PDA

View Full Version : Belmont Stakes, kaput?

grits
Dec. 21, 2009, 12:47 PM
First I've seen of this ominous-looking news (http://www.huffingtonpost.com/2009/12/21/belmon-stakes-over-triple_n_399085.html). Maybe I've missed the related stories because I've been distracted by all the tumult here in Maryland?

haligator
Dec. 21, 2009, 02:20 PM
Hello Grits,
Thanks for the link to the Huffington Post. Arianna does like to work people up, doesn't she?

In my opinion, I think this is a bit of nonsense from a combination of sources. Of course NYRA is going to make ominous statements while their money troubles continue. Throwing in a bit of news that says (I'm paraphrasing here) 'the Belmont Stakes will not happen because of yadda-yadda-yadda' is a way to get everybody fired up and yelling at politicians in Albany.

This has been mentioned a lot over the years as a threat. The Belmont Stakes will continue on - I just don't see any possibility of NYRA dumping it. No way, no how - if they did cancel it I have a feeling that NYRA would never recover their lease.

I've got to think if they did close a track it wouldn't be Belmont, more likely Aqueduct. And, if they did close Belmont (not likely) they could have the Belmont Stakes at Aqueduct, or start Saratoga early. Heck, it could even go to a non-NYRA track like Finger Lakes.

An example - early on, the Preakness Stakes moved around a bit. In the late 1900s it relocated to Morris Park (NY) for one season. After that it moved to Gravesend (NY) for fifteen years. The Preakness came home to 'Old Hilltop' in 1909, I believe.

The point I'm trying to make is that I can't see a future without the Triple Crown in some format with the original stakes included. NYRA would be shooting itself in the foot if they actually pulled off dropping the Belmont Stakes or closing Belmont. But, there again, racing organizations have been known to pull some amazingly stupid stuff....

Hallie
Hallie I. McEvoy
Racing Dreams, LLC

Barnfairy
Dec. 21, 2009, 02:54 PM
Heck, [the Belmont] could even go to a non-NYRA track like Finger Lakes.
Hmm.

That would be interesting.

D'you suppose it'd still be called the Belmont?

Along those lines, if Finger Lakes had a G1, would it be called "the Finger Lakes" or just "Finger Lakes"?

:winkgrin:

danceronice
Dec. 21, 2009, 03:29 PM
One could argue that the race is named for Mr. Belmont, not for the track it's on (which is named for....) Therefore you could run it anywhere and still call it the Belmont Stakes.

Barnfairy
Dec. 21, 2009, 03:34 PM
One could argue that the race is named for Mr. Belmont...Yes but that doesn't work as well for poking lighthearted fun at on a blustery cold day.

EponaRoan
Dec. 21, 2009, 03:38 PM
Along those lines, if Finger Lakes had a G1, would it be called "the Finger Lakes" or just "Finger Lakes"?

:winkgrin:

I think they should just call it "The Finger". :lol:;)

Barnfairy
Dec. 21, 2009, 04:12 PM
I think they should just call it "The Finger". :lol:;)Now that's the spirit.

Hooraaaaaaaaaayy! *clap clap clap clap clap*

ArthurGuinness
Dec. 21, 2009, 09:03 PM
I think they should just call it "The Finger". :lol:;)

You made me spit my Diet Coke out!! Too funny!!

CharingHounds
Dec. 23, 2009, 06:08 PM
Sometimes they call us "the Thumb". ... which makes me really want to use The Finger!:lol:

Chall
Dec. 23, 2009, 07:34 PM
Well, one year ago, two years ago wasn't the land sold to real estate developers with a "promise" that the race could go on? To me that's the bottom line. It could be the aqueduct but I think it was the belmont. I was not happy with that sale.

ivy62
Dec. 23, 2009, 10:09 PM
I just do not unserdatnd this state. Didn't they re-sign the contract with a company who ran these tracks near bankrupt? I would hate to see the Belmont move but to survive I would understand. I think these issues only scratch the surface of the racing woes in NY though.....