PDA

View Full Version : Goals for 2010?

Catalina
Dec. 22, 2009, 10:29 AM
What are they?

(Borrowed idea from H/J :D.)

KMErickson
Dec. 22, 2009, 10:42 AM
FODS (Finish on Dressage Score) on my new horse at Prelim :)

CookiePony
Dec. 22, 2009, 10:56 AM
I'm sure everybody already knows this, but... a T3D!!

bornfreenowexpensive
Dec. 22, 2009, 11:00 AM
keep vet bills under 10K for once....

Have a few solid Prelim runs on at least ONE of my horses....see vet bill issue.

Get barn and indoor BUILT.

meet nice/fun straight guy...oh wait, not a horse related goal!:D

mjrtango93
Dec. 22, 2009, 11:03 AM
meet nice/fun straight guy...oh wait, not a horse related goal!:D

Well technically if he can help with the barn/indoor issue, and drive a truck and trailer and/or tractor that totally counts!

bornfreenowexpensive
Dec. 22, 2009, 11:05 AM
Well technically if he can help with the barn/indoor issue, and drive a truck and trailer and/or tractor that totally counts!

if he can FIX a tractor/truck...even better...then he doesn't even need to be all that cute:winkgrin:

OneMoreForTheRoad
Dec. 22, 2009, 11:45 AM
I'm seconding the T3D and FODS
and consistently get dressage scores in the 30's :)

EventingChase
Dec. 22, 2009, 11:49 AM
I just moved my horse up to prelim last fall so I would like to get to complete a solid season of prelim and then hopefully get the little guy on the market so I can find him the perfect home and have he funds to go back and get my PhD. Easy to talk about selling the horse you love much harder to actually do!

curlykarot
Dec. 22, 2009, 11:58 AM
1. Show more than 2x.
2. Show enough to move back up to Novice.
3. Get through a couple of novices without any xc faults.

#3 will happen if the rider shows up to ride and doesn't just lean forward, look down and chuck the reins at horse's head :D

mcw
Dec. 22, 2009, 11:59 AM
Teach the coming 4 year old to jump.

Take him xc schooling for the first time.

Get off of the vet's speed dial list.

Rescue_Rider9
Dec. 22, 2009, 12:02 PM
My goals are to...

Take my crazy mare, Sapphire, to her first schooling event.
Later in the season compete her in her first recognized event and BN and SELL HER!!!!!

Take lessons with a new HIGHLY reccommended trainer!

Take my other mare to Midsouth and place at BN and move her up to novice by fall!!!

I believe thats about it!

midnightride
Dec. 22, 2009, 12:02 PM
stop paying for my vets kids collage.....

JWB
Dec. 22, 2009, 12:03 PM
Finish one year worth of Performance Label requirements for the BWP through eventing for my 4-yr-old mare and do some 4-year-old YEH classes with my trainer riding her. 4-yr-old YEH championships?

We'll see. All the local qualifiers are in February and my filly is a YOUNG 4 (end of May) She just did her 1st XC school last weekend and was fantastic but she's still REALLY green if they decide to pull the training level questions out in February...
http://www.facebook.com/photo.php?pid=3086352&l=9bba9d4832&id=665238181

Have this baby and get back on her myself!!!!!

foxhavenfarm
Dec. 22, 2009, 12:09 PM
Hmmm...
#1 Have no major medical emergencies for either myself or any of our horses

#2 Sell enough horses to be able to compete AT ALL this season

#3 If able to compete, be able to move Arty up to Training to try to qualify for T3D

#4 Get some of our homebreds out for the FEH

ohhthatgirl
Dec. 22, 2009, 12:18 PM
Just to be able to ride more than once a week and learn more. Get my basics back (ahem, seat back)! I've had a HUGE wake up call now that I'm on winter break. Muscle memory reaction time is slow, haha. Anything beyond that will be icing on the cake :)

ETA: Get fit for riding & for myself. Turbo kick and running, for sure. Would love to try yoga or pilates. Pass my H-B this summer and start prepping for the H-HM (to be taken in 2011/2012).

Trak_Eventer
Dec. 22, 2009, 12:19 PM
-T3D
-Move up to Prelim
-Would love to get those monster that live in the dressage arena at events to go away! Maybe then we can both chill out and I can have the horse I have in warmup actually in the arena!
-Learn as much as I can from my summer working student job
-And later in the season, figure out how to stay on top of riding in my first semester at college

subk
Dec. 22, 2009, 12:20 PM
if he can FIX a tractor/truck...even better...then he doesn't even need to be all that cute:winkgrin:
You are not kidding! Mr.subk jokes that I break stuff as fast as he can fix it. I joke that every time he fixes something he gets sexier! Let me tell you, he was an absolute calendar hunk when he fixed the hydraulic system on my tractor.

Oh yeah...my goals...2010...

Start Tate over fences and get to a few events.

Lone
Dec. 22, 2009, 12:31 PM
Goals for Next Year as of Oct.
- Do one Hopeful Mini-event in early spring as a refresher
- Get to as many Beg. Novice one-days and mini events as possible
- Hit a few local dressage shows at training level
- Do one recognized Beg. Novice event in late summer
- Do a novice mini-event or two in fall

Goals for Next Year as of Now.
- Get horse sound. :sadsmile:
- Pay off vet bills

KBG Eventer
Dec. 22, 2009, 12:33 PM
Go to an event again

Get back to Training. I would love to do a Training 3-Day, but I don't know if it's going to happen in 2010 or not.

Pass my HB in August and possibly the C3 in late October

Continue to learn and become a better rider. :D

Zephyr
Dec. 22, 2009, 12:35 PM
Get my new horse ramped back up to Novice where I left off with my old horse, HOPEFULLY do a Training by the end of 2010, and onward to the T3D in 2011!!!

Blugal
Dec. 22, 2009, 12:38 PM
Get off vet's speed dial list <-- I'll second that.

Try not to inherit any more unrideable horses.

Find a horse to ride, regularly, who is sound of mind & body and FUN.

Go to some clinics.

Compete if the stars align.

inquisitive
Dec. 22, 2009, 12:39 PM
- pay off vet bills

- keep Q SOUND
- try to move Q up to T, T3D would be lovely
- Area II Champs, AEC's and ATCs, either N (already qualified) or T
- get to at least one of the OTTB shows

- get my yearling (will be 2 next year) out to 'xc school' with his big brother
- take my '2 yo' to FEH and see if this growth spurt puts us anywhere but last :lol:

- hope my mare has a safe second pregnancy and delivers a HEALTHY foal this time :)
- take foal to inspection

ETA (can't believe I forgot!)
- get barn built and fencing complete
- move the horses home!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

- save for the wedding (which contradicts everything else)... phooey

Auburn
Dec. 22, 2009, 12:41 PM
1. Keep Vet bills under $14,000! (2009 was a really bad year. :()

2. FOD, with scores continuing where we left off at Team Challenge (27.5). Of course, maintaining them in the low 30's would be nice, too. :)

3. Get me fitter, so that I can try Novice.

4. Find the ability to sit the trot like I could back in the '70's, which is definitely linked to getting fitter.

lizajane09
Dec. 22, 2009, 12:44 PM
Get off vet's speed dial list <-- I'll second that.

I'll third that...

Also, improve the dressage (some scores in the 30's would be nice - not tripping and falling on our face because we were distracted by the stallion in warm-up would also be nice! :lol:), and if all the stars align do our first two-star :).

tarheelmd07
Dec. 22, 2009, 01:05 PM
- pay off vet bills
- keep Q SOUND
- try to move Q up to T, T3D would be lovely
- Area II Champs, AEC's and ATCs, either N (already qualified) or T
- get to at least one of the OTTB shows

I like your goals :D - it'll be great to have someone to hang out with at the OTTB show(s)

My 2010 goals are:
- keep the horses sound (2009 wasn't so good for that)
- get Surf back to training and make it to a T3D (while staying sound) - maybe at FENCE in april?
- get surf to a rated hunter show, in addition to keeping up with some jumpers throughout the eventing season
- Make it to one or more of the OTTB shows
- get to know the new horse...and learn from his experience
- have a solid season with the new horse at training...and get him to a T3D later in the year
- retire Huey from competiton :(

inquisitive
Dec. 22, 2009, 01:09 PM
- retire Huey from competiton :(

Poo :(

I'm dreading that this will happen to Q way too soon...

Catalina
Dec. 22, 2009, 01:24 PM

Ouch! :( Here's hoping you have a much better 2010.

inquisitive
Dec. 22, 2009, 01:28 PM

That was 2008 for me... :sigh:

Best wishes for a better 2010~

Catalina
Dec. 22, 2009, 01:29 PM
Goals: T3DE and, I can't believe I am saying this but, maybe a Prelim in the fall with Connor.

Get Spy jumping and going well enough to do a BN or two.

Try to find a way to not sell Mark and keep competing him.

Win the lottery, clone myself and channel Superwoman :winkgrin:.

But mainly, to keep my horses sound and sane and get to as many shows as possible without breaking the bank (or pissing off the husband ;)).

pegasusmom
Dec. 22, 2009, 01:54 PM
Help the YP have a solid and complete year at intermediate and successfully launch the little black Aussie mare at BN/Novice.

Continue to help husband's polocrosse horse improve and totally enjoy watching the YP with his new Argie mare - arguably one of the best polocrosse horses I have ever seen.

For me personally? Training level CDE in October at the Pinetree CDE. . . . Denny-limber up those fingers!!

tuppysmom
Dec. 22, 2009, 02:36 PM
Keep the little horse from self distructing before Rolex. He's been pushing his luck this week!

Get the big guy successfully thru a CCI*** and on to a new home.

Get the new kids up and running successfully around xc.

Keep the DD safe.

Help the DH have another good eventing year.

Pay off vet bills and mechanic bills from old truck.

Be thankful for and take excellent care of new truck.

jpalisades
Dec. 22, 2009, 02:53 PM
Hope everyone's goals/hopes come true in 2010:)

After taking most of 2009 off for Lyme treatment, recover, and vet bills with my gelding. I moved him up to Training (unreg. but solid courses) at the end of '09. So my goal for him is become solid, go to a T3D, and maybe move up to prelim. The idea of getting to go prelim once again is the best part;)

Then for my new 'sugar pie', aka Lady Zipster, the canter cutie... well get her started reschooling, then off to some schooling shows and xc schools, then hit the events when she is ready:D:D:D:D

My other goal is to help my students get to where they want to go in 2010. Some are going to qualify for USPC Championships and others the PA National Horse Show.

eventerwannabe
Dec. 22, 2009, 02:55 PM
My goals for 2010:

1. Work over the winter to become a better rider for my horse.
2. Have BN become boring so I want to move up to N.:lol:
3. Keep my dressage scores in the 30's.
4. Get rid of the time penalties on XC (yes, I had time penalties at BN.....sad I know:D)
5. Keep myself, my family, and my horse happy and healthy!!

tanderson
Dec. 22, 2009, 03:00 PM
Aiming for entering my home bred his first event, Starter Division in October (he'll be 4 1/2). Oh, and also want to enter him in the Canadian Performance Futurity for dressage, which will be the FEI 4yo Test at the Provincial Championships.

Also want to build the new barn off my indoor.:yes:

Foxhall
Dec. 22, 2009, 03:13 PM
Get a dressage score in the twenties, 29.9 is okay

Make the NAJYRC 1* team next summer

Shrunk "N" Da Wash
Dec. 22, 2009, 03:18 PM
Surrvive :lol::lol::lol:

Well actually I wouldn't mind getting around a training on my munchkin and some solid trainings on granny... Really I'm just itching to do something other than novice or below it's getting ridiculous! And if I want to get greedy I would really like to jump "a" prelim fence (or more that would be a +)... seeing as I haven't done that in a while to since I lost the munki man.

One thing I've learned is goals are either accomplished or demolished... So expect the worst and if you get more BONUS

purplnurpl
Dec. 22, 2009, 03:25 PM
Get the little man to the T3D and YEH5C at Galway.

Finish a HT at any level with my recovering alcoholic grey horse (hopefully I can keep him sober and out of trouble) with him still sound two days later...go from there.

And no one gets to cry. My drunk grey cost me a good 20K in 2008/2009.
So my #1 goal. Pay off CC.

meet CookiePony at Chatahoochee!!!

WhyGeorgia
Dec. 22, 2009, 03:25 PM
My goals for 2010:

1. Work over the winter to become a better rider for my horse.
2. Have BN become boring so I want to move up to N.:lol:
3. Keep my dressage scores in the 30's.
4. Get rid of the time penalties on XC (yes, I had time penalties at BN.....sad I know:D)
5. Keep myself, my family, and my horse happy and healthy!!

These are the exact same goals I set for myself! Yes, I also have time penalties at BN:lol:!

ddashaq
Dec. 22, 2009, 03:32 PM
Complete a BN without myself or my horse having a meltdown. I am the one most likely to let the side down as I have nearly paralyzing show nerves. Sad but true!:yes:

clivers
Dec. 22, 2009, 03:35 PM
Goals for 2010 in descending order of priority and in chronological order:

1. Get at least 2 horses to Aiken in March and enjoy our first family trip away from the farm since we moved here in 2007!
2. Get fit enough to deserve to take above horses to Aiken in March (DD is 2 and I'm still lugging around "baby" weight!!)
3. Get Soxers rehabbed (suspensory) and back in work.
4. Start the season at Training on Sox and Cupid and assess.
5. If ready (me, not them - they're solid!) move up to Prelim on 1 or both of the above.
6. If ready, do a fall 1* on one or both of the above horses.
7. Finally figure out what I'm doing with Beeg - hand over to a pro vs. campaign him myself vs. career change (for him, lol!).
8. Stay up past 9pm on a weekend at least once a month! :)

bornfreenowexpensive
Dec. 22, 2009, 03:40 PM
And no one gets to cry. My drunk grey cost me a good 20K in 2008/2009.
So my #1 goal. Pay off CC.

Oh...not crying. Mine have cost me FAR above the 10K I'd like to stay under in 2010....for more that a couple of years. I'm really afraid to look at the actual number. It is really scary how fast it all adds up.

REALLY should have gone to vet school....

sounds like there are enough of us to start our own clique.....but it is one that we would be thrilled when we no longer fit in:lol::(:lol:

KBG Eventer
Dec. 22, 2009, 03:44 PM
FODS (Finish on Dressage Score) on my new horse at Prelim :)

Off topic + I promise I'm not a stalker, but I love your blog! Ringo is adorable. I had never looked at the other one with the pictures until today. They are gorgeous. You have done a lot of cool stuff!

Mtn trails
Dec. 22, 2009, 03:51 PM
1. No major vet bills
2. Compete recognized at B/N and hopefully place well enough with an eye to going novice in 2011.
3. Lose 20 lbs.
4. Increase fitness (see 3 above)
5. Ride more than 1x a week that I do now even though I have to haul out.
6. Re-learn sitting the trot
7. Win a million dollars.

scubed
Dec. 22, 2009, 04:05 PM
Compete my Finger Lakes Youngster, hopefully through Novice
Compete at training and maybe prelim on leased/borrowed horses
Get a dressage score on any horse under 34 (so far my best score ever)
Work hard on improving my dressage riding

RiverBendPol
Dec. 22, 2009, 04:25 PM
1. Get to Aiken
2. Get around Sporting Days Feb. 7th (entry went in today!!:eek:)
3. Have a happy, healthy horse loving his job
4. Move up to Training before time in Aiken is done
5. Happy, healthy horse continues on to GMHA T3D!!!!!!!!!

asterix
Dec. 22, 2009, 04:32 PM
1. Get my lovely big horse finally fit and sound again, no ifs ands or buts (bilateral suspensories, followed by massive kick to hq, abscess, now his hocks are acting up.....it's been a long 18 months).

2. Get both horses out at Training this spring

3. Ride my dressage tests consistently at a level at least within shouting range of how we do at home when no one is looking.

4. Develop and stick to a proper warmup time/routine so #3 has a fighting chance of happening.

5. Bonus goals: T3d for the baby horse, and prelim again with the big horse.

6. Extra bonus goals: making time on both horses in #5 (hey, they are big, have to learn how to go fast...)

7. Have mr. asterix continue to enjoy riding and expand his comfort zone on the baby horse.

hopashore1
Dec. 22, 2009, 04:42 PM
T3D and move up to prelim before ending my fun year and going back to graduate school.

dixiedolphin
Dec. 22, 2009, 04:54 PM
I'm a re-rider, so my first goal is to get myself back into the riding form I had a decade or so ago when I had to stop riding seriously. The plan is to engage in as many rigorous lessons as possible, update my personal riding gear (which still fits, but is a bit brittle with age), and otherwise improve my riding as best possible.

Once I'm solidly back up where I need to be as a rider, hoping to possibly get out to at least one competition this year, my first in over a decade!

My other goal is to get out of DEBT. Credit cards & loans should, if all goes as planned, be paid off by August. The truck will be paid off by 2012, though. But once the majority of my debt out of the way, I can start shopping around for a horse of my own finally.

Blugal
Dec. 22, 2009, 05:01 PM
I made a major omission!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

Apparently my new, cute vet is single. There is an obvious 2010 goal flowing from that... :lol:

bornfreenowexpensive
Dec. 22, 2009, 05:06 PM
I made a major omission!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

Apparently my new, cute vet is single. There is an obvious 2010 goal flowing from that... :lol:

Oooo....a vet and or farrier is just about as good as a guy that can fix your truck or tractor. They don't even have to be all that cute to get our attention:lol: Good luck on that goal!!!!

OneDaySoon
Dec. 22, 2009, 05:07 PM
1. Find a 'cheap' hotel for WEG. Failing that, an empty bleacher.
2. Ride in the same move-up division with NowonCourse and Asterix (may our mutual pony and personal health prevail)
3. Make Mythical proud of Oscar (her field-find for me).
4. Watch PharmGirl go 'round BN and N on Moosetracks.
5. Clap for GreyDun when she wins an Oscar-type award for her great work for USEA and US eventing. (Josh included too).
6. Cherish every healthy step and breath my pony takes me on in 2010.
7. Be able to sit trot long enough to finish a prelim test (how pathetic is that?)!
8. Find Mustang51 in a haram of vivacious, wealthy young vixen eventers committed to his eventing successes
9. Encourage hubby to spend more time fishing so I can spend more guilt-free time riding
10. Tell the Big Man (not Asterix's horse) where to go and at what speed and never, ever live to regret it.

That's all. Best to all of you in the wonderful New Year.

Coeur*de*Cheval
Dec. 22, 2009, 05:22 PM

WakeRider
Dec. 22, 2009, 05:49 PM
Run the pony in some Advanced events! See what he's got.. maybe shoot for Fair Hill CCI*** in the fall! (i'm not supposed to say these things out loud)

If baby horse doesn't get sold he'll be going to long format CCI* in Virginia

Lets just hope the pocket book can support 2010 :eek:

HER
Dec. 22, 2009, 05:54 PM
Make time at prelim.
Make time at prelim.
Etc...
(maybe consider 1* and Intermediate if that happens :) )

hopashore1
Dec. 22, 2009, 06:11 PM
I like your goals :D - it'll be great to have someone to hang out with at the OTTB show(s)

My 2010 goals are:
- get Surf back to training and make it to a T3D (while staying sound) - maybe at FENCE in april?

that one's my goal...we should do it together!

Smufy3DE
Dec. 22, 2009, 06:21 PM
humm goals..

Realistic goals:
Finish CCI** in spring
Jump around clean at Fairhill CCI**
Win an Intermediate

Sell some ponies

and just enjoy life and my horse, bf might be nice

Heinz 57
Dec. 22, 2009, 06:26 PM
First and foremost: Get my greenie going solidly o/f. She's comfortable trotting 3'3"+ singles and in grids, but we haven't done ANY course work except for poles, and those are gravy.

Dependent on Goal #1 coming to fruition...

- Get out to some local H/J shows for practice, exposure, and hopefully mild success.

- Plan a million XC schooling trips as soon as footing permits.

- If the above goes well, hopefully get to greenie's first recognized BN by fall.

- Continue our success at dressage shows, with a hopeful move up to first level by fall.

But mostly, I just want to feel like we are really PREPARED for whatever showing endeavors we embark on.

eventingismylife
Dec. 22, 2009, 07:19 PM
-Be able to jump physco pony AKA Tony over anything scary with bucks, runouts, rears, ect
-Take Lance BN at NWEC Mother's Day Classic
-Qualify for USPC West Champs in Dressage or SJ & Eventing
-Run Rebecca Farms at Novice
-Pass C2 (June) & HB (July) in Pony Club
-Keep both ponies sound
-Be able to confidently compete training at the Deep Creek Farms Derby (Deep Creek HT used to be there) in June

Wow thats kinda scary Coeur*de*Cheval, you pretty much read my mind...

Okay dokay my goals are (chronological order):
1.get ISH eventing prospect - by the middle of Jan.
2.get mare going over fences and start going BN reg.
3.go novice at Rebecca
4.qualify for USPC Champs in Eventing this year
5. Finally get C1 and C2 in PC
6.qualify for eventing champs in BN w/ above horsie
and overall go to as many events and shows as possible this year, last year was a HUGE bummer. And no more giant vet bills!

fanfayre
Dec. 22, 2009, 07:35 PM
1) Sell nice ISH eventing prospect, so
2) pay all outstanding bills and get out of debt
3) Watch my AFR youngster turn 2
4) Maybe get some catch-rides to stay in the game or take to some clinics

eventingismylife, you should pm me! I may be able to help you cross off #1 on your list;):)

fanfayre
Dec. 22, 2009, 07:39 PM
Blugal, you should pm me too, I might be able to help with your list too!:winkgrin:

Liebe-ist-Krieg
Dec. 22, 2009, 07:40 PM
hmmm...
-Begin again where I left off this fall with a successful season at Intermediate which would include (hopefully!)
---completing a CIC** this spring and a CCI** in the fall (if the stars align maybe the CCI** in the spring, but I would be quite happy with fall!)
-AEC's @ Intermediate (its only an 1hr from home, I must be able to go!)
-Complete (successfully of course!) 1 (just 1!) Advanced, to wrap up special K's career.
- Help keep my trainer's horses sound, fit and competing as well!

All of this is contingent of course on keeping the pony sound and able to compete at this level, which is becoming a bit more difficult as he turns 16 this year! I was incredibly lucky in 2009 though so lets see if I can hold out for 1 more year.:)

asterix
Dec. 22, 2009, 07:44 PM
OneDaySoon, I love your goals!!!
We have a (not cheap) hotel room for WEG, but it is packed *several* eventers deeper than we have beds as it is...but if anyone has to cancel, I'll let you know!

cranky
Dec. 22, 2009, 07:45 PM
I feel like I reached so many of my 2009 riding goals that I don't really want to be too greedy with my goals for 2010.

2009 was my first real year of competition of my "new" riding life. Previous competition experience was almost 30 yrs ago and never at the sanctioned level, that I can remember anyway. So just completing 3 sanctioned events this year happy, confident (with a happy & confident horse) and even placing in two of them was huge to me.

With that all said, here are some goals for me for 2010:

* 2009 my goals were to start competing, maybe accomplish one sanctioned event, don't get eliminated, don't scare myself or my horse too much. For 2010, I'd like to do the same, but I want to feel more confident and a little more driven & competitive.

* Improve my dressage. For most of 2009, I felt that I was terrible in all things dressage and it always overwhelmed me a bit. I need to work on balance and I need to have softer hands. I have to be more decisive with my aids, but at the same time lighter. I need to take advantage of Dressage clinics and any opportunities that allow me to gain additional perspective and experience in this area.

* I think my jumping position and my ability to "ride" my horse through a course improved the most this year. I'd like to build on that, be braver, trust myself and my horse more and learn to let go.

* I need to be able to better recognize pace when jumping, especially in stadium. I need a better feel when more forward vs. a check is needed. I don't always figure this out at the right time.

* I am another one who has had time penalties at BN (oh, the shame!) That needs to stop. Now.

* Listen to my trainer and don't whine, complain, or come up with excuses of why I can't do something. Trust her when she says I am capable of a (fence, a course, a new XC obstacle, a new height, whatever) that I can do it. Don't question it, just do it.

* At least do some schooling N. If it goes well and my trainer thinks that I'm ready, have the courage to enter N division at some point.

* Strive to ride 6x a week, but no less than 4 (not sure how that holds up for my on-call weeks, but I'll have to work something out).

* Improve fitness. Minimum of 3x a week of some non-riding work (running or spinning class or whatever). Work on being able to sprint (and by sprint I mean a 10 min. mile -- HAHAHA) for 4-6 mins at a stretch -- work up to 6 mins anyway. I feel that if I can run a strong (for me) pace for 6 mins, I will not be gasping for breath so much on XC 2/3 of the way through. Although, I guess I can't simulate the adrenalin factor.

These are the initial 2010 goals that I've been thinking of. I'm sure more will pop into my head, but these are a start.

Piatt Farms
Dec. 22, 2009, 07:52 PM
**have both of my foals without any major medical expense (it's my first time...so cross your fingers)
**go to as many horse events locally as possible so I can figure out what type of sport I'd like to train towards
**take actual lessons on above mentioned sport once it's decided upon
**DO NOT TAKE ON ANY MORE HORSES/DOGS/CATS/TURKEYS/etc
**DO LOCATE as many "horse care" items as i can find for my neighbor who is taking care of all the local "rescues", so I am not tempted to try to help by adopting one of them

Wee Dee Trrr
Dec. 22, 2009, 08:02 PM
goals for 2010:
Take my green bean to his first event and maybe maybe maybe go novice by the end of the year. :D
Otherwise, just have fun with this pony and enjoy having an easy-going horse for the first time in years.

Ritazza
Dec. 22, 2009, 08:06 PM
The goals....
- Get through tendon rehab with all body parts intact (human and equine)
- Move up to Training and kick some BOOTAY
- Hopefully hopefully make it to the AECs and kick MORE BOOTAY!
- Go SWIMMING at the beach with my mare
- And so much more....
and also....
- Have some serious fun while doing it all!

Flipper
Dec. 22, 2009, 08:15 PM
My main goal is to get back to where I left off of my goal list last year before my horse became lame.
That said :
1) Increase his fitness (now that I'm armed with Hilary Clayton's "Conditioning for Sport Horses ' book I know what to do with this heartrate monitor)
2)Get back to competing at Training level, starting with a Novice event & back to our prior level of competence so that we can...
3)Compete in the GMHA T3D!

Now I know why those that can, have more than 1 horse to work with!
So, if I can: 4) Find more land (where I can actually train...)
then another goal is to : 5) Find a second eventing partner to start working with.

tarheelmd07
Dec. 22, 2009, 09:27 PM
that one's my goal...we should do it together!

that would be great, especially since FENCE is a LONG way from the farm :D Questionable if Surfie will be ready...but there's always the new horse (but maybe we should, you know, jump an actual xc fence before I go making plans...)

owen should come to the OTTB shows with surf...good location, and lots of stuff!

Divine Comedy
Dec. 22, 2009, 09:49 PM
First, to use the winter to become improve dressage. Would like to be scoring consistently in the low thirties at USEF events and high forties at FEI events at CIC* this year.

Confirm the shoulder in and leg yields. Begin learning travers, turn on the haunches. Work on quality of walk, free walk, extended walk.

Begin experimenting with a double bridle.

Jumping wise, I want to learn not to jack knife over the fences. Try to get Dante to go more in a frame between fences.

Conquer Maui Jim! 2008 I had such a long warmup that the actual test was a total disaster. 2009 I had my best dressage test ever, followed by me skipping a fence during an otherwise completely clear XC. Would like to put all three phases together for 2010.

Be competitive in the Prelim Amateur division at the AEC's. (Already qualified! :D)

Move up to Intermediate after the AECs at Greenwood and Holly Hill, if all goes well throughout the year.

LEL
Dec. 22, 2009, 11:33 PM
Just three major goals this year:

1. Start Gus. Again. Correctly.
2. Get my record book updated (don't tell my DC.)
3. Graduate from TAMU. December 2010 y'all! WHOOP!

slp2
Dec. 22, 2009, 11:35 PM
This will be my first year I have goals for two! :D

Keep my teen aged mare sound so she can continue to be a wise and brave role model for my new 3 year old. I would like to continue competing her too--with FODS goals at Novice or OKTFWTP at Training (Ok To Finish With Time Penalties)

Cheer DeltaWave on while she competes her new spotted boy.

Get the 3 year old out to see the world (she will be 4 in June). First x-c school and other adventures. Planning to enter her in the YEH for 4 year olds this summer too. Hopefully they won't hold it against her that she is a mare!

Come up with a show name for the above mentioned 3 year old.

Manage to afford all of the above

toeknee
Dec. 23, 2009, 07:46 AM
1.)get married:D
2.)not feel guilty for giving the ponies an extended winter/spring break while planning/enjoying #1:winkgrin:

mythical84
Dec. 23, 2009, 10:07 AM
1) Sell Harry (see my 2009 Reflections post for details)
2) Leg up the Princess Lissell and see if we can hunt a little
3) Help Pharmgirl get to a few events with Mr Moosetracks
4) Maybe find a new horse depending on what Lissell decides she wants to do with her life
5) Continue building up Mythic Landing Events

badawg
Dec. 23, 2009, 10:37 AM
1) Get miss thing to as many N events as possible, but I have 3 rec. events planned

2) Finish on my Dressage scores

3) Dressage scores in the 30's which is my issue, not miss things. I apparently forget my brain in warmup, so I need to work on a strategy to keep myself thinking and riding when riding my tests. :)

4) Begin schooling T and enter an unrec. T event at the end of the season for fun!

pharmgirl
Dec. 23, 2009, 11:24 AM
Aww, OneDaySoon, thanks for including us!! I ditto asterix's statement- love those goals!

Here are some of mine, in no particular order:

-Have a sound horse that can go out and start competing again.
(like asterix, we've had bilateral hind sups. rehab along with a wrecked SI, getting caught in a gate during rehab, then saddle fit hell while I was broken so not so much good ride time then, rain rot from hell this fall, now a wacky stifle from some above issues)

-Have a non-eventful recovery from hardware removal in my right elbow. Hardware has worn out it's welcome and will come out Jan. 8. (initial injury happened in Feb. 09 just as my horse was coming back. It was obliterated and I am lucky to have done so well after that surgery)

-Compete in a full three phase on my horse for the first time (got him at the end of 06 and have not done a full 3 phase event yet on him- see above).

-DO NOT break anything! (can apply to myself, mr. pharmgirl, critters, nowoncourse, anyone really) :D

faluut42
Dec. 23, 2009, 11:42 AM
1. Have a succseful season at prelim.
2. have horse stay sound at prelim.
3. be able to afford above 2...

oh and 4. get a saddle so i can accomplish 1.

Ruperman
Dec. 23, 2009, 11:48 AM
move up to prelim, with dress scores in 20s and do a long format one star!! so excited about 2010!

get my B and HA

oh, also gradate from college in August :)

ValleyMiss
Dec. 23, 2009, 12:32 PM
I was just thinking about my 2010 goals yesterday.

~Successfully compete at beginner novice with Naughtie (Finish on our dressage score)
~Move Naughtie up to novice by the end of the year
~Become solid at first level with Kaye
~Take Kaye to some dressage shows and combined tests
~Be comfortable jumping 3' courses
~Take X to a schooling show
~Work to overcome my own fears and confidence issues (I know this is something that I will struggle with all my life, but I will be happy if I can make some real progress)

Mtn trails
Dec. 23, 2009, 02:34 PM
-Be able to jump physco pony AKA Tony over anything scary with bucks, runouts, rears, ect
-Take Lance BN at NWEC Mother's Day Classic
-Qualify for USPC West Champs in Dressage or SJ & Eventing
-Run Rebecca Farms at Novice
-Pass C2 (June) & HB (July) in Pony Club
-Keep both ponies sound
-Be able to confidently compete training at the Deep Creek Farms Derby (Deep Creek HT used to be there) in June

Hey! We'll be competing against each other at the Mother's Day Classic. Where is Deep Creek Farms?

yellowbritches
Dec. 23, 2009, 04:42 PM
I won't call any of these goals, since the eventing gods hear words like "goals" and "plans" and decide to punish you for having goals and plans. Instead, I'll just say these are some of the thoughts and ideas I have for the upcoming year.... ;)

In no particular order:

Move Vernon up to prelim and compete there successfully and competently.
Produce the quality of work in the dressage out of Vernon at shows that I get at home (he's a good boy, but suffers from a bit of stage fright and gets tense).
Continue plucking away at my position flaws and get better at squeezing every possible point out of every possible movement.
Build on the huge improvements I made in my show jumping from this past year and try to get it down pat so I don't feel like my head is going to explode by the end of a round. ;)
Never, ever hear again at the end of a round, "Well, that was crude yet effective." :o
Build on my horse's fantastic boldness and instincts on xc...or, in other words, DON'T SCREW HIM UP!
Hopefully do a CIC* at some point in the year.
Hopefully do a classic three day at the prelim level in the fall.I think those more or less cover the very horsey ones. I have a few others that don't necessarily seem horse related, but do have a huge impact on my riding. They are:

Get a set of abs like my friend has (in other words: CORE WORK!!!!). This is a slight vanity but is way more about the core strength I want and need...both for my riding and my bikes.
Ride my bikes more (because I love riding them but also because I want to be fit, fit, fit for my horses).
FINALLY do the century ride (100 miles on a bike) that I've been wanting to do for a few years (so close this past year).
Try this running thing on for size and maybe try my hand at a couple of the low key trail running races in the area (see fit, fit, fit).
MORE YOGA (see those pesky position faults. I KNOW yoga helps them).
BETTER EATING (better food means better energy).Good luck everyone! :yes:

Hey Mickey
Dec. 24, 2009, 12:00 PM
Well, 2010 is going to be a big year for us, if I can get the funds together... which would be the only thing holding me back.

1. Start Bartending at job #2 so I can work later into the night, thus making more money, because "days" are spent at the barn and school, evenings are at Job 1 and sometimes Job 2. So it only seems fitting that I work later into the night at Job 2 to make more money.

2. Continue to improve our dressage. Its there. I do have a dressage pony. I do. I do. I do.

3. Learn to ride a dressage test well.

4. Re-attempt prelim.
5. If that goes well do a P3D. or if I don't have the funds, and if prelim becomes a breeze, think about moving up to Intermediate.
6. Go to area 8 champs, if we qualify (really low on goal list)

7. Begin starting my coming 2 year old, future eventer, under saddle (you get to the getting on stage, hop on once or twice, then throw her back out in the field)

8. Continue to be in awe of my awesome little TB, Mickey, and wish wish wish that Toldya was going to be 4 not 2..

Oh, and then there is the whole do well in school, get my act together to tack summer classes and maybe meet a boy with a nice truck.. (although with the above goals, that may be impossible)

denny
Dec. 24, 2009, 05:13 PM
1. Move Union Station up to preliminary

2.Do some jumper shows with Loftus Fox, as well as some prelim events, so I can get closer to my goal of 50 consecutive seasons of competing at preliminary or higher (2010 will make 49)

3. Compete in the 75th Anniversary GMHA 100 mile trail ride in Sept, on a Morgan that Liz Gesler is going to let me ride.

4.Ride any of the babies, Skybreaker or Atti or Simply in some starter trials, like Hitching Post or Huntington

5. Help some others get ahead with their own goals.

6. Stay sound enough to do the above

eventgroupie2
Dec. 24, 2009, 05:38 PM
2010 goals:
Ride Willie again and be able to go back to our dressage lessons.
No surgeries for anyone.

Tux61096
Dec. 24, 2009, 07:03 PM
Nope, no lofty goals being set here. Do you hear me Eventing Gods? Don't feel compelled to bring me back down to Earth, you can just focus your humbling energies elsewhere. . . really, nothing to see here.

Good luck to all the rest of you; you are all a braver group than I writing goals out in plain sight. (and clearly less superstitious) ;)

rideforthelaurels16
Dec. 24, 2009, 08:32 PM
Jump a REAL course with Dante - our indoor is too small!
Get respectable scores at First Level, tests 3 & 4.
Get back out on the competition circuit - and be a working student again!!
Get into a good college!!!!!!!

Divine Comedy
Dec. 24, 2009, 09:22 PM
Jump a REAL course with Dante - our indoor is too small!
Get respectable scores at First Level, tests 3 & 4.
Get back out on the competition circuit - and be a working student again!!
Get into a good college!!!!!!!

I have to tell you I follow your blog because:

1) I almost took a WS position at Windchase once upon a time, opted for another place instead.

2) The place I did work as a WS was home to a horse you know quite well, a chestnut mare named TJ...;)

3) Your horse and my horse share a barn name (Dante.)

So I hope you update your blog more next year, I would love to hear about your adventures!

4Martini
Dec. 24, 2009, 09:47 PM
Wow- everyone has great goals! This is fun to read.

My goals are pretty limited for this year. I need to bounce back from my recent C-Section and get myself and my horse who will be 21 and has had nearly a year off into basic riding shape. Figure out how to find time for new baby, full time job and horse. Make time to ride and enjoy my great horse.

Hevonen
Dec. 24, 2009, 11:34 PM
Not as ambitious as some of these (wow!) and I have to say I am of a mind with Tux61096 as far as superstition goes... but here are a few of my goals!

- Compete well at 1st level with scores in the mid 60's to lower 70's
- Compete in first hunter/jumper show and/or first event (I'm a dressage convert, so while I have experience jumping none of it is in the show ring yet!)
- Get my somewhat spooky TB through some x-country schooling
- Keep my guy sound, happy, and healthy!
- Get accepted to a great working student program

Non-horse (sorta) related goals:

- figure out college loans/begin payment
- Develop a good budget and STICK TO IT!

Whoo...

Coeur*de*Cheval
Dec. 25, 2009, 02:55 AM
Wow thats kinda scary Coeur*de*Cheval, you pretty much read my mind...

Okay dokay my goals are (chronological order):
1.get ISH eventing prospect - by the middle of Jan.
2.get mare going over fences and start going BN reg.
3.go novice at Rebecca
4.qualify for USPC Champs in Eventing this year
5. Finally get C1 and C2 in PC
6.qualify for eventing champs in BN w/ above horsie
and overall go to as many events and shows as possible this year, last year was a HUGE bummer. And no more giant vet bills!

Hayley I didn't get to look at your website but I'm guessing you were the one who was the SM for the Big Sky/Inland Empire Developing Horse/Rider SJ Team at the PCC? :)

Hey! We'll be competing against each other at the Mother's Day Classic. Where is Deep Creek Farms?

Deep Creek is just north of Spokane, WA

rideforthelaurels16
Dec. 25, 2009, 11:10 AM
I have to tell you I follow your blog because:

1) I almost took a WS position at Windchase once upon a time, opted for another place instead.

2) The place I did work as a WS was home to a horse you know quite well, a chestnut mare named TJ...;)

3) Your horse and my horse share a barn name (Dante.)

So I hope you update your blog more next year, I would love to hear about your adventures!

Now I feel bad for neglecting my blog! Perhaps I'll write an all-encompassing entry about my last few months there. That's so funny that you knew TJ; she's certainly a spunky little horse haha!

catmchorse
Dec. 25, 2009, 01:48 PM
I haven't sat down and really mapped out my year yet, but here are some goals that are probably going to make it onto the list.

1. Take 2-4 dressage lessons a month for several months, on either horse.
2. Take and pass my C-2 this spring or summer.
3. Ride Novice at Inavale's recognized HT in June. (Unsure on this one. I want to compete at N, but along with all my other summer-camp expenses, a recognized HT may be a stretch.)
4. Clean my tack more often! :D
5. Head out on regular conditioning trail rides once the weather turns nice.
6. Set a regular day of the week to school fences on my own and actually do it.
7. Finally, map out a detailed training and conditioning schedule from winter through summer to have us ready to eat up N and start schooling T. (!!)

I'm a little torn about goals to set with my mom's horse, McKinna. She is ridiculously fun, and was a fantastic backup when Pandora got a stone bruise just before my eventing camp over the summer. I hadn't taken her XC in about a year, and she was a total star. Took everything without a second glance and was still very perky and cheerful after three days of double lessons.

Problem is, I really don't have time to keep two horses up and running. And she's somewhere in her mid-to-late teens, so I don't want to just set her aside from jumping while I ride my own horse.

So I guess maybe my goal should be to make time to keep two horses up and running!

CdnRider
Dec. 27, 2009, 07:40 PM
-sell 3 y/o

-sell house/acreage

-buy horse trailer

-compete T3D at Rebecca Farms if they run one this year (but unfortunately dependent on WHEN the house sells!)

Kairoshorses
Dec. 27, 2009, 09:46 PM
I have a lot of goals, but I'll try to rein them in....!

1. Overcome my paralysis at ditch/brush jumps so that I can....
2. Compete successfully at Training level in Spring/Fall, so that I can.....
3. Qualify and finish a T3DE.

I'd like to improve my dressage, and learn to be "with" my horse more effectively, too. AND I'd really like for all of us in our extended family to stay sound....!

There you have it in a nutshell!

greyiscute
Dec. 27, 2009, 11:41 PM
1)Get the one Free Horse going Novice again/maybe Training and sell

2)Use that money to compete other Free Horse as much as my little heart desires. Move him up to Training early this spring, maybe do a T3D, and aim for Prelim in the fall (he's an ex-5 foot jumper...just needs to finish figuring out xc)

3)Get more lessons with Crazy Mare to figure out how to get her to canter like a normal horse so we can have fun at Novice and not end up dead last (exaggerating a bit) due to our wretched dressage score. i.e. break 40 please!

4)Don't accept any more free horses

5)Actually be able to sell my clients' horses. I'm so ready for the market to get better!

6)Finish getting my ICP certification

7)Do a good job of being the RIC for the South Region

8)Work on becoming a National Examiner?

9)Fix my barn. Fix my barn. Fix my barn.

Wow, this should be a busy year! :)