PDA

View Full Version : Texas Rose XC course thread--Stuart changed to Carsten

purplnurpl
Dec. 21, 2009, 10:20 AM
And I must say that I think he's done us well.

He has taken to course design and building.
I schooled some of his work this weekend and found his thought process brilliant.

I have so many great things to say.

*He put out fantastic questions with terrain booby traps. :lol:
*He so nicely set up the young horses for technical questions with a friendly coop or like fence on a turn to help collect after a long gallop.
*Everything is natural or natural looking (you all know that I dislike circus act fences on XC (-) the occasional dog house) and all was REALLY fun/friendly.
His water jump was REALLY fun!! It was coops to a bank up and then straight down a hill about 4 strides into the water--gallop flat on the way out up a hill over some logs or coop.

Everything was nice enough that my little kid had plenty to school.

I think we have found his place in the eventing world.

Great job Stuart.

sisu27
Dec. 21, 2009, 10:41 AM
Huh. We were just talking about him on the weekend and wondering what had become of him.

Interesting.

flutie1
Dec. 21, 2009, 11:40 AM
And I must say that I think he's done us well.

He has taken to course design and building.
I schooled some of his work this weekend and found his thought process brilliant.

I have so many great things to say.

*He put out fantastic questions with terrain booby traps. :lol:
*He so nicely set up the young horses for technical questions with a friendly coop or like fence on a turn to help collect after a long gallop.
*Everything is natural or natural looking (you all know that I dislike circus act fences on XC (-) the occasional dog house) and all was REALLY fun/friendly.
His water jump was REALLY fun!! It was coops to a bank up and then straight down a hill about 4 strides into the water--gallop flat on the way out up a hill over some logs or coop.

Everything was nice enough that my little kid had plenty to school.

I think we have found his place in the eventing world.

Great job Stuart.

That's good to hear. Things have a way of unraveling in his life for whatever reason, and I hope he's now "turned the corner." Say Hi for me when you next see him.

Flutie

archieflies
Dec. 21, 2009, 11:59 AM
Is this in Tyler? Are the courses there finished? Wooohooo!

Can't WAIT to go school... hmmm... must go next week!

alicen
Dec. 21, 2009, 02:58 PM
*Everything is natural or natural looking (you all know that I dislike circus act fences on XC (-) "

I sometimes wonder what the old time military riders would think about jumping duckies in the water and cheese wedges with mousie heads.

RunForIt
Dec. 21, 2009, 05:01 PM
*Everything is natural or natural looking (you all know that I dislike circus act fences on XC (-) "

I sometimes wonder what the old time military riders would think about jumping duckies in the water and cheese wedges with mousie heads.

would be interesting to ask General Burton...with Snickers in hand, of course! Happy to hear good things about Stuart!

clivers
Dec. 21, 2009, 05:12 PM
[QUOTE=alicen;4569215]*Everything is natural or natural looking (you all know that I dislike circus act fences on XC (-) "

I sometimes wonder what the old time military riders would think about jumping duckies in the water and cheese wedges with mousie heads.[/QUOTE

My longtime coach is a Hungarian cavalry man and thinks the cheese and ducks are shit!

IrishWillow
Dec. 21, 2009, 05:39 PM
A couple of the girls from my barn are riding with him - I think they're really enjoying it.

I'm trying to get up the nerve to go XC schooling with him!

Toadie's mom
Dec. 22, 2009, 03:02 PM
I was just thinking about calling him to tell him how wonderful the horse is that I bought "out from under him". JUST KIDDING! It's a long story, but I told him about the horse and he wanted him, but just couldn't get the funds together soon enough. I hit a deer and totaled my car, so instead of buying another car, I bought a new horse :D

cyriz's mom
Dec. 22, 2009, 03:59 PM
TM -

I would like to say that I can't believe you did that, however, I can totally believe it! LOL Email me when you have time and tell me all about him.

fanfayre
Dec. 22, 2009, 07:44 PM
I always had a blast riding with Stuart way back when in Ontario, and always learned a ton (metric :cool:;)), even though my own coach was fantastic.
He's the reason I have the mare my screen name is from.
Next time you see or are conversing with him, please say hello for me; I used to ride a huge palomino at Prelim the same time he was riding a CB/TB gelding.

gardenie
Dec. 22, 2009, 09:54 PM
Stuart has always been a genius on building schooling complexes, nice to see he's going on to full courses.

purplnurpl
Jan. 5, 2010, 09:15 AM
Oh Stuart.
ooops!
Apparently he was fired about the time I started the OP--and now Carsten Meyer is finishing the work.
No idea why.

But I like Carsten! I took a few lessons from him before bumping up to Prelim in 2007.

And he changed my life in the jumpers when I was riding my lil TK mare. : ) (early 2000s)

Now that I have two boys up and working I need to give him a call and school Holly Hill before their Rec HT.

SueCoo2
Jan. 12, 2010, 01:54 PM
What facility is this at, and do you know where Stuart Black has gone to?:confused:

purplnurpl
Jan. 12, 2010, 02:36 PM
ya he does work all around DFW. And I think he lives in the Dallas area as well.
: )

He's on facebook.

alval23
Jan. 21, 2010, 12:42 PM
I went to go school Texas Rose a few weekends ago and I did not like the thought process at all. The hill is a great idea but i didn't like how it was all on that hill. That property is HUGE and the XC is in a very restricting space.

As for why Stewart is no longer there... I believe its because he never actually got his Designer license when he was in Canada.

As i heard it.. he started building the coarse at Texas Rose, said his coarse designer license would transfer and everything was good. Then come to find out he never finished the program just took a few classes on Coarse Designing. i could be wrong.

Who's planning on showing Texas Rose? I was thinking about it but money is tight and I'm very unsure about their XC coarse (it still needs a lot of work before they can open for a show. And when i went to go school, I just couldn't piece together the coarse in my head) I might still go the weekend of the show just to see how it all turns out.

nature
Jan. 21, 2010, 03:12 PM
I went to go school Texas Rose a few weekends ago and I did not like the thought process at all. The hill is a great idea but i didn't like how it was all on that hill. That property is HUGE and the XC is in a very restricting space.

As for why Stewart is no longer there... I believe its because he never actually got his Designer license when he was in Canada.

As i heard it.. he started building the coarse at Texas Rose, said his coarse designer license would transfer and everything was good. Then come to find out he never finished the program just took a few classes on Coarse Designing. i could be wrong.

Who's planning on showing Texas Rose? I was thinking about it but money is tight and I'm very unsure about their XC coarse (it still needs a lot of work before they can open for a show. And when i went to go school, I just couldn't piece together the coarse in my head) I might still go the weekend of the show just to see how it all turns out.

CD:X-C: Carsten Meyer, LA

purplnurpl
Jan. 21, 2010, 04:11 PM

I was guessing that the information was a little odd and that he probably was replaced (not fired) because he was not licensed.

I was unable to piece a course together as you mentioned. But apparently they are working around the clock to get things ready for the HT.
Carsten is a clever guy. He'll have it up and running in time.
I wonder if there are specific reasons why the XC stayed in the one area...?

I entered today. : )

TRHP is a sure thing. Even if it rains dressage and XC will always be a go due to the all weather arenas.

Divine Comedy
Jan. 21, 2010, 11:38 PM
I'll be heading out there for the show in February. Filling out my entry tomorrow, a bit late, but I needed to confirm my trailer ride out to Tyler.

My friend and I went and checked it out last weekend. Looks pretty nice, maybe a touch concerned about the footing in the water jump. I'm hoping they weren't done with it, but otherwise, everything looks quite fun.

Will be doing Prelim for a dry run before heading to Poplar CIC* in March.

purplnurpl
Jan. 22, 2010, 09:58 AM
yey! DC!

glad you are going.
I'm poor, hauling in last minute and staying with a friend so I would not have been able to take anyone--

--but otherwise you can always give me a ring for a trailer ride!

Divine Comedy
Jan. 22, 2010, 11:12 AM
Thanks! But Jessica Pye is going to bring her horse back into showing, and we're going to take her trailer and stay in it as well. (LQ, lucky girl!)

The joys of being trailerless....

But I think it should be super fun!

archieflies
Feb. 7, 2010, 03:50 PM
OK, I just got back from schooling at the Rose this morning, and, like purplnurpl, I cannot imagine how they're putting all that together for a course... in just three weeks.

The water complex, while currently dry, looked terrifying and very much incomplete... I couldn't quite figure out where they're going with it. Surely there's no part of it that BN can even do, and I didn't see an option that I would *like* on Novice, though I'm sure it's part of the course.

The brush jumps in/out of the grand prix ring, followed by a dip then a quick couple strides up the steep embankment to the log on top... yeah, I'm going to cry if any part of that's on Novice (which my trainer insists it will be, based on the sizes). Couldn't school that today because the footing was slick and the dip at the bottom of the hill was all washed out. That's going to be my mental bogie since I couldn't school it today.

I did like the bank complexes, though the ramp up/down is steep, and the ditch complex in the far corner rode nicely as well. If someone has a run-out and tries to loop back around, they'll have to watch for some well-camouflaged holes/humongous gorges off to the right. I hope some of the rough spots in the terrain are flagged on show day, as I came across a lot of craggly ground.

No matter how they piece it together, it looks like the Rose is going to have much more technical courses than elsewhere in Area V (well, I haven't been to feather Creek, so I can't compare to that). In some areas, it was hard to figure out which jumps were which level, because jumps that looked like Novice height would be part of a question that I'm not used to at Novice. The terrain is more hilly with more dips, ditches, and washed out areas than the other local venues, so just working around that makes for a challenging course. With it so packed together, there's no good, flat gallops except maybe right out of the start box, and the jumps are really tightly packed in some areas.

The footing is another worry. The clay is just plain slick in some areas, especially with the rain lately and all the rain still to come next week. With people having schooled yesterday and this morning, and a lot more showing up this afternoon as I was leaving, some places were getting pretty chewed up already. I tried to take the stepped chevron thingy (excuse my lack of proper terminology) that I thought was probably Training level, and my mare was willing for once, but when she hit the clay about a stride out, she slid and went skidding right into the jump, twice. We gave up on that one, but it took a while to get her confidence back. Every time she felt the footing get slightly slick, she skidded to a stop. I really hope that we get some sun for at least a week or two before the show to dry things up.

Putting it all together, I'm a bit concerned about the speed for Novice. The omnibus says 400 mpm, which is ok, but faster than I would expect for the first show of the season. Especially since most local venues will still be doing 375 even late in the season. (actually, I just checked- of those who have info already in the omnibus, no other show will be at 400, and most are actually 350!) But with the likelihood of tight, twisty jumping questions and few flat areas to just gallop, 400 is going to be hauling butt... and with slick footing, I don't like that at all. Not at Novice.

I'm probably just a big baby, but I really prefer nice, open galloping courses. This should satisfy whoever complained a few months ago about Area V courses not being 'up to par' with the rest of the country. :)

Good things... BN jumps look to be mostly logs. Jumps are pretty and well-constructed, none that look terrifying by themselves. The barns are soooo nice. Arenas too. While I might stress out about cross country (which, to be honest, is probably still completely do-able despite my whining), the rest should be a pleasant, smooth weekend. Hey, it's luxury to me, since the last place I showed was Corona! And, for me, it's close to home. (So if I turn wheenie all the sudden, I can be gone and curled up in my own bed before anyone misses me!)

Well, hopefully some others that schooled this weekend will put in their two cents. I'm not exactly the most experienced eventer, so others may have very different opinions.

Toadie's mom
Feb. 7, 2010, 07:42 PM
Archiflies, I admire you for trying to school anywhere this weekend! I'll admit I'm WAY more chicken than I used to be, but it was even bad at my house which is all sand. I thought it had dried out enough to jump Fri. so I rode for a while then decided to longe Bella over a new fence and she fell when turning after it because it was so slick. I feel sooooo bad :cry: It rained again all day today.

archieflies
Feb. 7, 2010, 09:50 PM
Well, it hasn't rained since Friday morning. We just didn't get nearly as much rain this far east. I am still surprised they're keeping the course open.

purplnurpl
Feb. 8, 2010, 10:28 AM
Oh I loved the water! we schooled the entire thing.
I jumped up the bank, ran down the hill, through the water, and up the hill over a log with my BN/N horse.
The footing in the water was perfect when we were there. It looks to be deep sand but then we walked out onto it and it was perfect....

I think it will be fine. I didn't know that novice is running at 400mpm but that will def help me out as I have a lil guy that really covers the ground. I like to let'um roll.

My horse is not shoed or tapped either. We were there on a rather damp day schooling as well but for some reason I didn't even notice there was clay? hum...

We just need to pray the rain will cut it out a little after this week. yuck.

archieflies
Feb. 8, 2010, 10:16 PM
Huh, I don't know what they're doing with the water then. It was drained and there were big stacks of hay bales at the base of the slope down into the water. I guess it was difficult to gauge how the complex would work without seeing where the water level would be. It definitely wasn't schoolable with hay bales all over the place.

Did you get to school any of the brushes in/out of the arena when you were there in Dec?

purplnurpl
Feb. 9, 2010, 09:14 AM
Ya I did those too.

Scary doesn't understand brush yet though. It was quite funny.
He galloped up very confident, then stalled and leaped into the air like a deer and landed four footed.

I had my friend lead me out to hopefully keep him moving more forward rather than...up...lol.

I would think that they would have to be the very last fences on course, then a gallop down that huge hill through the finish flags--?