PDA

View Full Version : Zenyatta works?

Maybeapril
Dec. 21, 2009, 02:59 PM
If Zenyatta is retired why do I keep getting works for her from Equibase? Did I miss something or do they just still have her at the track and are giving her some exercise?
In my fantasy...I think they are keeping her around to race against RA next year.:D

Equinoxfox
Dec. 21, 2009, 03:12 PM
WHAT retired.. :eek:
So is she off to the breeding shed then ?
do share .:yes:

Maybeapril
Dec. 21, 2009, 03:19 PM
Didn't her owners say that she was retiring after the Breeder's Cup win?

LaurieB
Dec. 21, 2009, 03:28 PM
She is retired, but she's still a very, very fit horse, so they're just working her to let her blow off a little steam.

Maybeapril
Dec. 21, 2009, 03:40 PM
Thanks LaurieB, I thought it was something along those lines.

Barnfairy
Dec. 21, 2009, 03:46 PM
Exactly what LaurieB said. Blood Horse or someother reported as much a little while ago. Z's retired but hasn't left the track yet --her caring owners don't want her to catch a chill in the Kentucky winter weather and think she'd be more comfortable staying in her familiar CA surroundings until spring-- so works are her energy outlet. If I find the story I'll come back and link to it.

tbracer65
Dec. 21, 2009, 03:47 PM
Surely they're not going to keep her at the track & keep working her & keep her fit before breeding. Makes no sense -- why keep a very fit horse ...very very fit if you're trying to let them down from fitness?? Let her out & be a horse ...actually retire her if that's still the plan. Also makes me think there's more to her 'retirement' than what's let out to be as they could just gallop her to 'let off steam' -- no reason to work unless you're keeping them fit for a reason...i.e. to race.

Nikki^
Dec. 21, 2009, 04:03 PM
Surely they're not going to keep her at the track & keep working her & keep her fit before breeding. Makes no sense -- why keep a very fit horse ...very very fit if you're trying to let them down from fitness?? Let her out & be a horse ...actually retire her if that's still the plan. Also makes me think there's more to her 'retirement' than what's let out to be as they could just gallop her to 'let off steam' -- no reason to work unless you're keeping them fit for a reason...i.e. to race.

I'm guessing because you cannot just throw a horse out to pasture that is that fit. You'll make them sick. Remember when Royal Kaliber had to be stall rested after his injury and he coliced?

They are perhaps keeing her fit and then slowly reduce the work load till she is ready to be bred and put in the pasture.

Barnfairy
Dec. 21, 2009, 04:06 PM
Surely they're not going to keep her at the track & keep working her & keep her fit before breeding. Makes no sense -- why keep a very fit horse ...very very fit if you're trying to let them down from fitness?? Let her out & be a horse ...actually retire her if that's still the plan. Also makes me think there's more to her 'retirement' than what's let out to be as they could just gallop her to 'let off steam' -- no reason to work unless you're keeping them fit for a reason...i.e. to race.Well, Z is awfully busy doing charity work (http://www.bloodhorse.com/horse-racing/articles/54386/zenyatta-helping-fellow-horses) and making appearances (http://www.breederscup.com/content.aspx?id=43407).

Here's the article I was referring to earlier, from the TB Times as it were: Zenyatta breezes to take edge off (http://www.thoroughbredtimes.com/racing-news/2009/december/07/zenyatta-breezes-to-take-edge-off.aspx)

Maybeapril
Dec. 21, 2009, 04:44 PM
Ha!! I love that picture of her, doing charity work!

LaurieB
Dec. 21, 2009, 04:50 PM
I do wonder, though, why she's doing timed works. I can certainly see getting her out on the track for exercise, even fast exercise, but why are they putting her name in with the clocker? :confused:

Maybeapril
Dec. 21, 2009, 04:54 PM
I do wonder, though, why she's doing timed works. I can certainly see getting her out on the track for exercise, even fast exercise, but why are they putting her name in with the clocker? :confused:

That's why I asked the question. I see where she would need exercise while still at the track. But, timed? Why?

lizathenag
Dec. 21, 2009, 05:01 PM
because she is Zenyatta!

If she ran by me, I would punch my stopwatch.

Sunny's Mom
Dec. 22, 2009, 11:38 AM
because she is Zenyatta!

LOL! Great quote!

LaurieB
Dec. 22, 2009, 12:18 PM
because she is Zenyatta!

I wouldn't. I'd just stand there and watch with my mouth hanging open. :lol:

Equinoxfox
Dec. 22, 2009, 02:03 PM
So are there any thoughts on who the Sire is going to be yet ?
;)

tbracer65
Dec. 22, 2009, 03:31 PM

Exactly --- I didn't mean (& reread my post, too) to just pitch her out in the field. They could gallop here & open gallop, whatever to let her down from fitness while she's still stabled at the track -- but doing TIMED works is not something you do to let them down....

...and to Nikki ... not EVERY horse will get sick being turned out while they are still fit for short periods of time for exercise or 'blow of steam'. Heck, a lot of horses get turned out in-between races for short periods of time. Matz turns his out, too, for ex.

Alibhai's Alibar
Dec. 22, 2009, 03:47 PM
From what I read, she is doing timed works to keep from tearing the barn down. December 26 is Zenyatta Day at Santa Anita. Perhaps they will start changing her schedule after the retirement ceremony?

LaurieB
Dec. 22, 2009, 04:16 PM
From what I read, she is doing timed works to keep from tearing the barn down. December 26 is Zenyatta Day at Santa Anita. Perhaps they will start changing her schedule after the retirement ceremony?

I think perhaps you're missing the point. Z can work as fast or slow, as long or short, as her connections want her too--all without putting her name in with the clocker to make the work official. There's no reason to have the clocker time her works and turn them in. That's what we're wondering about.

NEEDS A NAP
Dec. 22, 2009, 05:18 PM
I am a huge Zenyatta fan.

Just read that she finished second in AP female athlete of the year award voting, behind Serena Williams and ahead of Kim Clijsters.

nuts4cowboybutts
Dec. 26, 2009, 09:30 AM
Man alive, I'm a big Zenyatta fan!

I love her attitude. She knows she is great.

I couldn't get over how she practically does the Spanish Walk all by herself when she is showing off to the crowd around the paddock.

Zenyatta rocks!

Alibhai's Alibar
Dec. 27, 2009, 05:31 PM
I think perhaps you're missing the point. Z can work as fast or slow, as long or short, as her connections want her too--all without putting her name in with the clocker to make the work official. There's no reason to have the clocker time her works and turn them in. That's what we're wondering about.

Isn't it required to put the horse's name in with the clocker if the horse is working at that speed? I thought it was but perhaps it is different with each track.

texang73
Dec. 27, 2009, 07:26 PM
Isn't it required to put the horse's name in with the clocker if the horse is working at that speed? I thought it was but perhaps it is different with each track.

Yeah, usually, the trainer should put the name into the clockers... though we have had some try to sneak one in here or there (we usually catch the horse working and have the gap guy get us a name after they've worked "Jeff... found out who the gray is with the blue blinkers, it worked a good 4")... at least that's how it is where I work... BUT I could imagine since she is retired, maybe they turned a "blind eye" to her working? Who knows?

Laurierace
Dec. 27, 2009, 10:45 PM
Whether you have to record the work varies greatly by track. At Laurel you are lucky if you can even reach the clocker after about 9:15.

tuxtin
Jan. 6, 2010, 07:20 PM
She worked out today - read on another board that she was seen on the training track earlier in the week.

Zenyatta 01/06/2010 HOL Fast All Weathe 4.0 f 48.00 H 5
Zenyatta 12/21/2009 HOL Fast All Weathe 4.0 f 49.40 B 19
Zenyatta 12/07/2009 HOL Fast All Weathe 4.0 f 50.40 B 8

ivy62
Jan. 7, 2010, 09:57 AM
Are they really retiring her? HMMMMM?

dmj
Jan. 7, 2010, 03:00 PM
thanks for the links to her 'charitable work' love that she is 'helping' CANTER and others!!

Glimmerglass
Jan. 7, 2010, 03:36 PM
Are they really retiring her? HMMMMM?

Sherreff (or maybe it was Jerry Moss) said something to the press before the Breeders Cup that a couple of early 2010 races was "possible" before she truly retired. One could wonder if they're not keeping her primed just in case as match up with Rachel could be arranged and end the debate. However Rachel won't likely race, or be ready to, until March and I just don't see it working out.

For the record her NTRA bio does not list her as retired (http://www.ntra.com/stats_bios.aspx?id=30441) and that's reflective as of 1-6-10 ;)

Glimmerglass
Jan. 7, 2010, 04:47 PM
As noted this afternoon by the Daily Racing Form (http://drf.com/news/article/109970.html) (1-7-10)

Thursday, trainer John Shirreffs insisted that owners Jerry and Ann Moss have not deviated from their statement after she won the Breeders' Cup Classic on Nov. 7 - that Zenyatta was retired and would be bred in 2010.

But the longer she stays at Shirreffs's Hollywood Park stable, and the more workouts she records, the more race fans will speculate that she will run in 2010.

"That decision is Mr. Moss's and he hasn't said anything other than what he said after the Breeders' Cup," Shirreffs said.

Where Zenyatta and Rachel Alexandra could meet is also a matter of speculation, although both have raced at Oaklawn. Rachel Alexandra won the Martha Washington and Fantasy there last year, and Zenyatta won the Apple Blossom there in her only start outside of California. The 2010 Apple Blossom is scheduled for April 3.

tuxtin
Jan. 7, 2010, 06:46 PM
For the record her NTRA bio does not list her as retired (http://www.ntra.com/stats_bios.aspx?id=30441) and that's reflective as of 1-6-10 ;)

heee heee, but to be truthful it doesn't show Ventura as being retired either. now i'm not certain where Ventura is at the moment but as she was also recently retired i thought i'd look to see if she's had any workouts - nope :D

all in good fun :) keeps racing interesting :) and it is an interesting take on letting down a horse at the track :)