PDA

View Full Version : Washing Machine Backing Up (HR)

Wellspotted
Dec. 21, 2009, 05:40 PM
The washing machine at our barn is right outside the rear wash rack (with a 4-foot-high wall separating them).

The washing machine has started backing up, and no amount of vinegar and baking soda has cleared it. Probably too many horse hairs and cat hairs on the saddle pads and things have clogged the drainpipe. The drain hose from the washer goes into a pipe down inside the barn wall that runs eventually to a septic tank. When the washer drum empties, the water flows out through the hose, which runs up the wall, does a U-bend, and then goes down into the drain pipe. That is where the water wells up and runs down the wall.

We're thinking of running an additional hose from the washer hose, across the floor to drain into the wash rack floor drain. This would be a temporary measure 'til we can afford a plumber!

Any other ideas? Anyone? Suggestions welcome!

TripleRipple
Dec. 21, 2009, 06:01 PM
Probably a longshot, but is it cold there or do you notice this more in the winter?

Until we built the rest of our house around it, our laundry room inside the garage had the pipes to the washing machine on the outside wall. Whenever it got cold enough, for quite a few days in a row in the winter, small amounts of water still in the pipes started freezing in our U-bend part.

If you are in a sun belt, and it is hair clogging it up, I am not sure what will help avoid that.

Wellspotted
Dec. 21, 2009, 06:24 PM
We're in the sunbelt. It has been cold here, but not what I would call really cold (unlike Michigan, where a friend of mine lives!)

Alagirl
Dec. 21, 2009, 06:35 PM
yeah, run a hose into the septic tank, just make sure you have that up and over going, or you might experience the machine draining while the water is still running.

You might need a plumber's snake, and/or some root digester. Not to mention some ridex...

endless possibilities for the mess to be clogged (ask how come I know....:()

JanM
Dec. 21, 2009, 08:09 PM
It is also possible that the clogs are in the pump not the hoses.

sk_pacer
Dec. 21, 2009, 08:13 PM
Pump could have cratered, more likely option since most stuff is filtred out before the water goes through the pump, and anything small enough will build up on the impeller and crater the pump.

ToiRider
Dec. 21, 2009, 08:21 PM
I'm not sure that I would want all of that hair dumping into my septic system. Hair is hard to break down, and it can clog your septic field. It is likely that the washer water would be considered "grey water" in your county and can be drained onto a field or into a ditch without going through the septic. If your wash rack drain is a grey water drain, you might want to use that all the time.

Wellspotted
Dec. 23, 2009, 11:33 AM
yeah, run a hose into the septic tank, just make sure you have that up and over going, or you might experience the machine draining while the water is still running.

You might need a plumber's snake, and/or some root digester. Not to mention some ridex...

endless possibilities for the mess to be clogged (ask how come I know....:()

How come you know? ;) (Honest question)

Thanks, everyone, for your replies! :)

pharmgirl
Dec. 23, 2009, 12:01 PM
The drain hose from the washer goes into a pipe down inside the barn wall that runs eventually to a septic tank. When the washer drum empties, the water flows out through the hose, which runs up the wall, does a U-bend, and then goes down into the drain pipe. That is where the water wells up and runs down the wall.

This won't help with the current clog, but it might help for the future. Can you get to that hose? If so, I suggest putting a lint trap on it and then you can replace that when the hair clogs that too much. We are on public, so no septic tank to worry about, but we would have the same issue.

The lint traps are a wire mesh tube that you attach to the bottom of the hose with a twist tie. it traps the lint, hair, etc but lets the water through (unless the hair gets too much for it to handle ;)). I've found them at Home Depot, Lowes, and now my grocery store carries them.

poltroon
Dec. 23, 2009, 12:07 PM
Our washing machine has a filter/trap in it. Have you checked for one of those and cleaned it?

Alagirl
Dec. 23, 2009, 04:08 PM
How come you know? ;) (Honest question)

Thanks, everyone, for your replies! :)

ROFLMAO, it's an ongoing problem I am afraid I won't be able to solve with less than a back hoe and a new field line....:eek::no:

I have flooded my laundry room a few times, poured many pounds of that blue root killer down that drain...:(

It's pretty simple, if the spill comes from the drain pipe, the washer is not clogged. :winkgrin:

Oh, and make sure if you use draino and lye and stuff that you put something back into the septic tank so it won't break down breaking down the solids.

WaningMoon
Dec. 23, 2009, 07:43 PM
I'm not sure that I would want all of that hair dumping into my septic system. Hair is hard to break down, and it can clog your septic field. It is likely that the washer water would be considered "grey water" in your county and can be drained onto a field or into a ditch without going through the septic. If your wash rack drain is a grey water drain, you might want to use that all the time.

REally , where do you live. Here in Vt that's a big no no. Landlord got fined $5000 and had to hire ppl to come and clean the field because he had the dish drain and shower going out to the field. The field turned a rainbow of colors in the spring, big nasty mess.

Robin@DHH
Dec. 23, 2009, 08:10 PM
Cheaper to buy copper sulfate sold for treating the feet
of livestock than having to repeatedly buy small bottles
of root killer for drains. Also, best drain cleaner I have
found is S-T Drain Cleaner which is fairly strong sulfuric
acid, made by Santeen. Also have had good luck
unblocking drain lines with a garden hose equipped with
a rubber device which inflates to block backwash and
water blasts the clog down the line. All cheaper than
calling a plumber.