PDA

View Full Version : Moving On....Suggestions

VAevent
Dec. 22, 2009, 09:15 AM
I have a 5 year old TB mare who is physically unsuited to eventing. Sadly, she just can't seem to stay sound...due to foot issues which are related to her conformation. But she is kind, and nicely bred.

I am searching for a new job for her, and wondered if anyone had experience/recommendations with farms using mares for embryo transfer. I just want to do the best thing I can for this horse.

She currently has a quarter crack, so would not qualify for a therapeutic riding program, and is probably too young/giddy for that anyway.

Any ideas?

retreadeventer
Dec. 22, 2009, 06:57 PM
Question:
Is the quarter crack what you are calling "related to her conformation"?
Does she have a deformity that is leading to the quarter crack?
Is the quarter crack the thing making her lame?

I am surprised you are giving up on such a young horse. Quarter cracks are EASILY fixed, but as I say, I am not sure that is the whole story and that is why I am asking what is the conformation problem with regard to the feet.
:)

VAevent
Dec. 23, 2009, 06:03 AM
No, the quarter crack is just the latest in a series of ailments related to her RF.

ThirdCharm
Dec. 23, 2009, 11:35 AM
What is wrong with her RF (I saw where you said she had thin soles and a quarter crack on other threads, but nothing else)? Would she be sound enough to do dressage or something low-impact like that? Is it a problem where intensive (ergo ridiculously expensive) therapeutic intervention, shoeing, whatever, might be helpful, in which case giving her to a farrier or vet to see if they can fix her might be possible? I know a few people who have done that and the horses have gotten straightened out and gone on to useful careers.

Jennifer