monkey buisiness. I give my 2 year old pony rides on him all the time. I would take another like him in a heartbeat! Here are some pics. http://good-times.webshots.com/photo/2976948440100130574dGDnLo

lifeofreilly
Dec. 23, 2009, 11:51 PM
My OTTQH is 16.3 and competed at prelim and one intermediate with good dressage scores. I don't know his race record- his tattoo is really faded...At 20 he is packing my daughter around baby novice...he has a very mellow personality but definitely remembers his previous life as a racehorse (when galloping in company) and as an UL event horse (on his way to the start box). He has a big rangy frame with legs like tree trunks, is tough as nails, wise as an owl, and I would clone him in an instant!

tx3dayeventer
Dec. 24, 2009, 12:17 AM
I have one! But mine is 100%QH not Appendix! She has white AQHA papers (versus yellow that are Appendix papers). Missy raced at Delta Downs in Louisiana. She wasnt super fast but ran in about 40 races.

She jumps 3'6" like it is 2'3". I have done the 3'6" Jumper course on her and schooled Novice and a few Training jumps. I havent shown her yet (due to $) but she is bold XC, amazing to ride, and jumps like she has springs in her feet.

Sithly
Dec. 24, 2009, 12:29 AM

Your video is private -- I can't see it. :(

ohhthatgirl
Dec. 24, 2009, 12:42 AM
Granted my guy is 16 now, but he was an OTTQH. He was born and raised in Orange, TX (breeder Virgle Spence). His pedigree is here (http://www.allbreedpedigree.com/intrepid+trey2), and that 1/4 TB definitely did him some good. After racing, Trey had a brief stint in barrel racing before becoming a 3'6 - 3'9 jumper for six years. Then I bought him, and we learned eventing together. He's a hot, but powerful jumper (http://photos-h.ak.fbcdn.net/photos-ak-sf2p/v12/205/42/1113600518/n1113600518_30003569_3325.jpg). Definitely taught me how to ride. :)

PhoenixFarm
Dec. 24, 2009, 02:15 AM
Your video is private -- I can't see it. :(

Wow, I had no idea that was even possible. I should have it fixed now. Guess I'm glad I responded to this thread, I had no idea that video had been set to private, LOL. My other one wasn't . . . very odd.

All fixed. Enjoy!

findeight
Dec. 24, 2009, 10:03 AM
I have one! But mine is 100%QH not Appendix! She has white AQHA papers (versus yellow that are Appendix papers).

Appendix can earn their permanent papers and convert to white if they meet a certain performance standard by a certain age. Once they do, their offspring would get the white papers.

If you pull you mare's 5 generation pedigree, you are going to see alot of TB.

We had a discussion about this over in Hunterland a few months back and found most of the successful QHs competing over fences in either Open or Breed shows had alot of TB.

It is a good choice on a budget and they make great horses.

RunForIt
Dec. 24, 2009, 10:06 AM
We "acquired" one (by which I mean her former owner abandoned her here and disappeared after the economic downturn ate up his portfolio, and the courts then had her signed over to us).

She is AMAZING. She's come along very quickly, and will go prelim next spring if she doesn't sell. She's been in the ribbons at her last two Training events. The only thing that gives away that she isn't full TB are her size (15.1), her color (that dark liver color that seems fairly particular to QH's) and she's got just a touch more "back" (in the Sir Mixalot sense) than the average TB.

Great attitude, huge jump, and huge stride. The flat work has been challenging thanks to her having a stop off in a barrel barn between the track and us that got her pretty worried about the bridle, so it's been hard for her to trust being steady on the contact. Mr. PF loves her and would love to keep her for himself. Just as soon as that money tree sprouts, I'll let that happen. :lol:

I'd love to have another one, just a bit bigger, LOL, but she's great.

I saw her on your website a few weeks ago and immediately wished ya'll were EAST again...

Chall
Dec. 24, 2009, 10:32 AM
I had no idea a racing quarter horses were not 100% quarter horse. Thanks for enlightening me.

RacetrackReject
Dec. 24, 2009, 10:39 AM
My old barn used to get some OTTQH every once in a while. To me, they were more fried and not as easy to restart as OTTBs, or maybe it was just the ones we picked up. Most people can get on their OTTBs and walk around in a reasonable fashion right off of the track. The OTTQHs we had were basically all wicked spooky at first, hot as hell, and just would not settle for quite a while. In the beginning (first 6 months or so) you could be walking around all nice and easy and one thing would change they just could not process it and would freak out. They were fantastic jumpers though.

We even had one that came from a H/J barn. When we asked why they were selling him, they said it was because he was too spooky over jumps 2'6" in indoor arenas so wouldnt' work out for they needed. It sounded like a reasonable explanation and we were eventers in Texas, so not many, if any, shows indoors. This guy was 9 or 10 and had been off the track for a while, but still was a bit quirky. You could be sitting on him, him looking like he was asleep, and before you could process what happened he would disappear so fast that you would land on your feet and he would be back at the barn before you realized he wasn't there anymore. He was a cross country machine though, if you could keep from having speed penalities.

DQ Eventer
Dec. 24, 2009, 10:43 AM
There are a couple in Area III. Linda Dreher has one, "Remington", who frequently wins at the preliminary level on his dressage scores! He's a machine! Another friend of hers also has one, but has competed primarily in dressage, though he's looking for a new home so that he can be evented more. A friend of mine in college had one also who ran through Advanced and was a superstar minus her terrible feet that were hard to maintain! They are definitely out and about, though often not recognizeable because of all of the TB blood.

findeight
Dec. 24, 2009, 10:49 AM
I had no idea a racing quarter horses were not 100% quarter horse. Thanks for enlightening me.

It has led to some disension and some splinter groups (Foundation QH etc.). But because the QH traditionally originated as a cross between TB and native stock, they have always allowed infusion of TB blood-but they have to earn their white papers either on the track or in the performance arena by earning a certain number of points by a certain age.

It can get confusing but it is interesting to look back and see how many of their most prolific sires found in many, many pedigrees (like Three Bars) carried Jockey Club papers and sired racing TBs.

If you know this and do a little research, you can pull a pretty good horse with a pedigree that says he can jump off the track.

NancyM
Dec. 24, 2009, 10:51 AM
My old barn used to get some OTTQH every once in a while. To me, they were more fried and not as easy to restart as OTTBs, or maybe it was just the ones we picked up. Most people can get on their OTTBs and walk around in a reasonable fashion right off of the track. The OTTQHs we had were basically all wicked spooky at first, hot as hell, and just would not settle for quite a while. In the beginning (first 6 months or so) you could be walking around all nice and easy and one thing would change they just could not process it and would freak out. They were fantastic jumpers though.

We even had one that came from a H/J barn. When we asked why they were selling him, they said it was because he was too spooky over jumps 2'6" in indoor arenas so wouldnt' work out for they needed. It sounded like a reasonable explanation and we were eventers in Texas, so not many, if any, shows indoors. This guy was 9 or 10 and had been off the track for a while, but still was a bit quirky. You could be sitting on him, him looking like he was asleep, and before you could process what happened he would disappear so fast that you would land on your feet and he would be back at the barn before you realized he wasn't there anymore. He was a cross country machine though, if you could keep from having speed penalities.

The race training for EXTREME speed will get you this type of horse. It is hard to undo, harder than the TB type of racing where some rating is done, the brain of the horse is engaged throughout the race to some extent. Racing QHs are so "wired" to get those quick starts and extreme speed that it is hard to get them to think about anything else. And the directed breeding for the "hair trigger" type of mentality can also be counterproductive in a riding horse. On the positive side, they've got the power, if the brain can be turned on to learning new things. QHs are famous for flipping in the starting gate at the track. They are so wired for speed that standing still for that amount of time in a restricted space signs their brain off into neutral. Several can be stuck under the gate, upside down, at once. More so than is usually seen with TBs.

islgrl
Dec. 24, 2009, 10:58 AM
I have a racing bred QH who never raced. He's 15.3, leggy and well balanced.

My plan is to event him, he's a fancy little mover, I think he's going to jump like a star and has already proven to have a ground-covering gallop. I haven't evented in 20 years and I think he going to have just the brain I need to ease me back in.

Rescue_Rider9
Dec. 24, 2009, 01:22 PM
Granted my guy is 16 now, but he was an OTTQH. He was born and raised in Orange, TX (breeder Virgle Spence). His pedigree is here (http://www.allbreedpedigree.com/intrepid+trey2), and that 1/4 TB definitely did him some good. After racing, Trey had a brief stint in barrel racing before becoming a 3'6 - 3'9 jumper for six years. Then I bought him, and we learned eventing together. He's a hot, but powerful jumper (http://photos-h.ak.fbcdn.net/photos-ak-sf2p/v12/205/42/1113600518/n1113600518_30003569_3325.jpg). Definitely taught me how to ride. :)

Looked at your pedigree! My horse goes back to Windy Ryon too! His son, Ronas Ryon, Won almost 2 million in his racing career! I was pretty impressed that I have his grand daughter! haha

http://www.allbreedpedigree.com/trys+alibi

ZiggyStardust
Dec. 24, 2009, 02:31 PM
My first horse was an AQHA mare. She had racing bloodlines, but never raced. She was incredibly athletic. She had that long sprinter's back, but was extremely catty with her feet, and had scope, scope, scope. She was only 15h, but I once saw her jump a 4ft rail from a standstill (trying to avoid the rails on the ground I was free lunging her over! - that was SO her).

I think her temperament was not terribly suited for eventing (pretty barn-bound on trails, not so bad on course), but we could have cleaned up at hunter shows due to her jumping style, if I had a clue what I was doing back then. This was almost 20 years ago now. Still miss her, my pretty, smart girl. I now have an OTTB, but my next horse might just be another AQHA gem.

ETA: She was also built like a brick house. Her only soundness problem was her crappy QH feet.

ThirdCharm
Dec. 24, 2009, 04:06 PM

The only place you find "100% QHs" (which as noted trace back to sprint-type TBs like Three Bars, too) are in events like Reining, Roping, Cutting, etc. Racing, Speed/Games, and English events are dominated by QHs with a large amount of TB in them, often fairly close up.

Jennifer

2010eventing
Dec. 25, 2009, 08:31 AM
I am looking @ an Appendix tomorrow, Merry Christmas :) does anyone have suggestions on what to look for?? Good or bad. This one is a 16.3 TB looking. I don't plan to go past Training Level HT's.... He's jumped a bit and done lots of trails. Never raced. Any advise would be great!!!!!!!

Rescue_Rider9
Dec. 25, 2009, 02:45 PM
I am looking @ an Appendix tomorrow, Merry Christmas :) does anyone have suggestions on what to look for?? Good or bad. This one is a 16.3 TB looking. I don't plan to go past Training Level HT's.... He's jumped a bit and done lots of trails. Never raced. Any advise would be great!!!!!!!

GOOD FEET!!!!!

Equine Adhesive
Dec. 25, 2009, 02:53 PM
I ride QH and TB racehorses at an exercise farm. Let me tell you...my least favorite horse there is a QH race mare. She is 16.1hh of roly-poly evil...with an innocent-looking face. I am sure she has little to do with the average QH who has raced, but I have this bad connotation and I do prefer to get on a TB. A lot of the race QH's there are not the nice little quiet QH's you might think of, haha. More like mind-blowing boomerangs, tough to rate, and like to go explodey! But of course, this is during a race career and they are high on grain with no turn-out. But still, as an exercise rider, I prefer the TB's, they seem sweeter overall and while athletically inclined (ie likely to buck/rear/take off), the TB's are generally more flexible. Just my experience so far.

Toadie's mom
Dec. 25, 2009, 03:55 PM
I had one. He ran once and they said he was almost lapped, haha. 16h, very good conformation, not really QHorsey looking and a really pretty head. Besides my Trakehners, he was the nicest mover I've ever had. I even had a dressage judge ask me once if he WAS a Trakehner. Unfortunately, he was a BIG chicken and just didn't work out for eventing. Mike Huber helped me sell him to a dressage person in AZ. The next year he was no. 1 in the country at 1st level for QHs.

shawneeAcres
Dec. 25, 2009, 06:17 PM
I have had several OT QH's and have one now. He is 17.2 (really!) and looks like a WB cross, of course he is appendix (as all of the ones I ahve had were), have had three or four others all great movers, big, nice jumpers and SUPER MINDED!!!