PDA

View Full Version : Timeline for the H-B?

ohhthatgirl
Dec. 20, 2009, 10:54 PM
Hi all,

My ultimate pony club goal was to get my B. However, as the time and horse availabilities decrease, so does my optimism to achieve it. Therefore, I'm taking a more realistic view of it: I want my H.

I'm currently a C2. The summer before college I was aiming to get my C3, but my horse decided to abscess a week before. Awesome. I also got out of the pony club scene right around the same time the H-B and speciality ratings rolled in. I have a general understanding of how the whole "tree" thing works, but I want some responses of those who have completed the H-B, specifically college students.

I'm in the middle of my third year, and I'm in a fairly demanding program. I recently passed all of our GPA and portfolio cuts so, I don't it will be as intense as it has been. Still hard-working, yes, but I feel like I know how to manage it now. How many hours a week did you spend studying for the H-B? Was it easy for you to fit the extra studying in with the rest of your activities? Would Summer 2010 be a realistic deadline to test? And would anyone care to give me a timeline of their studying for this?

I know I'll be kicking myself if I don't try. I always wanted to "graduate" in the upper level ratings. And I realize that since I have absolutely no desire to go pro or even past prelim, that the knowledge is really what I'm after. The only roadblock that I see for H is my C3. My riding has been sparse throughout the last year, and I don't have a horse for it. However, I did see this new H-HM rating on the USPC site? From my understanding, its for H-Bs to test for the H-A without the C3 or B? Any confirmation on that would be awesome. If I could do that, I'd be happy. I could work on the C3 later... whenever the pony, time, or money comes back. Hello, gap years... :rolleyes:

Thank you in advance! Very much appreciated!

eventingismylife
Dec. 21, 2009, 12:40 AM
I know what you are talking about with the new proposal for the Horsemanship/knowledge based ratings in pony club. As of now all that I know is that you must be a C3 to get you HA rating, as for your HB you only need your C2-which you already know. Also, most of my friends that have taken their HB, have used one summer to prepare for the rating itself and then attended a rating at the end of the summer. What I have works the most for studying for you HB is to study EVERYTHING like you are going to go to a quiz rally or champs for quiz, because you never know what you are going to have to answer, identify, etc when you get there. I hope I helped!

Lone
Dec. 21, 2009, 01:07 AM
I took it back when the C3 encompassed everything, but it doesn't look like the standard has changed too much. I've helped a ton of kids prep and get ready for it.

As long as you can start studying some now, this summer should be totally realistic. I've found that typing up a study guide for yourself is the best way to go. Try and make yourself a study calendar and maybe try and get some reading and a section of the standard (such as farrier, feeding, etc) done each week. Type up ALL the info you'll need to know under that section that you've gathered from the manual as well as some of the extra readings. By the time you're done with that you'll have all the info in one document to study from, and you'll also learn quite a bit just in the process of doing the guide. From there, it depends how you study best. I ended up making myself flash cards

If you don't have access to a horse while you're in school I would focus on getting all the memorizing of stuff done before school gets out this spring. That way you can really focus on the bandaging. But of course, if you can start working on bandages now as well, you'll be much better off!

shea'smom
Dec. 21, 2009, 07:57 AM
You are correct that you will be able to take the HB and then the HA. So that is the perfect route for you while in school.
Are you familiar with the HB cards? They are what we actually use at the test. You can buy a set from the PC book store.
If you look through the standards you will probably find that you know a lot of the stuff already.
You also need to prep with someone on analyzing a horse's conformation and age. This may be the only part that you will need an instructor to help you with. Otherwise, you should be able to prepare on your own.

Next summer is totally doable. The HA however, requires a lot of prep, study, longeing, teaching.... etc.
Good luck.